Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Espers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorchadas
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Espers Reply with quote

Just found the Wayfarers RPG through various forum postings, and it's pretty much everything I've been looking for out of a D&D-esque fantasy game. After snatching up the pdfs and looking around the forums, I noticed several older messages about "espers" and adding psychic powers to the system.

Was that ever finished? Dark Sun is my favorite old D&D campaign setting and probably what I'd run in Wayfarers, and converting the Complete Psionics Handbook would obviously be a lot more work than adapting an existing system.

Anyway, this is a great game and I'm really glad I found it! Very Happy
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear it, Dorchadas.

Alas, no one has set up a proper espers system to date. If you manage it definitely drop us a line.

IMO Moth had made some good inroads into something unique, and I wouldn't mind picking up what he dropped to put something together. His last incarnation had powers for each of the 5 attributes.

This is a rough outline of what he had:

Quote:
Agility:
1. Steal proficiency
2. Steal discipline
3. Steal knowledge
4. Steal spell
5. Steal ability (Takes powers even from monsters)

Endurance:
1. Resist Charm
2. Resist Elements
3. Resist Damage
4. Torpor- Obviate need for food/water/air
5. Energy Shield

Presence
1. Telepathy
2. Friends
3. Lie- Make subject believe anything
4. Empathy
5. Switch Mind

Intellect
1. Dispel Benefaction
2. Deny Damnation
3. Falsify Revelation
4. Thwart Tellurgy
5. Innocence (Complete immunity to faith magic)

Strength
1. Command- One word command
2. Reigns of Power- Take control of summoned or created creatures
3. Telekinesis
4. Geas- Instill long term compulsion
5. Possession

Dorchadas
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmySwill wrote:
Great to hear it, Dorchadas.

Alas, no one has set up a proper espers system to date. If you manage it definitely drop us a line.

I might end up doing that! I'll need to fully read through the books to make sure I don't end up doing too much work, but then I'll probably end up flipping through the Complete Psionics Handbook just for ease of use with Dark Sun...though I'm not sure how much would be left to base anything on if I throw out the broken stuff... Confused
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorchadas, here's a fairly barebones approach to psionics that I've found interesting. It was created for Castles & Crusades but it could be mined for ideas and inspiration. It covers the basics and should be easy to convert.

http://www.grey-elf.com/candc/psionics.pdf
Dorchadas
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll take a look at that and add it to the cauldron. Smile
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search around my computer and I think this is the most current version of the system I produced. It's a rough draft, but it has all the powers. I thought I sent this to Jim a few years ago, but I don't remember. This was written for the first edition of Wayfarers and doesn't take into account the changes in the revised version.

Enjoy, hack, steal, change, etc.

Basics: A character who takes the Psionic Potential discipline gains a number of power points equal to their Intellect + Presence. Each ability costs a number of points equal to its Valence to activate.

Agility

Steal Proficiency
Valence: 1st
Prerequisite: Agility 8
Duration: Instantaneous
Effect: Allows esper to use a proficiency or proficiency grade possessed by another
Range: 50'
Resistance: Mental 11
Speed: 0

When an esper activates this power, he or she can make a proficiency check at a grade possessed by another character. For instance, an esper with no grades in Perception could use Perception at grade III if another character who possesses grade III Perception is within 50'. The esper can make the check immediately, in the same round they activate this power. The target cannot use the stolen proficiency for 1 round after the esper uses this ability.

Steal Discipline
Valence: 2nd
Prerequisite: Agility 10
Duration: 10 rounds
Effect: Allows esper to use a discipline possessed by another character.
Resistance: Mental 12
Speed: -1

When an esper activates this power, he or she can temporarily use any Discipline possessed by another character within 50'. If the discipline has grades, the grade cannot exceed the esper's level. For instance, if a second level esper used this power to take Weapon Mastery III from a warrior, the esper would only get Weapon Mastery II, and the warrior would retain Weapon Mastery at grade I. The target cannot use the stolen Discipline while this power remains active. This power cannot be used to steal any of the following: Faith Magic Potential, Hermetic Magic Potential, Hedge Magic Potential, Ritual Magic Potential.

Steal Knowledge
Prerequisite: Agility 12
Effect: Allows the esper to take one discrete piece of information from a target.
Resistance: Mental 13
Speed: -2

Using this power, an esper can learn one discrete thing the target knows- the identity of an individual, the location of an object, the powers of an artefact, etc. Exactly what can be learned and what constitutes a discrete fact is up the GM. The target is only aware of the attempt if it is unsuccessful, in which case they will have a vague but deeply unpleasant sense of something rooting around in their skull.

Steal Spell
Prerequisite: Agility 14
Effect: Allows the esper to steal spells or spell points from a target.
Resistance: Mental 14
Casting Time: -3

Using this power, an esper can take one spell a target has memorized, as well as the necessary spell points to cast it. For instance, if an esper uses this spell to take a Locate spell from a priest, the Esper would get one first level spell slot as well as knowledge of the Locate spell. If an esper uses this ability on a mystic to take a blood doll spell, he or she learns blood doll and takes one Blood, one Gaia, and one Stitch point from the target. The esper cannot cast the spell the same round they activate this power.

Steal Ability
Valence: 5th
Prerequisite: Agility 16
Duration: 5 rounds
Effect: 1 creature
Resistance: Mental 15
Casting Time: -4

This power allows the esper to temporarily steal a special ability which is native to a character. This power can mimic the effects of Steal Proficiency, Steal Discipline, Steal Knowledge, and Steal spell, using the Mental Resistance difficulty of 15 and a duration of 5 rounds. This power can also steal the unique abilities of monsters, such a Smok's breath weapon or a Medusa's gaze.

Endurance

Resist Charm
Prerequisite: Endurance 8
Effect: Self
Range: Self
Resistance: None
Casting Time: 0

This ability is activated in response to being the target of any Hermetic or Hedge spell of the charm school, or any spell which compels the esper towards some course of action they would not normally be inclined to, such as the Beguile Ritual spell. Activating this power negates the charm spell as if a successful Mental Resistance check had been made.

Resist Elements
Prerequisite: Endurance 10
Casting Time: -1

By activating this power, the esper defies the forces of nature by his very will, enabling him to overcome the effects of extreme heat or cold. This power also reduces any damage the esper takes from fire, earth, air, or water by 5 damage. This includes effects with magical sources, such as an Ice Bolt spell.

Resist Damage
Valence: 3rd
Prerequisite: Endurance 12
Casting Time: -2

Activating this spell allows the esper to absorb damage as if he was wearing armor. The esper activates this power in response to taking damage, and the damage is reduced by 1d4+The highest Valence of Endurance power usable by the esper. For instance, an esper who meets the prerequisites to use Resist Damage but not Torpor reduces damage by 1d4+3.

Torpor
Valence: 4th
Prerequisite: Endurance 14
Duration: Indefinite

Activating this power shuts down the Espers body and renders it immune to poison, airlessness, extreme heat or cold, vacuum, or pressure. During the time the esper is insensate and cannot perceive anything other than the return of conditions allowing them to safely exit their torpor. While in this state, an esper does not age, nor does he have any need for food or water.

Energy Shield
Prerequisite: Endurance 16
Effect: 30' circle

By activating this power, the esper's living body emanates a field of shimmering force which blocks all incoming missiles of a mundane nature. In addition to this, all individuals within the force field automatically pass Resistance checks against physical or magical attacks, and any damage taken from such attacks is still reduced by 1d4+5.

Presence

Telepathy
Prerequisite: Presence 8
Effect: 1 mind per Valence
Casting Time: -0

By activating this power, an esper can speak directly into the minds of others. The esper can instantly convey a message of any length to a number of creatures within 50 feet equal to the highest Valence Presence power usable by the esper.

Friends
Prerequisite: Presence 10
Duration: 1 day
Effect: 1 creature per Valence
Range: 30'

When activated successfully, the Friends power induces one or more semi-intelligent or intelligent creatures to treat the esper in an amiable, friendly manner. Affected creatures will remain so as long as the esper does not grossly offend or act to the creature’s obvious detriment, or until the end of the power's duration. The initial attitude of targeted creatures towards the esper modifies their Mental Resistance check to resist the spell as such: positive, affable: -2, neutral, apathetic: 0, negative, hostile: +2. Note: In general, a creature able to resist the Friends power will not be aware the power was used, but as a result, will have a somewhat more negative opinion of the esper.

Lie
Prerequisite: Presence 12
Duration: (Valence) days

When successfully activated, an esper can use this power to speak one statement which the target will believe completely and act accordingly. This power can be used with the Telepathy power, but not in other mediums such as writing.

Truthsense
Prerequisite: Presence 14

By means of this power, an esper can sense whether a given spoken or telepathically conveyed statement is true or not. This power only allows the esper to ascertain truth insofar as the speaker knows it- if the speaker of the statement believes something to be true, this power will register it as true. This power cannot interpret nuance or ambiguity, only whether the speaker of the statement generally believes it is true or not. This power thwarts the 3rd Valence power Lie, even if the esper failed their Mental Resistance check against it.

Switch Mind
Prerequisite: Presence 16
Duration: Indefinite

By activating this power, the esper switches minds with a target, effectively inhabiting their body while they inhabit the esper's. The esper and the target retain their old Disciplines and Proficiencies in their new bodies, as well as their Intellect and Presence scores. They gain the Strength, Agility, and Endurance scores, as well as the number of Health points of their new bodies. The power can only be ended if the esper wills it.

Intellect

Dispel Benefaction
Prerequisite: Intellect 8

By activating this power, the esper dispels any benefaction spells which were cast on a target creature within the last 10 rounds. This includes causing Health points restored by spells like Heal Wounds to be lost once more.

Deny Damnation
Prerequisite: Intellect 10

Activating this power, the esper makes himself immune to any Faith magic spells of the Damnation domain. Any such spells which would affect him completely fizzle.

Falsify Revelation
Prerequisite: Intellect 12
Effect: 1 Priest casting a Revelation spell

By activating this power, the esper compromises the information a priest will receive from the next Revelation spell they cast. Instead of the priest receiving information directly from his spell, the information instead goes to the nearby esper, who can then edit the information in any way before it reaches the priest. If the Revelation spell does not involve the specific transference of information, such as the spell Project, this power merely causes the spell to fail.

Thwart Tellurgy
Prerequisite: Intellect 14

By activating this power, the esper makes himself and his possessions immune to the effects of Faith magic spells of the Tellurgy domain for 10 rounds. This power can also reverse the effects of Tellurgy spells on other creatures or objects, if the spell was used in the last 10 rounds. An esper using the second version of this power does not gain immunity, having used the energy to undo the magic.

Innocence
Prerequisite: Intellect 16

By activating this power, the esper renders himself and his possessions completely immune to the effects of any Faith magic spell or priest-created magic item for 10 rounds.

Strength

Command
Prerequisite: Strength 8
Duration: 1 round

Upon activating this power, the esper issues a one-word command to a target creature. The target must obey the command if they fail a Mental Resistance check. The target can interpret the command in any way they choose. Impossible commands such as “Die” will automatically fail.

Reigns of Power
Prerequisite: Strength 10
Duration: Special
Effect: 1 summoned or created creature

By activating this power, the esper takes control of a summoned creature (such as an animal summoned by Call Lesser Fauna) or a created creature (such as a Golem) if the current controller fails his Mental Resistance check. This power lasts until the creature is killed or dispelled or for 1 day.

Telekinesis
Prerequisite: Strength 12
Duration: Up to 5 rounds
Effect: Special

By activating this power, the esper can perform Feats of Strength or unarmed attacks at a range of fifty feet using only the power of his mind. If the esper desires an object to hover in mid-air and has passed the appropriate Feat of Strength check to lift it, he can compel it to hover for up to 5 rounds before needing to re-activate this power and make another check. Unarmed attacks made with this power use the esper's Unarmed Combat discipline grade.

Geas
Prerequisite: Strength 14
Duration: Special
Resistance: Mental 14

By activating this power, the esper issues a command of any length which instills in the target a long term compulsion. The target gets a modifier between -5 and +5, decided by the GM, based upon how the compulsion relates to the target's true nature and desires. If the target fails his Mental Resistance check, he is bound to spend at least eight hours out of each day working towards the completion of that goal, and cannot actively or knowingly work against it. Each week, the target receives a new Mental Resistance check to overcome the effects of the geas.

Possession
Prerequisite: Strength 16
Duration: 10 rounds+
Range: 10'

By means of this power, the esper can take complete possession of a creature if the target fails a Mental Resistance check. For the duration of this power, the esper decides every action this creature makes. Every 10 rounds the target gets another Mental Resistance check to break free.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Moth. Thanks!

How have you been?
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmySwill wrote:
Awesome, Moth. Thanks!

How have you been?

I'm well. I'm currently in grad school and still working on becoming a teacher. Also still gaming, though mostly AD&D 1e these days. How's it going?
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy.

We have an 11mo daughter. Also in addition to my research, I run http://hubski.com which has picked up some speed and has increased the demands on my time. I won't ever stop YOGC, however; although this year has been a tough one.

Crazy that WoTC is bringing back 1e AD&D support back. But, it's a far more interesting game than 4e, so good on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: