Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Worried about two-weapons fighting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Worried about two-weapons fighting Reply with quote

[Warning]Nitpicking below[/Warning] Embarassed

Not that I'm obsessed with balance but I wonder if the -1 to-hit penalty to the on-hand attack is severe enough. Although there are mechanical incentives to using a two-handed weapon (added damage), a shield (added absorption), there appears to be virtually no point to using a single weapon over two weapons (which did not appear to be all that common historically). I would be tempted to impose half of the off-hand to-hit penalty to the on-hand attack instead of just -1.

Any thoughts on this?

MX
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weapon fighting is a sticky widget.

Too many people like it I think. And the problems with the ideas of differing weapons being used isn't addressed. Two daggers, no problem....two hand axes, different, two longswords....

I thought -1 penalty on hand was a bit soft. It's just too easy to fight with two shortswords and tear it up. Weapon focus, etc. Seems to push to a lot of two weapon fighters and then some sword and board guys, then your two handers.

I like seeing the odd PC that fights with shield and dagger. An in your face thug, and I bet they would do alright. The rules certainly don't favor shield and dagger the way that two weapon guys are, or the big tree trunk two handed guys.

Using a shield unskilled applies as much penalty to on hand in the rules currently. I do think it is harder to use two shortswords than to use a sword and shield, but I can't say I have much real world experience with it...

Perhaps it would be better to have a more severe penalty to both hands, and have ambidextrous scaled like armor use. Strength could be a modifier, and weapons would need to have their own impedance. You could simply have strength give an impedance modifier that could be distributed across armor and weapons, but I think the fear then would be book keeping, and shear strength shouldn't balance out difficulty of using of two weapons alone; some kind of skill should be represented in the disciplines.

those are my random thoughts.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, actually I think that shields are damn useful, maybe more useful than most armor in terms of not getting your head sliced off. And two weapons is always problematic.

Grayfaced is right. Two weapons is the crowd pleaser. I think a steeper on-hand penalty is fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: