Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Welcome... 2) Logistics of Playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Descent into Depths!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Welcome... 2) Logistics of Playing Reply with quote

So practically speaking, how does this work?

Well, the best way to learn, is just to join and see for yourself. Or check out the previous games.
http://descentintodepths.blogspot.com/

(This, by the way, is where Wayfarers as an idea and then actual thing was born.)

But, basically, it's sorta like a text adventure. Yeah, like Zork. Except with other players and a DM (me). With Wayfarers-based mechanics.

I check posts usually a few times a day. I post what's going on, infrequently recapping if necessary. You players respond, just like you would in a table top game. We've got an online dice roller somewhere here- roll your own, as they say. We play fast and loose with rules, combat, and reality. This is tongue-in-cheek, but it's still Twylos, so it's not all slapstick and unicorn jokes.

This is important now, so listen up. The players who post most, have control of the game. It's sort of a positive feedback process- players who log in more and do more, move the game along further, and players who don't check in so much then get left behind and essentially just come along for the ride.

It sort of has to be like that, just to be able to move the story along.

That said, it's cool if you want to post every day, or just once a week, or once total. We accommodate all tastes here. Post how much you like, I'll try to make it all work, the above paragraph is just an objective description of what actually occurred in previous games, that's all.

Sometimes I pause, say during a combat, to make sure everyone has a chance to do something. We tend to 'ret-con' a lot, meaning you can make up a lost round or so, and we adjust reality to correspond to your post-hoc actions. It all works out.

Finally, just like in table-top, arguments and disputes happen. C'est la vie, et ca va. If it gets bad, we'll take it over to table-talk and hash it out. But people have quit before, it happens.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg, if you could let people know what round you have posted through that would help us all know where you are, and how far behind some might be.

It might keep combat cleaner. Like right now, I have posted combat through round 5, and I think you have resolved combat to that point, but people might not know where you are without searching and doing some basic arithmetic. People aren't always good at arithmetic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Descent into Depths! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: