Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Questions on: Deities, Encounters, and Attribute Balance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meadslosh
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Questions on: Deities, Encounters, and Attribute Balance. Reply with quote

Hello, all. I've enjoyed reading through my players' and GM's books, and as the possibility of running a campaign approaches I have found myself wondering about a few apparent vagaries in the game's design.

Firstly, deities and their domains. I recall scanning over a PDF of 1e long ago and recall there being some system in which deities have primary, secondary, and tertiary domains in various combinations, but I don't recall how those affect gameplay, nor does either book I have give much explanation to how domains should be distributed.

Would it be possible to get some examples of Twylos deities and which spells their priests can cast?

Secondly, monsters. I have seen the 1e "power score" chart but there is no explanation to how these numbers should be used or what exactly they mean in the context of the game. Are these still applicable to 2e? How does one calculate these numbers, and how should one use the numbers to design encounters? Is there a general rubric for what kinds of monsters are most appropriate for a party of any given skill level?

Finally, it seems like Agility is a pretty powerful attribute, being that it modifies dodge, attack bonus, initiative, and physical resistance. Meanwhile, Intellect is a much more esoteric attribute, modifying spellcasting that no character is guaranteed to use, a tremendous pool of proficiencies that no one character will all possess, and a bonus against a type of spell that is only one of many types. Has anyone played the game with Intellect as the relevant attribute for initiative, and did you feel it had a serious impact on the game for the better or worse?

Thanks to everyone in advance for responding.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Meadslosh.

I just put up the except from Twylos giving an overview of the deities:

http://yeoldegamingcompanye.com/pdfs/Gods-Twylos.pdf

Let me know if you need any clarification.

As for monsters, in the back of the revised GM manual there is a table that suggests skill points for slaying creatures. Those numbers can give a fair estimate of the relative power of creatures. There is no rubric, however.

Agility is very advantageous. Unless you are a Hedge/Hermetic user, Intellect is not very much so. There is now an illusion resistance modifier, but that isn't a game-changer.

I haven't tried using intellect as an initiative modifier. A reasonable possibility may be to average a character's intellect and agility and use that number for the modifier.
Meadslosh
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Swill!

Thanks for answering.

I can't believe I missed that skill points chart over and over again until you pointed it out. That's going to be very helpful. This has been a real 'duh' moment for me, a person who usually loves to pore over charts.

Thanks for posting that excerpt, it pretty much confirmed my hunches on the suggested ways of allocating domains. I really like the idea of splitting clergy into multiple orders with different focuses.

I think I agree with averaging Int and Agi for Initiative. Otherwise, Herm./Hedge casters do suddenly get a whole lot of extra use out of their key attribute.

Anyhow, I'm working on some rules for mass combat/combat against minions/mooks, here's hoping I'll get to test them soon and share them.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meadslosh wrote:
Anyhow, I'm working on some rules for mass combat/combat against minions/mooks, here's hoping I'll get to test them soon and share them.

Definitely do that.

I'd love to see it, and add it to the resources page and/or a WJG, if you like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: