Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Pole Arms & Charging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dethsor
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Pole Arms & Charging Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm still quite new to Wayfearers, so if I've missed something, please let me know.

Within the charging rules, the individual being charged has the option of 'Recieving the Charge' or 'Interception' (which could instead be by a 3rd party).

Does anyone have an suggestions on how I could incorporate some benefit for using a weapon suited for defending against the charge? I think it should have some basic requirement in terms of the skill of the individual in the weapon (e.g. Weapon Mastery III+ in spear etc.)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Andrew,

Actually, there is the Charge discipline on page 15 of the Player's Reference Book which serves this purpose.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meta is right. Here you are Andrew:

Quote:
Charge: 4 skill points. Weapon class specific: Weapon Mastery I in
weapon classes D is a prerequisite for Charge. The character may add
an additional 1d6 points of damage when charging into melee combat
with the weapon and scoring a successful hit. In addition, the character
may apply 1d6 points of damage when receiving the charge of a
melee opponent and scoring a hit.

So it's a bonus when charging with, or receiving.
Dethsor
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Meta & Jimmy,
While that sort of has some bonus in there for characters/npcs that have that particular Discipline - Charge (and also the appropriate Weapon Mastery in class D - the 'long' weapons), it isn't *exactly* what I was looking for.

If I read it correct (apologies again if I've missed something), I still have the problem that the damage is applied simultaneously - but I think that the damage inflicted by the person receiving the charge with a class D weapon should be applied first. This would reflect the extra reach of the weapon (class D seems to be the pole-arm type weapons).

As this isn't a *easy* thing to do (not that I'm suggesting that anything that we make our characters do is easy) it could be reflected by being a 2nd level of the Charge Discipline (which only applies when using the Class D weapons) which also has the prerequisite of needing a higher level of Weapon Mastery in Class D.

I know that this adds unnecessary complication into a very neat & tidy rules system - so it may be better suited to being a house rule.

Thanks,
Andrew.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting house rule.

Perhaps you could create a more general discipline called 'primary strike' or something similar? In simultaneous initiative, the character's damage is dealt first.

I'd have to think on the ramifications, but if it were weapon-specific, and only concerned weapon-based attacks, it could be interesting. It should be relatively inexpensive, though.

Alternately, you could rule that, in a charge, if the weapons involved differed by 2' or more, the damage from the longer weapon is dealt first, rather than simultaneously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: