Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Descent Into Depths 3, or O1: Oops I Did It Again, Again
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Descent into Depths!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 1021

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Descent Into Depths 3, or O1: Oops I Did It Again, Again Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

It is the year 216 of the Third Era of Twylos.

You are Apprentices of the Slavers and Alchemists Guilds of the city of Gossar, the Jewel of Saethos.

You have generally lived a sedate life with few Guild duties, unless you wanted them.

Until several days ago, when the Guild decided that you did in fact want them.

...

The Alchemists Guild has loaded up two mobile sledges with important Guild stuff. The first contains some equipment. The second contains six of the brightest Novices, along with Journeymen Dave Konstanz and Yuri Rodriguez. Both sledges are going to Vussar. You have been invited to help make sure all this stuff gets there.

You aren't on the sledges, or as the Guild calls them, MOSLEs. You're on a standard caravan wagon pulled by an enormous Sathar pack lizard, bringing up the rear.

...

That's right. You are caravan guards, along a dusty trail off the main road northeast on the scrubs near the desert.

A sandstorm approaches.

What do you do?

(This is DiD3, rebooted on Twylos Third Era.

Welcome to O1: Oops I did it again, again.)
_________________
The GM is your friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cyndre
Demiurge


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 189
Location: La Badlandsa - So Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scan the immediate vicinity, looking for:

1) enemies / movement
2) potential hiding spots
3) water to soak cloaks in to protect our mouths
_________________
---
Chickens, page 425 of Wayfarers, is missing a key rule. If you roll a natural 6, you roll again and keep a cumulative total until you do not roll a 6. Rolled a 13 to hit, 19 damage, etc. Helps the trash talk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
greyfaced
Heuristician


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Pleroma, Oregon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanner Black

I close "Secret Societies for Beginners"

I spit in my pipe, tamp down the mildsage, and put the cap on.

I check my gear to make sure it's all tied down well, then check with the Journeymen and see if they want me to do anything. Sword check, shield check....I grab my small pack in case i get separated so I have some lemons and some water and a good book in case I get separated...

Is the wagon or sledge a better place to ride out a sandstorm?
I got a 2 on an untrained int check. If the Wagon has sides then we could put a tarp over it and put the novices in that... Are the Journeymen on horses? That could be bad...

I look around real well with a perception of 2.

I pull my bandanna over my face after checking in with the bosses, and the novices.

Is a sandstorm unexpected, for time of year or history of the region. World Knowledge is a 4.

Again, pretty much I check in with the Journeymen and follow their lead. I home Dan (Danelegus) my head bouncer hasn't hurt anyone at the bar....I need to find someone I can leave in charge when I get drafted into crap duty; I dislike owing slavers favors....I hear it can get tricky.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gustav Gelling
Demiurge


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ugh, sandstorms... there's got to be a way around this."

Gustav takes out his spellbook and begins turning the pages, looking for something that will help his situation.

What've I got, DM?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 1021

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking guys.

Okay, so the two MOSLEs? Think about the Jawa droid carrier from the first Star Wars, only a lot smaller- the size and shape of a panel van. But it's a small, rusty brown tank like thing that moves across the desert on treads. These things are old and weird.

Your wagon is larger, about the size of a U-haul truck, pulled by a pack lizard and its Sathar handler, Mr. Slath. With the storm, the lizard has stopped moving, and Mr. Slath is yelling things at it to try to make it move some more.

The storm is coming fast.

...

Cyndre, in your wagon, which is wooden on all sides, and reinforced with metal in places, you've got all of you, your bedding, and enough food and water to last you for about two weeks, so there's a lot of water if you want it Cyndre.

The only 'hiding spots' obvious are in/under/around the three vehicles in your caravan. No enemies, but go ahead and roll Perception if you want.

...

Tanner, darn, the book was just getting good. It was telling you about the Dwarves of Stalos the Destroyer. They work in the mines under all of Twylos, thinning the crust, so that someday all of Twylos will collapse.

The wagon has not only sides, but a weather-proof roof. You remember a briefing they gave you, that some bad weather, including small to mild sandstorms, were to be expected. Given their stockiness, you'd guess that the MOSLEs are probably safer, but your wagon seems pretty sturdy too.

The Journeymen tend to ride in the MOSLEs, ignoring you. No horses, just that one enormous pack lizard. Yuri rides with the Novices, an awkward bunch of nerdy kids. The least autistic of the lot, Novice Gellan, is currently hanging out with you guys in the Apprentice Wagon, because he seems to think you guys are pretty cool and wants to hear about all your 'adventures' as Apprentices. The nerdiest Novice hangs out with J'man Dave in the lead MOSLE where the equipment is.

Perception 2, eh, there's a sandstorm comin'. No phones around, you have no idea how Dan is doing, it's been a little over two weeks since you left Gossar.

You make sure your stuff is secured, then head out. It's starting to get windy and dusty, and it looks like a brown haze off to the west. The MOSLEs have stopped, and you see the two J'men outside the Novice MOSLE in the middle, in conference. Dave hands something to Yuri, and heads into the lead MOSLE, closing the door. It starts up and begins to slowly move. Yuri tells you to take some shelter quickly, everything should be fine. He goes into the Novice sledge, through the door you can see the other four Novices all squinting out at you.

...

Gustav, hmm. You've got a standard-issue Alchemists Guild spellbook, complete with three 1st Circle spells, 30 extra blank pages, and a giant Guild logo on the front. From the Gossar Guild, it's a gold glo-in-the-dark symbol on green cloth, with your name printed on it on the inside cover.

The spells your Guildmaster entrusted you with are: Fix, Illuminate, and the ever popular Water to Wine.

You worked a lot in the Guild 'distillery', which meant cleaning the latrines and re-selling it as 'AG Brand Pilsner Light: The Hot Choice'. There some disagreement among Guild marketing agents, as to whether this should be the 'Hot Choice' or the 'Cool Choice'. The other Guild in Gossar sells theirs as the 'Cool Choice'.
_________________
The GM is your friend.


Last edited by Gregory Vrill on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
greyfaced
Heuristician


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Pleroma, Oregon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say this as I get in the Novice MOSLE.

"If you don't mind sir, I was hired to watch the kids here, and if I'm hiding in my wagon I can't do a good job of that. Mind if I join you all inside here, there's plenty of room...."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harold Riley
Demiurge


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 179

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll climb in the novice MOSLE as well. But I don't say anything. I'll fill my Red Pop bottle with some water.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gustav Gelling
Demiurge


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hop on the Novice MOSLE too. I act all aloof like I don't know the other nerds.

I keep leafing through my spellbook. Hmm, fix things, summon light, hey, any liquid substance into any other? Oh, exploitable...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 1021

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noted. You guys all climb into the sledge. Journeyman Yuri looks a bit skeptical in the ability of his Apprentices to protect the Novices from a sandstorm.

The sledge is now getting a bit crowded. The Novices have much better living quarters than you guys do in your wagon.

The Journeyman closes and bolts the door, and walks over to the fore to see if he can get this thing started again.

The winds begin to howl outside.

...

We'll pause here for about 24 hrs while I travel back to the States. In the meantime we can see what the other PCs plan on doing, and maybe you guys can introduce yourselves a bit more fully.
_________________
The GM is your friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harold Riley
Demiurge


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 179

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I read that wrong. The MOSLEs are smaller than our wagon, and our wagon had our food. Oops.

I ask Yuri what M-O-S-L-E stands for. I then begin to tell Novice Gellan a story about a small farm boy that lived with his aunt and uncle on a desert planet called Tatooine, and how he bought a couple of droids from some Jawas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cyndre
Demiurge


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 189
Location: La Badlandsa - So Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stay in the wagon. I start putting together a glow stick from my alchemical supplies.

Using my psionics I search for other sentient beings.

"Don't think too loud guys; I am detecting whether or not we are alone."
_________________
---
Chickens, page 425 of Wayfarers, is missing a key rule. If you roll a natural 6, you roll again and keep a cumulative total until you do not roll a 6. Rolled a 13 to hit, 19 damage, etc. Helps the trash talk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gustav Gelling
Demiurge


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 118

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gustav listens raptly to Riley's harrowing tale.

Cool story, bro.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
greyfaced
Heuristician


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 509
Location: Pleroma, Oregon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanner Black

Since everyone is piling in this MOSLE I'm gonna hop out and enjoy the storm. Never been in a sandstorm before.... I'll try to take cover behind the vehicles from the brunt of the storm.

another perception check is a 3. I'll grab my stuff.

Tanner is, well Tanner. He smiles at others optimism, but doesn't share it. He isn't a big talker, and isn't that into Philosophy of any kind, magical or religious. He wears lots of dark clothes, mostly black. He's usually more than content to sit back and smoke on his pipe and watch things move on. He spent a lot of time in the military hurrying up to wait. It was there that he learned to read. Lots of free time, and little interest in the inflated stories that soldiers tell. He runs a bar, and is interested in drug trade, and experiences, but is very leery of it as a lifestyle. Experimenting and checking out falsehoods of perspective he's into. The Boot Black Bar is mostly an apothecary during the day with some food and drink, and some minor herbs and whatnot from the Alchemists Guild, at night it's a bar setting, but for working people who are wrapping up their day before going home. It's not a bar for PC's per se as much as it's how country taverns tend to be. It's in the city but not everyone is looking to run into PC's in their bar, or the NPC's that are associated with them. Frankly Tanner isn't so into the whole PC thing, but he is bored, and doesn't like people pissing around. He's been in lots of fights, but they were mostly ones he knew he would win, or backing up someone who would. He knows a fair number of people in town mostly your cook and garbageman types, but those people know some stuff about what's going down. He uses his contacts on the street to find people the Slavers Guild is looking for, and his contacts in the Alchemists Guild to find supplies for the bar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harold Riley
Demiurge


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 179

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, these droids were not actually legally acquired by the Jawa. In fact, they had just arrived on Tatooine after escaping from spaceship that had been seized by Darth Vader, the Dark Sith Lord of the Galactic Empire. In fact Gellan, these two droids, CP3O and R2D2, were no ordinary droids...

Harold has lived in Gossar his whole life. No that's not an accent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 1021

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome.

So, Tanner jumps in the MOSLE. (MOSLE isn't an acronym, it's a contraction that for whatever reason is in all capitals. Appropriate Guild knowledge checks of 6 anyone? In any case, MOSLE stands for MObile SLEdge.)

Cue the Benny Hill theme music. So Tanner jumps in the MOSLE. Then Harold gets in the MOSLE. Then Gustav gets in the MOSLE. Then Harold asks Yuri a question and splits back to the Apprentice Wagon. Since Gustav wants to hear the story, he leaves the MOSLE also. Then Tanner leaves and decides to just, you know, hang out in the sandstorm.

Yuri spits at you all, says something you can't hear in Fleshtongue, and bolts the door behind you all.

...

Meanwhile, Cyndre makes a glowstick (cough cough Magic Candle cough cough) and leads the Apprentices in the world's saddest rave. Using your psionics, you detect a bunch of humanoid lifeforms in the immediate vicinity, with some armaments and magical capacity. Scary stuff! One of them seems to be psionic and is holding a glowstick.

...

Tanner, as the storm embraces you, you can no longer see nor hear jack shit. Which is fine, because what happens transcends all that. The Novice MOSLE you all decided to- in retrospect- wisely flee? It explodes.

You guys in the wagon feel the shockwave too.

But that's not what sucks. What sucks, literally, is the massive sinkhole that formed as a direct consequence of this explosion. Going down...

...

Everyone, make two physical resistance checks.
_________________
The GM is your friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Descent into Depths! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 1 of 52

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Type of Dice No. of Dice

d3

d4

d6

d8

d10

d12

d20

d00

1

2

3

4

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group