Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

11/26/08: Optional Arcana in the works.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Ye Olde Gaming Crier
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brak
Strategoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like critical hits, but that's because i think they're HI-LARIOUS!

you know, critial hits can be offset by armor worn... if the crit chart call for a chopped off hand, that can be offset by wearing a gauntlet.

that's how it works in Zefrs... i'm just saying: food for thought.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory Vrill wrote:
I think that critical hits are generally a bad idea. Making Wayfarers more deadly means exactly one thing: making it more deadly for the PCs. 3rd ed D&D has a nice section where they say, whatever makes the game more random and deadly, hurts the PCs in the long run. Whatever reduces randomness, makes it easier for them to survive.

I mostly agree with Greg about critical hits. However, on a related note, I think the notion that "random killing is bad" has been taken too far in the RPG world.

When a creature rolls to hit and then damage a PC, it is actually trying to kill the PC and the outcome is randomly determined. Of course, a good GM will ensure the odds are not heavily weighted against the PCs, but there should be a real (and partially random) chance that PCs can die. Personally, I do not understand the point of playing a game where the PCs will always survive and prevail. You might as well just sit on the couch and talk about how awesome the PCs are. -In fact, those games do exist, don't they? Smile

At any rate, I didn't design Wayfarers with that style of play in mind. Still, if someone wants to release "Wayfarers: Imagine a Hero!", that'd be fine. Alternately, if someone wanted to create the supplement "Wayfarers: You're SOL!" that'd be cool too. As a matter of taste, I'd be more interested in the latter.

Anyway, this is the Wayfarers Guild Journal thread...

Leo Lingas is at work on the cover (the sketches look great) and WGJ issue #1 is about 95% complete. It looks like we'll be able to release it in about 2 weeks.

Brak, maybe we'll tap you for the critical hits variant in WGJ#2? Wink
Ars Mysteriorum
Demiurge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmySwill wrote:
Gregory Vrill wrote:
I think that critical hits are generally a bad idea. Making Wayfarers more deadly means exactly one thing: making it more deadly for the PCs. 3rd ed D&D has a nice section where they say, whatever makes the game more random and deadly, hurts the PCs in the long run. Whatever reduces randomness, makes it easier for them to survive.

I mostly agree with Greg about critical hits. However, on a related note, I think the notion that "random killing is bad" has been taken too far in the RPG world.

When a creature rolls to hit and then damage a PC, it is actually trying to kill the PC and the outcome is randomly determined. Of course, a good GM will ensure the odds are not heavily weighted against the PCs, but there should be a real (and partially random) chance that PCs can die. Personally, I do not understand the point of playing a game where the PCs will always survive and prevail. You might as well just sit on the couch and talk about how awesome the PCs are. -In fact, those games do exist, don't they? Smile

At any rate, I didn't design Wayfarers with that style of play in mind. Still, if someone wants to release "Wayfarers: Imagine a Hero!", that'd be fine. Alternately, if someone wanted to create the supplement "Wayfarers: You're SOL!" that'd be cool too. As a matter of taste, I'd be more interested in the latter.

Anyway, this is the Wayfarers Guild Journal thread...

Leo Lingas is at work on the cover (the sketches look great) and WGJ issue #1 is about 95% complete. It looks like we'll be able to release it in about 2 weeks.

Brak, maybe we'll tap you for the critical hits variant in WGJ#2? Wink

Personally, I love critical hits in every way possible. Then again, I fudge die rolls as a GM continually anyways. For those that subscribe to the GNS theory (which I really don't) I suppose I consider myself as far from a gamist as possible, and care little for balance so long as the concept is interesting and is enjoyed by all involved.

Also, on the "random killing is bad," my formal response: I completely agree. I dislike random killing in an RPG... but I love killing with justification.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, true enough. Crit hits are fun for players and add a sense of danger to combats. In my experience, when they die in fair fights, due to bad die rolls, everyone seems cool with it. Death is something that needs to happen to the occasional PC, just to remind the players that their DM isn't screwin around.
brak
Strategoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alternately, if someone wanted to create the supplement "Wayfarers: You're SOL!" that'd be cool too.

*sniff, sniff* what's that i smell? could it be true? the most awesomest splat-book ever created!? but i thought it was only a legend!

Quote:
Brak, maybe we'll tap you for the critical hits variant in WGJ#2? ;)

tap away. as of today i'm offically re-un-employed, again. i'd love to take my frustrations out on somebody's imaginary alter-ego.

on a serious note though... if crits are built into the game and the dice rolls are done in front of the players... i don't see what the issue is. crits don't have to mean "deadly."
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Leo's cover artwork for Wayfarers Guild Journal #1 has just come in. It looks great. The journal will be released within the week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Ye Olde Gaming Crier All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: