Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

The Punchline: I Have A Degree In Computer Science

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Table-talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: The Punchline: I Have A Degree In Computer Science Reply with quote

Hi all, Greg Vrill here again.

I'm back at the soi disant 'Mudrakers' cafe, again without DSL access from chez Vrill.

Five phone calls, one in-house service call, and a full 16 hours of my time, and there's still no service a week later. Even though there used to be, which itself is a long and, I'm sorry to say, sordid story.

Not to mention that my computer got some horrible virus and had to be fully wiped, 'apex to asshole' as they say in the dirty south, meaning that all my preferences were reset so that the little mouse keypad thing that I hate just gets in the way when I type, leading to random cursor insertion when I'm typing a long post like this one, and I start typing rather than at the end of the paragraph as normal, but suddenly in the middle of the paragraph where I was just typing.

It's raining, and I'm surrounded by elderly hippies.

So this EL PAPEL fight might still be dragged out for a little while now while we wait for routine service, like a normal person should have, recommence a chez Vrill.[/b]
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vrill here again.

I know all you PCs deeply care about your benevolent Game Master's computer malaise, so I'm here to give you an update.

The UCSF tech support guy, easily worth twelve of Svenson's AT&T goons, installed a new driver, mercifully allowing me to turn the touchpad OFF.

Note: I first typed there OOF instead of OFF. How a propos, from OOF to OFF, just like that, that's exactly right.

Anyway, let's push forward on this mexican origami nonsense.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: SUPER MARIO Reply with quote

Hi everyone, Vrill here again. Just to conclude this three act drama of le DSL.

So, ten tech support calls later, and three actual house calls, all ineffective... now ol' Vrill has internet back in chez Vrill.

It turns out there's a website you go to, to register your new service. That's on the flyer they give you when you buy the modem. But this website? It does nothing. Tech support guy #10, 'Mario', told me of a secret bonus website you go to, to REALLY register your service. So I did that and now it works.

I know in the scheme of things, home DSL ain't such a big deal. But let's just think about all this. 17 hours of my time, which means 17 cumulative hours of various AT&T tech support people, 16 hours of which were completely useless. That doesn't include, say, travel time it took three of these chaps to make it to my apartment and fuck around.

Now think about all the money AT&T has spent to train these people. Apparently 90% of it wasted. These people are probably full time employees too, meaning that they're wasting lots of other peoples' time failing to help them as well.

I quote from Yeats:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder why civilization is a reality.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks.

I spent about that much time trying to convince HP I didn't replace my motherboard. They didn't put a sticker on the motherboard, so when I sent it in for repair. They just kinda kept it for a month and I had to call, and call. They'd probably still have it, if I hadn't gotten the CEO's email address. Don't use a standard form for you email system or I will find you. Firstname.Lastname@HP.com isn't hard to figure out... I got the case manager fired who originally had my file.

Once I mailed the CEO everyone who was capable came to my aid.

When I did DSL support, which I was very good at, I ran into this crap all the time. A stuck lim port, or a wireless switch in the off position on the computer, all kinds of stuff. I bet they could actually see your modem trying to connect, and getting 2 way traffic for a sec, and then blamed some setting at your end. That's so lame. People need to remember the basics...
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INSTEAD OF TURNIN ON THE DESL THEY TURNED OFF THE DSL AND MY POHONE TOO

SUPER
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHONE ON DSL STILL OFF THEYRE SENDING DUDE#4 TO THE HOUSE ASGINAT TOMORROW TO 'CHECEK THE LINES' AGAIN

AGAIN

AFAIN

MANY CHALLENGERS APPEAR, ALL FAIL

WHO WILL WIN THE ADVENTURE? AND TURN ON MY GODDAMN MODEM?
Cyndre
Demiurge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUPER DSL BONUS PAGE:

CODE IS UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT A B SELECT START

TRY IT PLZ U WIN STUFFZ INTERNETZ K?
Chickens, page 425 of Wayfarers, is missing a key rule. If you roll a natural 6, you roll again and keep a cumulative total until you do not roll a 6. Rolled a 13 to hit, 19 damage, etc. Helps the trash talk.
Master Thomas Anopheles
Strategoi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's finally what it got it working.

Actually a 12th call to tech support resolved the problem. And I quote:

Quote:
The AT&T server was lollygagging.

This is after I had to downgrade my service (in the Bay Area of all places) to be able to handle the lower bandwidth of the lollygagging server.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my french here, but...

Internet service in the U.S. is a bullshit monopoly that is weakening the nation. It's a fucking matter of economic potential, and we have legislation that guarantees monopolization of markets.

We lag the developed world in bandwidth and the economic consequences of this are just going to get worse. Case in point: My brother-in-law has an iphone here. The internet speed is shit. Worse than dial-up. It made me decide not to get one. In China, he says browsing on the phone is almost instantaneous and ridiculously cheap. In China providers compete and there are lots of them. Prices are very low. In many cases, China practices capitalism where we don't.

Fuck Comcast. Fuck AT&T. They give us shit for what they charge.
Master Thomas Anopheles
Strategoi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously.

It's a cliche, but the internet is the future. The same way that fucking BOOKS were the future back in like 0 BC. Or after Luther, whatever.

I was just at NYU, where they put me up in the guest apartments. NO internet connection. Now I'm at a Holiday Inn in Pittsburgh, in sight of CMU and U Pitt, and the internet connection is so slow as to be useless. It's 2009.

My house is in the Bay Area of all places, and I had to downgrade my connection to be able to use their server to connect? Email and online services are how I do everything these days, from fucking buying plane tickets and books to arranging meetings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Table-talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: