Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Blacktooth Ridge in Twylos?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> World of Twylos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Blacktooth Ridge in Twylos? Reply with quote

Hi there, I would like to convert the Castles & Crusades A series adventure modules to Wayfarers and I'm wondering where could Blacktooth Ridge (here's a link to a map of the area) be located in Twylos. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MX
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey and welcome.

I'm not familiar with the module, but if you could give a briefish description of the environs, and the basic sort of political environment the place you are thinking of might be surrounded by, someone here can give you a very good answer to the question.

Just a bit more of talking.

Quote:
The Blacktooth Ridge lies far to the east and north of the Crusader States of Ephremere's making. This long, snake like ridge is fabled for its string of abandoned fortresses, treasure houses, temples and underground mansions. It invites many an adventurer seeking fame and fortune. It is an altogether dangerous place tainted with the evil of the Horned One and those who still worship him in hidden caves and temples.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=56222&filters=0_0_0_10126_0

That stuff?

That is what I could quickly gather from looking at their web stuff. It seems it is a series of adventures, and that you need them near a wealthy mine, a forest with some old ruins, and a town with a corrupt and bloated bureaucracy. Quick answer is no problem, that can be wherever you like it. Long answer is longer.

I would suggest that it be near a place with a strong Duuran presence, or Typhonic. Near a wood of some size, mountains, and then the town becomes the question. The other places are easy enough to put anywhere. So really it becomes a question of whether you want to take the adventure series and change it, and to what degree, and how much you want it to work in the world of Twylos as it is presented. To answer that last question I will wait a day or two to see if the author will chime in. I would vote Boardermarch, because it leaves so much of the rest of Twylos to be what it is. Gyre and other larger cities have a lot attached to them. Bordermarch is also away from many of the "heartland" areas that would have brought pressures more quickly to the situation. So then comes the question ultimately of why the adventurers are tasked with the mission (adventure).

I've typed a fair bit, and ultimately I would say you are running the game so you can put it where you like. If it is mostly a question of wanting to place the adventures in Twylos then I might ask what it is that you want from the Twylos setting? That way you can place the adventures near enough to the thing you like about Twylos, but far enough away from it to allow you to more easily insert the desired adventure material.

-TL What more precisely is it that you require for the setting to work? What do you want to add from Twylos, so you can have it be near? Are the end bad guys political or religious, are they in power or hiding, and is the party alone in this quest or do they have allies?

I'll stop now, and hope that will help, and if not, I'm sure a more qualified person can either answer the question, or help me do it.

Cheers, and thanks for asking.

EDIT you could also just drop the whole thing in some backwater part of the world, like northwest of Symestra and Half-moon Mountain. Instead of that place being unsettled, and boring, you could say have a whole thing going on there, and that thing can be the adventure modules you plan to run. In that case you just change the nouns you want to change. Cleric of BLAH is now Cleric of Twylos Blah, not too maybe sound too irreverent.
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Greyfaced.

I'll try to elaborate on some of my motivations for converting this series of adventures to Wayfarers and locating it in Twylos.

First, real life is now just keeping me too busy to allow me to design an elaborate campaign from scratch. I therefore would like to use published material to significantly reduce my GM preparation time. I would gladly use modules written with Wayfarers in mind but they are still very limited in numbers.

I also already own the A series of adventures but the C&C rules set doesn't do much for me. On the other hand, Wayfarers' system fits the bill to near perfection (this might actually be the first time I play a fantasy RPG by the book).

System-wise, I think the modules could be converted without too much effort. These modules offer the benefits of a modern layout, a pretty vanilla fantasy setting and a relatively rules-light system. I will obviously need to tweak some encounters, monsters and items but most of the work will probably go in adapting the NPC write-ups.

Setting-wise, I'm not worried about the politics of the region as much as its geography. I would see it located somewhere at the fringe of civilization with a temperate climate. As can be seen on the area's map, its western portion is all forests, its northern and eastern portions are plains and marshes can be found down south. The area also features a hills formation at its center. I'm still not sure if I'm going to change the names of the locations and characters involved but I sure would like to involve Twylos' religions and guilds.

I obviously do not expect to find a perfect match but I still would rather set the series in Twylos than simply use Wayfarers to run the series. This will also make adding new Wayfarers products to the mix much more easier.

MX
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grayfaced has it, and is as qualified around here as anyone about this, probably more than me at this point. Here's my two cents.

Basically, I'd put it at the outskirts of Drohskmere. My own bias is to start the PCs, and keep them adventuring for as long as possible, in the outskirts of the high societies of Gyre, Armech, and the Ixians. This gives them latitude to act independently- even as rogues, criminals, or heroes- and avoid the attention of the Old Money/Power groups around the perimeter of Twylos until they're willing and able to handle the higher intensity level.

Drohksmere is pretty fringe, with lots of quasi-independent border towns, especially far from Ullyade, Selhark, and Torsche. It's mostly temperate hills, and there's lots of small/med sized-forests on the map out of scale... it's easy to add some trees wherever. Thicker forests are found, now on the map, to the west and south, getting into the Myrinae swamps.

Alternatively, go west.

Bordermarch is about as mountainous as it comes, so maybe putting it further west into the Vehrlands would be preferable. That's often where I started my group. Same deal- far from Old Power groups, but lots of ancient undiscovered ruins with old wars/old religion themes.

The Vehrlands was purposely left under-developed to allow leeway like this, and has a similar sort of climate/geography.

Hope this helps, and good luck! Keep us posted. And thanks, glad you find this interesting and useful.
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think that Drohksmere will do fine.

Thanks guys!

MX
Dartavian
Strategoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good place to start. If you have the time keep us posted on how the campaign evolves.

Look foward to reading about it.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
- Albert Einstein
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to hear how this works out, Metathiax.

Another module is in the works for WGJ3. You'll need a body of water for this one.
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you guys know how it goes. I will first need to reassemble my old gaming group, so it might take a while before the campaign actually starts. In the meantime, if you are interested, I'll update you with the conversion of the series' free introduction module : The Rising Knight.

MX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> World of Twylos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: