Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Descent into Depths IV: No Hope
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 40, 41, 42  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Descent into Depths!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Moth
Heuristician


Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 276
Location: Grito

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vrill

Strength check passed- you break the guy's hand off with the sword in it. Ew. You smack the sword on the wall and the hand shatters and falls off. You get a sword.

You open the door and make your way into the circular room. The room you just came from has a wooden door. There is a plaque next to it which reads "THE DUEL."

The man slams the book shut and looks up at you. He smiles.

"Hey there! Glad to meet you, Mr. Vrill. My name is Erasmo Galjour, Master Alchemist. I've heard plenty about you. I'm sure you're still a bit stiff from the whole deep freeze thing, so let me know if you need another shot of this." He takes out a small wooden case and removes from it a syringe. He depresses the plunger just bit so a spurt of liquid comes out.

"You're a little out of touch, I'm sure, what with having been dead for a while. First things first, there is no proper "Alchemist's Guild" anymore- we split and joined other guilds. Some of us joined the Slavers, and formed the Guild of Flesh. Others joined the Navigators, and became the Shippers. I'm part of the faction that joined with the Opticians. We're called the Guild of Mirrors. You're on our side. You're part of a super secret project we've been working on for a loooooooong time.

'You see, we built a machine that talks to God- you just write down whatever question you want, feed it in, hook up a scrivener, and bam! Seek, and you will find! We also have a whole bunch of "Sleepers" like you- people all over Twylos who we've put into suspended animation in case we need them. Some of them are dead, like you, some of them are turned to stone, some are suspended in plasmuck, and some are really just asleep, living out their "lives" in some Dream realm. Anyway, we have a really important thing we've gotta do, and we wrote down "Who should we get for this job?" and presto- your names popped out of the machine before we even put the question in! How's that for convenience?

'So anyway, we got your names and they sent me down here to wake you guys up. This place is kind of a tourist trap. It's called the Crypt of Morgannon. I'll tell you all about your mission once everyone is up and about."

Dutch

You don't recognize any of the people here. You snap off a few noses and arms here and there.

The gnome has whatever Nitch has in his inventory in the character sheet thread. The gnome looks like he's making a last appeal for his client, a scruffy looking young man who's legs are chained together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Salmonid
Demiurge


Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wall then, lil' laddie. Ol' Dutch inna jam, Ah think. Ne'er seen a tary a' washy a' thisun. Dinnae ken th' bit o' it, tae tellin' it true. 'Ave ye a helpin' piece aboot in yer noggin?"

Dutch laughs into the silence.

"Dinnae think it." He cheerily knocks on Nitch's forehead. "Ach, 'tis all well."

Dutch heads for the door and exits the room.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moth
Heuristician


Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 276
Location: Grito

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Dutch. You're in the room with Vrill. You overhear all that stuff Erasmo tells him.

Erasmo looks at you and does a little wave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 1021

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Okay, hi Erasmo. Super secret project, check. Wait, I was dead?"

"Okay, maybe yeah I better have a little more of whatcha-got in that syringe."

Herbalism check, 19 + 2 = 21, yup. Can I check out whatever is inside it? I'm pretty okay with injectibles though, so unless it's like acid or dog pee or something, I'm good to go.

...

I sit down by the fountain and kind of play with the sword.

"Machine that talks to god, wow, you guys are pretty serious. In my day, it was more like 'let's make some owlbears and potions of healing'. I think this sounds like the winning team though. You know, the 'horse to bet on', the proverbial 'dog at the pony show'. If this machine thinks I'm the man for the job, well, heh heh, clearly great minds think alike."

"I'm sure the benefits are pretty good- health insurance and such. I could use some spells or something, if you know where like a good place to go for that would be. And where- and when- are we, precisely? Is this like near Gyre or something?"

Crypt of Morgannon, Moth? Here's World Knowledge: 14 + 2 = 16.

...

"Hey there new guy. Gregory Vrill here. If you see a hobbit, let me know if he has any more apples in that pack."
_________________
The GM is your friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Salmonid
Demiurge


Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nice tae meet ya lads. Be callin' ma Dutch." He reaches to shake hands with Vrill and Erasmo.

"God spekkin' on dow', givin' up a job? 'Tha' all sounds righ' fancy, missa 'Rasmo. Bein' a man o' th' cloth, Ah cannae refuse."

He hings about the fountain, waiting for the others to arrive.

To Vrill -

"A hobbet? There be a wee lil' man in tha' room there, if'n tha' be yer meanin'. 'E's a bit o' an ice sally a' th' momen', so 'e won't be doin' much but standin' if'n ya wish tae spraff." He indicates the room from which he exited.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moth
Heuristician


Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 276
Location: Grito

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erasmo answers some questions.

"Yeah, buddy, you've been out for a while. It's 223 T.E. We're in Gyre. The Guild of Mirrors has a Chapter House, but we're pretty hush hush about it. It's under the abandoned HQ of the Old Alchemists Guild.

"Wow, making owl bears, we did that? That's more Guild of Flesh stuff these days. They make these things called Bizzarians, you've gotta see 'em, they're a trip."

"This stuff in the syringe? It loosens up the preservatives we used to keep you guys kinda not dead for all this time. Don't worry, we tested it on some dogs, and most of those survived!" He offers you a needle, if you want some more.

"Health plan, eh? Hm." He fiddles around in his breast pocket, and comes up with a small bottle. It's made of white-colored glass and has a red cross on it. "Here's your health plan. Doesn't really include dental."

Thou gainest a potion of healing!

Knowledge Check: Apparently the Crypt of Morgannon is the crypt of some ancient mage or martyr or something. His tomb is run as a meseum of odd, morbid stuff. One of the most famous exhibits is the Cold House, a collection of Tableau Vivants using frozen dead bodies. It was put together by an artist sponsored by the Church of Nergal. You got to be art for a while. There are four doors in this room labled THE DUEL, THE WEDDING, THE GARDEN PARTY, and THE TRIAL. There is a corridor leading due east out of the room.

The door labeled THE TRIAL open and out comes a scruffy looking man.

Erasmo looks kind of taken aback after Dutch speaks.

"Hm, okay."

He leads you guys into THE TRIAL room and walks over to the gnome. He looks it over.

"Sometimes these take a while." He picks up the gnome, still stiffly frozen in mid gesticulation, and hands it to Dutch.

"Go on, it's not that heavy."

It's really not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Salmonid
Demiurge


Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All righ', missa 'Rasmo. Ah'll take 'im."

Dutch obtains Nitch.

Is scruffy the reanimated defendant? What's he doing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 1021

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I'll take the syringe and the potion. "Heh heh. Thanks, you're a life saver."

I'm just gonna take a peek in the other three rooms. After looking to see where Dutch came from, I look in to The Wedding and The Garden Party.

"So, Dutch. Were you like, on trial in there? What's the deal with your scene? I really don't know anything about that duel, I was dead, and there you go."

"Hey Erasmo... maybe you can help me connect the dots. I don't think I died here. How'd you guys get ahold of us? And, uh, those other people in there- they're not all sleepers or anything, right? Otherwise you might have to go get a super silver hand for whatshischops." I shrug and look at the sword.

There's not like any plaques or placards describing the art in here, is there?
_________________
The GM is your friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Salmonid
Demiurge


Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nae, laddie. Ah was put up a' th' judgeman." He mimics the motion of a gavel with Nitch's body.

"Bein' daed, bein' art. I couldnae tell 'em sep'rate."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moth
Heuristician


Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 276
Location: Grito

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erasmo addresses Vrill's concerns:

"Oh you definitely died. Had your head bashed in by a zombie. The Alchemists heard you'd died and sent out a reclamation team. Imagine their surprise when they probed your brain and found only a few piddling first circle spells. I guess they decided it wouldn't be worth it to get the Duurans to raise some first level nobody, so they put you on ice and made you a Sleeper until they could find a way to get your old powers back. After the Guild splintered there was a lot of paperwork that got messed up, and I guess you were just forgotten. I don't know what the Old Guild had in mind for the Sleepers. We've just been using them to find stuff and kill dudes."

'You broke a guy's hand? Well, that sucks, but I'm pretty sure he's out for the count. I don't think we had anyone else stashed here. Hm."

The Wedding and the Garden party are pretty much what you'd expect. The wedding has a Thainist priest (religious knowledge grade I will notice that his vestments indicate that he's part of the church of Spring) presiding over a young bride and groom. She is beautiful, and he is handsome. Make a Perception check if you want a closer look.

The Garden Party is a bunch of people standing around with wine glasses frozen to their hands and a big table of food. There are exquisitely frozen flowers all around, encased in a very fine shell of brittle ice. The food looks like it's not that old, but starting to go bad. There's a bit of green on the cheese platter. You guess they probably change the food every now and then.

You don't see any guide plaques or anything, but you ask Erasmo and he gives you a brochure. Some of the exhibits include: Cold House (YOU ARE HERE), The Gallery, The Statue Garden, The Chapel of Lamentations, and The Crypt of Morgannon itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 1021

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Eh, alright. While we wait for Bilbo here to thaw, I'm gonna go look around. Morgannon sounds like a pretty cool name, I'm sure he had some great spells and stuff. Never know what you might find, rolling 1s on a d6 and all."

I head east. I'll check out the other locations, waiting for Nitch to get a move on (I'll have a talk with Swill when I see him in a few days and FORCE him to get on the site if he hasn't by then).

Yeah, I'll take that Perception check: 7 + 2 = 9. Can't believe I forgot to take a level in what's really the only useful proficiency. Goddamnit, I died, and I lost all my perception. Anyway, I'm kind of into this place, so I'll take a close look around.

Any other tourists in here?

"Hey Dutch, let's take a walk. Sounds like we're gonna be business partners, heh heh. Maybe there's some treasure and stuff, I already found a sword."
_________________
The GM is your friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Salmonid
Demiurge


Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try Perception, rolled 10. Dutch doesn't have the proficiency, either. What are the odds!

"Whar dae ya be wishin' to gae, missa Vrill? Th' Crupt o' Morganoon?"

He uses Nitch as a pointer to indicate the crypt's cheerful entry on the brochure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moth
Heuristician


Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 276
Location: Grito

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, you guys have a look around the Crypt.

Down the eastern hallway from Cold House, you guys fine a lobby with a directory and a food court- the only fare is stew, which is being dispensed by a burly looking orc with a cigarette dangling from his lips.

You check out the Gallery. It's a lavish hall filled with paintings. The centerpiece is the famed painting of the Feast of Typhon by Geryon Krassus. All the art here depicts morbid or demonic themes.

The statue garden is the only open air part of the museum. It is a dreary place, with a lot of well trimmed hedges and weeping willows and charming fungus, but no flowers. There are statues here depicting various monsters, each with an inscription. A statue of a weeping woman with snakes for hair has an inscription reading "IF ONLY MY HEART WERE MADE OF STONE."

The Crypt of Morgannon is actually sort of lame. It's a big room with no decorations and a stone sarcophagus in the center. There's a plaque which details the life and times of Morgannon. Absolute silence is strictly enforced in this room. Just coughing gets you a nasty glare from the ogre security guard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 1021

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hey Dutch, this place is pretty great, huh. I would've guessed with all the cash they threw around on art, they might have a better cafe though. God would I kill for a good cup of coffee, you know what I mean?"

...

Hey Moth, so Swill has been in Norway all week. I'm going to be there until Sunday night. Apparently there's no internet in Norway or something, which is why Nitch hasn't done jack shit.

Dutch, you take the lead on this one for the next couple of days. Basically, I'm game for whatever Erasmo has in mind. It's been great walking around and stuff, but I'd like to get out of here, grab a decent meal, and go kill some other wizard for his spells and stuff. Let's just get this goin'.
_________________
The GM is your friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Salmonid
Demiurge


Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch is eating a bowl of stew, using Nitch as a utensil.

"Wha?" he says, looking up. "Ach. Yea, Ah ken. Les' getta'."

FIrst, however, Dutch decides to see what that Chapel of Lamentations is all about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Descent into Depths! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 2 of 42

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Type of Dice No. of Dice

d3

d4

d6

d8

d10

d12

d20

d00

1

2

3

4

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group