Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Armor and spellcasting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluffy
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Armor and spellcasting Reply with quote

So, if I understand this correctly, a mage, if wearing armor is forced to make a roll modified by the impedance score of the armor.

However, what happens if the mage sinks points down into Armor Use in order to cancel out the hit to their casting? I would think that I'd then apply the impedance score to their casting time, because they are being all the more careful when they cast.

Mind you, that would eat away at their points, but still I like to have some idea how to approach the things my finicky players are going to throw at me.

What does everyone else think?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad idea, Fluffy. You might get some grumpy casters, but I suppose it depends on your group and their crunch-tolerance.

It is true that as written the casting-failure is based upon impedance alone. So yes, you could have a wizard casting just fine in chain mail if his strength and Armor Use canceled out the -4 impedance.

Letting casters succeed but forcing them to take more time in armor is a very cool idea. You could divide the effects of Armor Use or strength, but I think it'd be too crunchy. Still, I don't see anything wrong saying that a 1st Circle spell has a casting of -5 in chain mail. Not sure what you'd do about -0 casting time spells like command though. -Probably best to leave those alone. In fact, it'd be reasonable to have this impedance delay affect only spells with a gestured component. Ooh, that's some crunch. Smile

Anyway, it's a very interesting idea. If you formalize it, I'd be happy to post it on the site. In fact, I think I am going to compile these user-generated tweaks and possibly put out a free PDF containing these home-brew rules. -Maybe this will become a digest: 'Optional Arcana".

Thanks. I'm going to think on this one.
Fluffy
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that perhaps the full impedance score might be a bit much; after all, they are putting points into it to make it viable. Perhaps the Impedance score divided by two would apply to their casting time.

And, with the rounding rules that would mean all armor adds at least some time to spells. Which I think would be more than fair, after all, they get a big bonus just from the spells, but throwing armor on top without penalty is a bit much.

I mean, does half of the impedance to time sound fair? Full impedance seems a lot, but half means you only move four ticks down init when you're casint in plate mail. Must be some other way to work it, any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fluffy
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, as a side note, I had a devil of a time finding out how armor impedance effected casting. Everytime I looked in the magic section it said to go to the armor section.

Eventually, as I reread the whole thing I saw it was under the Armor Impedance section in character creation.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffy wrote:
I mean, does half of the impedance to time sound fair? Full impedance seems a lot, but half means you only move four ticks down init when you're casint in plate mail. Must be some other way to work it, any ideas?

Sorry Fluffy, I missed that you posed a question here. Yeah, half sounds fair enough to me. I haven't tried it, so I can't say how it'd play. If you do, definitely let me know.

Fluffy wrote:
Also, as a side note, I had a devil of a time finding out how armor impedance effected casting. Everytime I looked in the magic section it said to go to the armor section. Eventually, as I reread the whole thing I saw it was under the Armor Impedance section in character creation.

Damn. You know, just when you think nothing else is going to pop up... Smile That is pretty sloppy. It's too bad the armor section didn't refer you to the magic section. Wink We are switching printers very soon, so I can do a minor fix when we do so. At the very least I can point people to the right section! Thanks for pointing this out. If you find anything else, please let me know. This is a big help.

I hate our smilies. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: