Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

11/26/08: Optional Arcana in the works.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Ye Olde Gaming Crier
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: 11/26/08: Optional Arcana in the works. Reply with quote

Last night I began roughing out a draft of what will become the first Optional Arcana. Even in the short time that Wayfarers has been available, several players have posted or approached me with interesting tweaks, home-brews, or supplements for the game. I have been keeping a list of these ideas, and thought it would be nice to compile them in a digest form, to be made freely available for the community.

OA will not serve as a supplement to the game, but will be a format for the sharing and exchange of community ideas. I believe I have nearly enough material for the first volume already. However, if you have some ideas kicking around, be it for a new rule, spell, race, item, monster, skill or whatever, please let me know and we'll get it in there or slate it for OA2. For those of you who have provided ideas or material I'd like to put in there, I'll be contacting you.

OA will be free to download as a PDF, and I'll likely make a print (POD) form available at cost. As it is going to be a compilation of the works of many, I'd just rather no profit be associated with it. However, for that reason, it won't be overflowing with art. That said, if you or someone you know has some appropriate art you'd like to showcase, PM me and we'll see about getting it in there. -The artist can retain the rights to the work outside of that OA print.

I can't estimate a release date just yet, but will update you as things come together.

Cheers,

-Jimmy
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems we are aiming at a January release. So, if you have any ideas you'd like to submit, do so before X-mas.

Also, instead of Optional Arcana, the new working title is: Wayfarers Guild Journal.

-Jimmy
brak
Strategoi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a section on monster creation guidelines?
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brak wrote:
how about a section on monster creation guidelines?

Sounds good to me. Is this a suggestion or offer?
brak
Strategoi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, sorry about that.

it was a suggestion. i'm too new to the game to understand the mechanics yet.

the reason i asked though is that i just picked up The Random Esoteric Creature Generator and rolled up some nifty things. I know how to convert them to BFRPG, but how would i go about doing that for Wayfarers?
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. I'm not sure. I've heard praise for TRECG, but haven't seen it myself.

As we are filling up for issue #1, this might be slated for #2. If you have any notions on in it the future, let me know.

That said, I'm not sure how I would approach monster creation guidelines. Rules are meant to be broken, particularly when it's fun. 'Monster creation advice', -I'd be good with that. Yeah, that would be a great topic for the journal.
wolfie
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing what has been ideas have been brought up and being new here, I have no idea which (if any) of the thoughts I have had on my first read through might be original or useful, but a list of general stuff that might be worth posting and/or including:

More poison lore stuff. One thing I have to disagree with in the rules is the part about blade poison efficacy. But then, I am old Stormbringer GM. We used to have a blast with the poison rules in that game.

Rules for traps. By the way, which proficiencies do you use to disarm them in your games? I would probably use engineering, lockpicking, and/or legerdemain. Have I missed such rules already in the book?

Helmet rules.

A bit more on encumbrance, and a larger equipment list.

Some advice and perhaps a codified treasure award system.

I know how to do all this myself, of course, but the more support and 'completeness' the better, I'm sure you will agree.
Ars Mysteriorum
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfie wrote:
Not knowing what has been ideas have been brought up and being new here, I have no idea which (if any) of the thoughts I have had on my first read through might be original or useful, but a list of general stuff that might be worth posting and/or including:

More poison lore stuff. One thing I have to disagree with in the rules is the part about blade poison efficacy. But then, I am old Stormbringer GM. We used to have a blast with the poison rules in that game.

Rules for traps. By the way, which proficiencies do you use to disarm them in your games? I would probably use engineering, lockpicking, and/or legerdemain. Have I missed such rules already in the book?

Helmet rules.

I know how to do all this myself, of course, but the more support and 'completeness' the better, I'm sure you will agree.

Hmm... a part of me disagrees with the requirement for mechanics for these things. The core mechanic is cohesive, and the rest is roleplaying.

I like the old traps that had no mechanics, where it was like a riddle the players had to solve.

Maybe that's just me?
wolfie
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say any of it was required. A little more meat in some of those areas might be useful to some, IMO. Me, for instance.

What do you mean by 'traps as puzzles'?

It's not just you. My favorite all-time game is Stormbringer 1. It was not a game known for extensive rules for everything. Some little fleshing out did improve it a bit, though.

Also, the suggestions I have in mind all share a certain brevity, I promise. Smile

Many are just ideas pulled from this or that fantasy novel.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfie wrote:
...a list of general stuff that might be worth posting and/or including:

Helmet rules.

Each and all of these are great ideas for the Journal. I agree with you and Ars M both to a degree. -I definitely think these are ideas worth developing, but some start to get into territory that will be addressed differently by individual groups. That's not to say everything in Wayfarers is essential, but yeah, it was written with a 'if it's not there, do it yourself' attitude.

But that's what the WGJ is all about: sharing how we do these things. For example: For trap removal, I'd use engineering or even open-locks, depending on the type of trap. If someone had a trade skill that related, that might work. Even so, traps can vary so much (collapsing ceiling, pit-trap, trip wire, poison needle, explosive, dropping bucket of acid), 'disarming traps' is a bit too general for me. We've never had a load of classic traps in our games, so the skill isn't usually an issue. Still, if you prefer the idea of a proficiency, that's easy enough to create and it sure could be included.

Here's what's in the WSJ #1 so far:

Water combat rules
Astrology & character creation
Hit-by armor absorption
Bypass armor absorption
Casting time and armor impedance
Group ritual casting
Twylos: The Fourth Era (an introduction)
Twylos: The Fourth Era (Viral Magic)
Twylos: The Fourth Era (new creatures)
Guild Creations (a few new creatures and items)
Custom character sheet

If you'd be interested in codifying any of those ideas you mentioned wolfie, let me know. I'll put them in WSJ #1 if you get them to me in the next two weeks. We reserve the right to edit, but we'll include most any idea. That's what it's all about.

Shoot me a PM if you plan to so i can plan for it. Also, if anyone wants a sneak peak at the WSJ, let me know. It might give you a better idea about it.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas. Alchemy in general can use some refinement; I'll take care of that at some point in Twylos. That includes poison use/lore, which could be a skill or discipline.

Yeah, helmets are weird to codify in the standard D&D model. Hmm. Will need to think on that one.
wolfie
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll need to know the rules better, then we shall see.

Viral magic. That sounds like one of the nifty ideas I mentioned thats in Way of Shadow.

Helmets can be included by just jumping armor up one level when a helm is worn, with some penalty (likely Perception). As in Stormbringer 5. Thus 1D3 chainmail becomes 1D4 with a -1 Perception modifier. Or something like that. I like your rational for disarming traps. Reading Wayfarers had me thinking along those lines already, too. A game that spurs creativity is a good game, even if it doesn't get played.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swill it might be a good idea to include a section about how to make Wayfarers even deadlier. You could try including critical hits. Wanna aim for a hand, for it, off with his head, sure. You could have it so that weapons almost always do damage and to hit is modified by armor for the chance of a critical.

Or something like that I just read the post and had that to say.

Are you looking for optional rules or rules you think got left out or need to be expanded? What's the focus of the book? I think you should keep it smaller that way you can keep it concise. By attempting to do too much it can get messy.

If you have an environments supplement, fire, water, darkness, the planes.

You could do an optional rules, stuff like critical attacks, option skill rulings. I would make a separate magic expansion book.

A Twylos update. would make for a nice stand alone.

Characters could be compiled and their stories could be a stand alone.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you greyfaced. I added critical hits, environments and characters to the list of ideas.

Basically, WGJ is going to be a causal journal for the Wayfarers community. Everything in it is considered optional, and that's stressed in the foreword. It probably won't be more than 30-40 pages. It will be free to download and prints will sell at cost.

No doubt some of the stuff that ends up in the WGJ might make its way into actual YOGC books. But the journal basically represents a sounding board and casual reading for the lot of us.

I'm sure we'll have plenty for the 2nd issue.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that critical hits are generally a bad idea. Making Wayfarers more deadly means exactly one thing: making it more deadly for the PCs. 3rd ed D&D has a nice section where they say, whatever makes the game more random and deadly, hurts the PCs in the long run. Whatever reduces randomness, makes it easier for them to survive.

Although I guess as optional rules, anything is fair game.

I think Swill's main focus is increasing the rule set in a relaxed 'use this if you want to' way.

My focus is Twylos. Needs more grit. Needs less people. Needs more crazy places. Actually, let's try a thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Ye Olde Gaming Crier All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: