Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Wayfarers/Dark Sun
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Wayfarers/Dark Sun Reply with quote

I'm not very familiar with Dark Sun. I skimmed through the original, but never played in it.

If anyone can help Jhulae out, it would be appreciated:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?637150-Wayfarers-RPG-Converting-the-Dark-Sun-campaign-world
Jhulae
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya. Thanks for the message about the thread on RPG.net. I think I'll just start posting about it here since 1) I might find more help readily available and 2) its less likely to get dumped off the front page after about an hour.. Smile
Jhulae
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, what I have so far:

For races, I was going to use the mechanics of the races given in the rulebook for humans, and dwarves, converting the Wayfarer Orcs into DS Mul. (Maybe another race might be good for that?) I'm not sure if I want Half-Giants as PCs, and I think halflings would stay as NPCs too. As for elves, I'm not sure how to easily incorporate some of the DS Elf traits into the Wayfarer elves without making them a bit overpowered.

as far as classes go, I'm not sure about Defilers and how I could include them. They seem like they'd be too powerful if mage points were lowered for defilers, but the 'green' mage characters would be weaker if they had to take extra skills to overcome defiling magic.

The divine magic rules seem alright for Templars* and elementalists, but the question is figuring out which cleric spheres and whatnot fit each of them.

And, then there are the Dragon Lords. Oy. I don't *even* know where to begin with them. NPCs definitely, so I guess they could each be unique. I certainly wouldn't expect/want a PC to become one.

I'm not sure how the hedge magic would fit in properly, but I think it would work alright. Alchemists and such would fit properly in the setting I think.

*After looking over things more, I think using the Ritual magic for Templars would seem to fit, with the 'power' for the magic provided by the Dragon Lords.

That's what I have so far, but I'm not all that good at converting stuff so any help would be appreciated.
Jhulae
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleric Spheres.

Dark Sun clerics get their power from the elemental planes, not deities, so what spheres would seem to be appropriate for each of the elements?

Obviously Fire would probably have destruction based lists as Primary and Water would probably be high on the healing for their primary spheres. But, beyond that, what spheres would be a good fit for the elements?
Dorchadas
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on some conversion material based on finding this thread, and the similar one on RPG.net. It's kind of a rough draft, but I figured I'd post what I have so far. Smile

Edit: [link removed, see below]

New version, added a Discipline for templars and some notes about spells. I probably won't do too much more with the magic, since I think it'd be a lot less work using the original AD&D spells and changing saving throws into Resistance checks instead of converting everything. Embarassed

Last edited by Dorchadas on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorchadas
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bbq8g7uj1zvxkf/Dark%20Sun%20Extras.pdf

Added a Discipline for elemental and paraelemental clerics. This part seems pretty complete, so unless there's something missing or I notice anything when I do a re-read of my Dark Sun books, it's probably the final version.

Edited, some typoes fixed

Last edited by Dorchadas on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, I think that you've got the Dark Sun feel right.
Jhulae
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, good stuff. Definitely stuff I was stumped on converting mechanically. Very Happy
Dorchadas
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Psionics remains to be done, but that's a much bigger task, and at the moment I'm occupied in converting Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay's magic system into Wayfarers. Embarassed
Dorchadas
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a shortcut!: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bbq8g7uj1zvxkf/Dark%20Sun%20Extras.pdf

Psionics is in now. It does assume you own the Player's Option: Skills and Powers book for the Psionics section, though, since that isn't nearly as bad as the Complete Psionics Handbook and actually fits into Wayfarers pretty well already.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Dorchadas. Do you mind if I post it to Resources?
Dorchadas
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead! I'd wait a bit, though--I already know a couple more changes I'm going to make. I should have a new version in a few days. Smile
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorchadas wrote:
Go ahead! I'd wait a bit, though--I already know a couple more changes I'm going to make. I should have a new version in a few days. Smile

Awesome. Just let me know when.
Dorchadas
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another version, including some revisions to psionics!: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bbq8g7uj1zvxkf/Dark%20Sun%20Extras.pdf

That should be it! There are further changes I could make--psionic combat is terrible and you're always better off just stabbing them in the face--but that's getting out of the territory of a conversion. And anyway, I fixed the problem of being required to individually engage in protracted psionic combat with every individual target you want to use powers like invisibility on.

I do have a full adaptation in mind, but I'm waiting on the magic system from Beyond the Wall to come out, since I like a separation between magic and psionics and that'll let me adapt the Beyond the Wall magic so that magic is lengthy, lasting, and ritual-based, and psionics is immediate but fleeting.
Dorchadas
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I lied: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bbq8g7uj1zvxkf/Dark%20Sun%20Extras.pdf

Two minor changes--literacy costs more and isn't automatic, and added a Discipline to buy a High Science from The Will and the Way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: