Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Out of town.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Table-talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Out of town. Reply with quote

Yo dudes. I am going to China tomorrow. I'll be gone for 3 weeks.

I will have some internet, but it won't be consistent. I don't want DiD4 to die!
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I'll play Nitch and Brogg.
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good trip!
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how to say, "I want a lawyer. No, I'm Australian. I have big bribes."

I would learn those.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say that I am a hungry Canadian.

That works in most situations.
Salmonid
Demiurge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's pretty cool. Have fun over there. Are you going to Shanghai by any chance?
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salmonid wrote:
Hey, that's pretty cool. Have fun over there. Are you going to Shanghai by any chance?

Yeah, I was there for the last few days. Stayed at the Astor House. have you been there?

BTW, I might have enough access to keep up with DiD. Give me a day to figure that out.
Salmonid
Demiurge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me, but sometime in the near future my brother will be heading over there to teach. At some point I'm probably going to go visit, so I'm curious as to your impressions of the city - particularly the food! And getting around and whatnot.

Good luck with the access.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, once I get a chance, I relate what I can. Shanghai is crazy big, even by Chinese standards. I'm in the much more relaxing Hainan at the moment.

Check out this pic: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/3188872395_1f4ac7e2d5_b.jpg

I'll try to catch up with DiD and jump in soon!
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. That picture is crazy.
Salmonid
Demiurge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cool, thanks! At your leisure.
I must admit that I had never heard of Hainan, but google makes it look realll nice. Huge difference from the density in that pic. And some nice beaches, too.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back, and ready to roll!

Salmonid, I'll give you a Shanghai recap in the next few days.

Sorry about the job, Moth? Care to share?
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you back, Jim! How was your trip?

Re: the job. It was for a telemarketing firm. Ostensibly, the idea was that we would be calling to recruit volunteers for non-profit organizations. I thought it sounded great.

The work turned out to be really unpleasant, sitting in place for 8 hours reading the same script over and over, but whatever, I dealt with that. The really weird thing is, despite this being supposedly for charitable causes we're required to badger and push people really hard to volunteer and give money. We can't go off the script or we get reprimanded or fired. Following these draconian measures and inane, typo riddled scripts talks people out of volunteering or giving money more often than it works. And we're graded on our performance despite not being able to actually do anything that could really affect it.

Anyway, the work sucks, I keep looking for other jobs, but I'm sticking with it because I don't want to be unemployed. Then we start a new campaign for an organization I've never heard of. I noticed some funny things about the script this supposed non-profit had approved.

I did some research on my own and found out that this organization is a scam. Charity rating sites slammed it, and legitimate advocacy organizations detailed that this supposed non-profit spends tens of thousands on telemarketing services and paying administrator salaries and gives next to nothing (a couple hundred dollars) to those in need. I did all the fact checking I could, but it all said the same thing.

I shared my concerns with my supervisors, who were understanding and offered to put me on a different program. Then they said they couldn't, and didn't require me to work those days but let me know that they would count against my attendance. I thanked them and handed in my letter of resignation.

I'm not trying to bash on a former employer here- I understand that from a business perspective they can't really make sure that everyone who hires them is totally legit, it's the client organizations who are at fault, but I'm not willing to put my name on something I know is willfully deceptive (I was required to use my full real name on these calls to make them sound more legitimate.)

tl;dr: They wanted me to scam people so I resigned. But they were very nice about it.

Now I'm looking at grad schools, while trying to find another day job. I'm happy with the decision I made.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Moth.

I would love to have an employee like that.

I learned that threats from a boss are not worth thinking about. I have told bosses on multiple occasions that they could fire me if they want, they can reprimand me if they want, but I'm just gonna do my job the way I think is best. I worked tech support for a long time, and we had call times and all that bullshit. I ignored them and solved problems and the like. Some of my bosses hated me for messing with the stats, but the ones that got calls from happy customers had a different take on my service.

Long of the short of it is, metrics and scripts are bullshit for stupid people. I noticed that if you stay with it and get the job done, most bosses drop the script and attendance bullshit, and are happy to just have a competent person around, once one proves themself to be such.

anywho good for you for quitting.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good on you for taking the higher road, Moth. It sounds like you made the right move.

Good to be back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Table-talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: