Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Some questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Some questions. Reply with quote

Wolfie posted this elsewhere, but I'll answer here per his wishes.

Quote:
Although I note that making a character in Wayfarers is similar if not so obsessed with small stuff, power, and 'cool stuff'. Whatever the reason, I am making characters for Wayfarers tonite and finding it fun, which I never experienced with 3e (not to mentiond my general dissatisfaction with same). I have a pretty competent beginning wizard, first off. I don't know if this is the right place to ask a question, but here goes anyway. Is a D20 rolled for unskilled weapon use, before any points are spent on them? So could my wizard pick up a sword, staff, dagger or whatever and roll a D20 to hit? It seems the first tier of weapon skill is 'weapon mastery'. Am I missing something and looking like an idiot?

No, you've got it. There's no non-proficient penalty with a weapon per se. Not getting a bonus to-hit is non-proficient. Smile Your wizard can pick up anything and go wild. And yes, Weapon Mastery I would be the first place to go. It's the basis for getting good at any weapon.

Quote:
I don't quite understand the spell mechanism, but I think it's something like the matrices in Earthdawn, that is you always KNOW the spells but must prepare the requisite number of castings in what ever circles you can cast and then can cast any spells you KNOW, in any combinations, using the various Circles. Correct? And the four hours are always required for priparation of any number of castings, whether just one or all of them? (If you had a dozen 'castings' of varying power it would be four hours, or one Circle 1 'casting' the same.)

If I get what you are saying, then yes, you are right. You can cast any spells you know in any combination, staying within your 'spells per Circle' limits. I've got two 1st Circle and one 2nd Circle: Thus, I can cast any two 1st Circle spells I know and any one 2nd Circle spell I know.

The 4 hours is enough to fully replenish any number of spells. I didn't think getting into a 'time per Circle' would be worth the headaches it might cause. (But it could be optional WSJ material). For a spell or two, it'd be reasonable a shorter time might do. For Hedge and Hermetic, there are some related oddities that I'd really rather leave up to the GM. We've discussed it some in this thread.

BTW, feel free to send me any characters you'd like to be posted in the Hall of NPCs.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Examples are always good and helpful in the main game book text. We should add more when we revamp. Spell acquisition, knowledge, and casting is still somewhat mysterious as far as I'm concerned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: