Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

My Stonehell campaign part I
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Promotion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: My Stonehell campaign part I Reply with quote

I'm currently recruiting 3 to 6 players (from these boards and a few other forums) for an online Stonehell campaign.

EDIT : Recruitment is currently closed.

Introduction :

Over two hundred years ago, the then despotic ruler of Torsche built a sprawling dungeon with the help of his foul vizier. It was hoped that the construction of such a terrible place would inspire fear in his subjects and quell any desire of rebellion. The vizier also used this opportunity to conduct a cruel social experiment on its inmates by having them dig their own sordid prison complex in exchange for food and having them rule over their own "stone hell" in seclusion from civilization. As expected by the vizier, the prisoners quickly fell into violence, insanity, and depravity as the excavations grew deeper. Countless more inmates were fed to the sinister dungeon for decades up until this all but forgotten ruler and his tyrannical regime were overthrown. Stonehell has since been abandoned but horrifying rumors of the cannibal descendants of the prison's original inmates still abound. Over time, this forsaken place has become the refuge for practitioners of dark arts, followers of vile religions, bands of brigands, fierce humanoids tribes, and fiendish creatures; and for some mysterious reason their ranks keep swelling. Bands of fearless adventurers regularly plumb the depths of the former prison. Those who return do so laden with riches won from that which still malingers within, but many do not return at all.

Inspired by the tales of others, your character has decided to use Torsche, which offers all the required services, as a home base to explore the depths of Stonehell either for fortune, glory, power, knowledge, or some other motivation. He or she has joined forces with fellow adventurers of the mountain city in order to simply have a fighting chance against the evils it harbors.

This campaign is meant to be a old-school mega-dungeon crawl based on Michael Curtis' work (please don't spoil the fun by consulting a copy). It is held in my own adaptation of the Twylos setting.

Rules :

The campaign will be run with the Wayfarers core book and the following house rules. For those unfamiliar with the rules set, although not required, I highly recommend purchasing the pdf (or even better, the book). A preview of the rules is also available and it's complete enough to start playing. Players unfamiliar with the system are welcome. It should be easy to learn for anyone who has experience with any edition of D&D. It can be described as a classless, modern, and streamlined evolution of 2E AD&D.

It will be played online via the ScreenMonkey virtual table and Skype. It's easy to use and players do not need to spend or install anything. It simply runs off your basic Internet browser (Internet Explorer is recommended for optimal compatibility).

I'm hoping to hold a session every two weeks. I'm available on most weeknights and weekends. Each session will be scheduled from this thread as we go along, depending on everyones' availability and time zone. The link for the sessions will be announced on this site. I will privately message you the password to join the game. For the sake of simplicity, it would be better if you use your character's name as a username when logging in.

EDIT: Players are expected to visit this thread at least once a week to get the latest news about the campaign. This minimal level of dedication is necessary in order to stick with a biweekly gaming schedule.

Appointed sessions will take place if at least three players are present. The character of absentees will remain inactive and will be considered to have remained in town or any other convenient explanation. They will therefore not receive any skill points nor share of treasure during their absence.

Please note that, although I took time to get familiar with the rules and software, I'm still new to the Wayfarers rules set and this will be my first online gaming experience. Somewhat of a learning curve is to be expected. Thank you for your patience!

Signing-up :

You will first need to create a 1st skill level character and post it in this thread. Here's a sample character write-up (including house rules) to be used as a template :

Father Example
Skill level: 3 (Priest of Kithain)
Race: Human
A: 12, E: 11, I: 8, P: 13, S: 12
Magic: Faith (1st; 2, Benefaction1 (+1 magic healing bonus), Revelation2, and Tellurgy3)
Dodge: 12 (11 with impedance)
Health points: 17
Healing bonus : +1
Physical resist: +1
Mental resist: +0
Base to-hit: +0
Armor: B1d2/E1d3 (chain mail)
Initiative modifier: +1 (+0 with impedance)
Impedance: -1
Feats of strength modifier: +2
Carrying capacity: 60 lbs
Run/walk/passive/swim/jump: 110/55'/28'/10/3&7' (with impedance)
Skill points: 40, DP: 5, PP: 1

1 x mace (+2, +1): 1d6+2

Disciplines: Armor Use II, Faith Magic Potential, Increased Accuracy I, Language (Drohkan), Literacy, Weapon Mastery I (A).

Proficiencies: Animal Handling I (dogs & cattle), Healing II, Local Knowledge II (Malforten), Magic Acuity I, Perception I, Religious Knowledge II, Riding I, Rope Use I, Wilderness Lore I.

Equipment: 71 sc, 210 cc, potions of healing (2), scrolls of courage, hesitate & silence and a ring of strength (+2 for 10 rounds once per day).

Please include a short paragraph describing your character's appearance, background, and motivations. A portrait (picture or drawing) of your character will also be required to generate a token.

If you need help finding a portrait for your character, I've assembled a large collection from all over the Net :

Male human portraits (priests, rogues, warriors, and wizards)
Female human portraits (priests, rogues, warriors, and wizards)
Male non-human portraits (dwarves, elves, goblinoids, and smallfolk)
Female non-human portraits (dwarves, elves, goblinoids, and smallfolk)

If you have trouble finding a name for your character, try this site.

Click here for pre-generated attribute combination sets.

Although not mandatory, you can keep track of your character by using one of the character sheets found here.

I'm ready to start playing as soon as we have some players.

This should be fun! Smile

Your GM for the campaign,

MX

Stonehell Episode Recaps :

Episode I
Episode II
Episode III
Episode IV

Last edited by Metathiax on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:31 am; edited 15 times in total
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I'd like to be in this but I am underwater at the moment. This sounds like good times.

I've never played over a virtual table before.
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be more than welcome to join in once you surface. Wink
GlassSnake
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: -Carefully enters- Reply with quote

Well... I'm here now. Mildly intimidated by new surroundings, but here.

Okay, so the questions of character creation shall begin! (Because I'm annoying and ask too many apparently.) Since I don't have the full PDF, what's the "Optional Character Races?" May we use them? I would be eternally grateful if I could pick something of a race other then the general choices. -gag- I've played so many Elves/Half-Elves/Humans that I try to avoid it the best I can. I like being an individual and choosing really WEIRD races to play.

Shouldn't be too hard to follow, even if you're new to the system. I can easily say I'd take responsibility for him and keeping track of whatever "extra skills" they might have. -shrug-
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will allow the following optional races if you come up with an interesting character concept, which I'm sure you will. I just don't want to allow optional races just for mechanical incentives (ex. to get a bonus to a certain attribute).

In addition to the base Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Hobgoblin (orc/goblin hybrid), Human, and Orc; I will allow the Cambion (human/demon offspring), Gnome, Goblin, Ogre, Ratkin (ratman), and Reptilian (lizardman). The details concerning the optional races can be found on pages 45-46 of the preview file. Also note that orcs (and therefore half-orcs) are more common, civilized and not as reviled in this setting.

Note that there is no dice-rolling during character creation.

STEP 1 : Attributes

There are 5 attributes : Agility, Endurance, Intellect, Presence, and Strength. They are pretty self-explanatory if you are familiar with D&D except for Presence which can be described as wisdom and charisma rolled into one.

The normal attribute range is 5-16 (instead of the usual 3-18) with 8-11 as average values. Attributes below 5 (min 1) or over 16 (max 20) are exceptionally low or high.

New characters get 35 points to spend on their attributes scores (see Table 2.1.1 on page 10 of the preview file) but the easiest way to go about this is to simply pick a pre-generated set (see the link in this thread's first post). Racial adjustments are applied afterwards.

A series of secondary traits are derived from the attributes such as Health Points, Dodge (the equivalent of armor class), Physical & Mental Resistance (the equivalent of saving throws), Initiative, and Armor Impedance. I can calculate them for you if you want.

STEP 2 : Disciplines

Since this a classless game, you get points to buy disciplines (abilities) for your character. You can therefore build your own custom class. Humans get 45 points and other races get 40 points. There is a list (Table 2.1.12) on page 16 of the preview file. Obviously, the disciplines are not all described in the preview file. I'll help you with that.

I will also allow the following optional disciplines if they fit your character concept : Arcana, Berserker, Cantrip, Conversational Casting, Forte, Improved Disarm, Inspired, Iron Skin, Jack-of-all-trades, Linguist, Luck, Magus, Natural, Still Spell, Uncanny, as well as the Lesser Faith Magic disciplines found in the 2nd issue of the Wayfarers Guild Journal.

Note that discipline points can also be used to buy additional proficiencies (skills, addressed in step 3) but proficiency points cannot be used to buy additional disciplines. The first grade of any of the disciplines can be purchased at 1st level with the exception of Increased Attribute and all of the Spell Circle disciplines.

I first suggest that you come up with a character concept. Then, ask yourself the following general questions to guide you in the process : Do you want your character to wield magic? If so, is it arcane (wizard-like) or divine (cleric-like) magic? If not, do you want your character to be more skill-based (rogue-like) or combat-based (warrior-like).

If you are totally lost, you can simply state what class you would like your character to correspond to and I have pre-generated 1st level characters that are ready to go.

STEP 3 : Proficiencies

New characters get 20 proficiency points to spend. A list of the proficiencies can be found on page 19 of the preview file (see table 2.1.14).

The first grade of any of the proficiencies can be purchased at 1st level.

As said before, left-over discipline points (if any) can be spent to buy additional proficiencies.

Note that all initial discipline and proficiency points must be spent upon character creation (no left-overs).

STEP 4 : Equipment

New characters get their presence x 12 silver coins to spend on their starting equipment, armor, and weapons (armor and weapons lists can be found on pages 91-92 of the preview file).

Here is a list of equipment prices which is further extended in my house rules document.

The exchanges of coins in Twylos go as follow :

1 platinum coin (pc) = 10 gold coins (gc) = 100 silver coins (sc) = 1000 copper coins (cc) = 10 000 bronze coins (bc)

STEP 5 : Background

As said before, please include a short paragraph describing your character's appearance, background, and motivations. A portrait (picture or drawing) of your character will also be required to generate a token.

That pretty much sums the whole process. Upon leveling-up, characters get additional health, discipline and proficiency points.

EDIT : Added optional disciplines, the Spell Circle disciplines as exceptions which cannot be purchased upon character creation, a list of equipment prices, and the currency system of the Twylos setting.

Last edited by Metathiax on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:03 am; edited 5 times in total
GlassSnake
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Leezard~ Reply with quote

Viva la leeeeezard! I shall make one! Hurray!
Don't worry, he'll be friendly. n.n and extremely curious about other humanoids... Will post him once I'm done. Has a few things to do first.

Is anyone else playing yet?
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, don't hesitate if you have some questions. I'll be happy to answer them.

You are the first but I've just started a more "aggressive" advertising phase and it appears to be giving some results. Smile
GiGGles
Strategoi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets play.... it wont let me open the pdf's says something about a .NetFramework..
What are the Classes available.?
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giggles, this is odd, try getting the preview pdf from this page (first link).

Wayfarers is a classless system. You can custom-build your own class by buying abilities. All of the standard fantasy archetypes can be easily created.
GiGGles
Strategoi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHARACTER:
NAME: Baldernsnatchgwinldinthorpinstring III
RACE: Gnome
HEIGHT: 3' 2"
WEIGHT: 49
SEX: Male
HAIR COLOR: Ragged Brown
EYE COLOR: L/Blue R/Green
HANDEDNESS: Left

BACKGROUND: B comes from a long line of Mystical Antique Collectors full of life and seeking adventure to start his own family lineage Baldern is more interested in stuff rather that people. Fun going and Friendly
(if not involved in stuff) String III's motto in life is "Run away and Live another day".

Weapons: Dagger, Knife

Armor: Leather

Agility: 13
Endurance: 12
Intellect: 14
Presence: 7
Strength: 9

DISCIPLINES
Armor Use I
Extra Spell Point
Health Point I
Hedge Magic Potential
Language (Drohkan, ?)
Literacy
Silent Casting
Spell Circle Hedge

PROFICIENCIES 20
Acrobatics I
Climbing I
Healing I (+1)
Martial Knowledge I (+1)
Lock Picking I
Riding I
Swimming I
Magic Acuity I (+1)

Last edited by GiGGles on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting character, well done Giggles, you are a fast learner.

Here's your character write-up :

Baldernsnatchgwinldinthorpinstring III (Baldern String III)
Skill level: 1 (Rogue/Illusionist)
Race: Gnome
Low-light vision, Direction sense, May not use class B, E or F weapons
57 years old male, 3'2", 49 lbs, ragged brown hair, L/blue R/green eyes, left handed
A: 13, E: 12, I: 14, P: 7, S: 9
Magic: Hedge (1st; 3; 5% casting failure)
Dodge: 12 (with impedance)
Health points: 13
Healing bonus : +0
Physical resist: +1
Mental resist: +1
Armor: B1/E1 (leather)
Initiative modifier: +0 (with impedance)
Impedance: -1
Feats of strength modifier: -2
Carrying capacity: 45 lbs
Run/walk/passive/swim/jump: 110/55'/28'/20/2&6' (with impedance)
Skill points: 0, DP: 0, PP: 0

Weapons: 1 x Dagger (+0, +0); 1d4

Disciplines: Armor Use I, Extra Spell (1st Circle), Health Point I, Hedge Magic Potential, Language (Drohkan, Valan), Literacy, Silent Casting I

Proficiencies: Acrobatics I (-1), Climbing I (-1), Healing I (+1), Lock-picking I (-1), Magic Acuity I (+1), Martial Knowledge I (+1), Riding I (-1), Sleight-of-hand I (-1), Swimming I

Equipment: 1 sc, 5 cc, 2 bc, spell book (36/40 pages), lock picks, garrot, knife, clothing, boots, belt, belt pouch, cloak (with hidden pockets), backpack, flint & steel, ink bottle, quills (2), rope (20 ft), candles (4), torches (3), oil flask, bedroll.

Spells: 1st; Darkness, Friends, Minor Phantasm, Phantom Sight

B comes from a long line of Mystical Antique Collectors full of life and seeking adventure to start his own family lineage. Baldern is more interested in stuff rather than people. Fun going and friendly (if not involved in stuff), String III's motto in life is "Run away and Live another day".

EDIT : Added missing information to Baldern's write-up.

Gnomes receive a +1 adjustment to INT and -1 to STR (I adjusted your stats accordingly), low-light vision, and direction sense but can't use class B, E or F weapons because of their small size.

Because of Baldern's high intelligence, he is automatically literate and speaks two languages. I've taken the liberty of selecting the regional language for you but you may select a second language from pages 71-72 of the preview file.

The first spell circle is obtained free upon the purchase of Hedge Magic Potential (and you will have to level-up to get the second circle). You therefore still have 9 points to spend on disciplines or proficiencies.

By the way, at some point, you might consider buying Dweomercraft (Hedge) should you want your character to be able to research spells and create potions or scrolls.

As far as equipment goes, there is a list of weapons and armor with prices on pages 91-92 of the preview file. I'm also asking permission from the author to give access to the price lists for the rest of the stuff.

You can also either pick 3 first circle spells and 1 second circle spell (you won't be able to use the second circle spell until you purchase the required discipline) or 4 first circle spells (the spells are listed on page 27 of the preview file).

I've already created a token with your character's sketch.

Last edited by Metathiax on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
crawford
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Thanos Lightbringer

Skill level: 1
Race: Dwarf
A: 8, E: 14, I: 9, P: 14, S: 10
Magic: Faith
Dodge: 8
Health points: 14
Physical resist: +0
Mental resist: +2
Initiative modifier: +0

Disciplines: Faith Magic Potential, Armor Use
Proficiencies: Healing, Religious Knowledge, Inspire, Magic Acuity, Ancient History, Engineering

I don't have the background story or equipment yet, but will finish up the character once I get back from vacation next week. Smile
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Equipment Reply with quote

Hey all. Meta requested an equipment list. Hope this helps:

GiGGles
Strategoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciplines
Extra Spell Point
Silent Casting
2 points left .. what can i do

Spells
Darkness
Friends
Minor Phantasm
Phantom Sight

How about
dagger 18sc
leather armor 40sc
cloak w/hidden pockets 2sc for pockets
1garrot ??
2. flint and steel /knife 6sc
3. ink and quill 4parchment
l4. lock picks 8sc
backpack 1sc
thin rope 5cc
tome w/ 5 extra parchment
4 candles 8bc
2 quills
2 ink 10cc
3 torches 3cc
oil flask 5cc
food/water ??
bedroll 1sc
boots 2sc
/ clothing 10cc
belt
70sc 38cc 8bc

languages: ?
what do you think.?

Last edited by GiGGles on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giggles, remember that left-over discipline points can also be used to purchase proficiencies.

Also, your net impedance is -1 (-1 from STR, -1 from leather armor and +1 from Armor Use) while wearing leather armor. It's not terrible but it does bring a 5% chance of arcane spell failure. Another rank of Armor Use would negate this but it cannot be bought until you level-up.

As for the second language, here is the map of Twylos. The game is set in Drohksmere (the eastern portion of the continent), hence Drohkan as a first language choice. You can look at neighbouring regions to choose your second language.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Promotion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: