Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Revision Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Revision Update Reply with quote

Hello all.

First off, thanks for your patience while waiting for the Wayfarers revision. This has been rough on us too.

However, I'm happy to report that we and Mongoose have found a way forward.

The primary issue that we were having, is that the combination of low demand for a first print run, and the expense of the large hardcover rulebook, was making it unviable as a product. Mongoose negotiated with the printers, and a number of ideas were explored with us. As a result, we have agreed to a way to get Wayfarers to print, and on to gaming store shelves.

This is what we are going to do:

Wayfarers and the World of Twylos will be initially released as three soft-cover books. These will be:

Wayfarers Player's Reference Book (~180pgs)
Wayfarers Game Master's Reference Book (~180pgs)
World of Twylos: A Campaign Setting for the Wayfarers Roleplaying Game (~140pgs)

In all honesty, we wanted to release Wayfarers as a hardcover. However, it just wasn't viable at this time. Left with the choice of soft cover, or no release, we opted to get the game out there. I do have a vision of releasing a large hardcover compendium if we can generate enough interest down the road; but that depends on broader adoption of the game which will not be possible if we don't get distributed.

I asked Mongoose about existing pre-orders, and they said that they will send both the Player's and GM's books to those of you that pre-ordered the rulebook. This will actually be a discount, now that it is in the form of two separate books.

One upside of this (besides actually getting the game out) is that we have an excuse to do another cover. I've talked to Leo Lingas, and he will be back for our Game Master's book cover. I am pretty jazzed about that.

So, in conclusion, Mongoose is distributing Wayfarers. The format isn't the one that we anticipated, but it is one that we can live with. Also, we get another cool cover.

Thanks everyone so much for hanging in there.

Now, I have to get to reformatting some indexes. We are going to get this done quick.

BTW, if any of you that were helping us work on the revision spotted a typo or other issue, please let me know ASAP!

-Jimmy
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to know that the issue has been resolved. Thanks for the update because, honestly, I was starting to be worried.

When could we expect the new books to be released and will they both be released simultaneously? What about the PDF(s)?

As for the errata, I have PMed you.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metathiax wrote:
It's good to know that the issue has been resolved. Thanks for the update because, honestly, I was starting to be worried.

I don't blame you. It didn't look like a sure thing.

Quote:
When could we expect the new books to be released and will they both be released simultaneously? What about the PDF(s)?

My goal is to get the book reformatted this week. Leo is starting on the cover right away. It's possible that the Player's might precede the GM's a bit, but I don't think by much. I expect it to be print-ready in 2-3 weeks. I'll keep a running update to let you all know.

Quote:
As for the errata, I have PMed you.

Thanks! Smile
Tywyll
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on how much the books will cost?
Rasfrasen
Lodge of the Bronze Knight
Lodge of the Bronze Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: cost? Reply with quote

100 gold Shocked
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told it will be:

Players: $29.99
GMs: $29.99
Tywlos: $24.99

That's about 19 each for the GM and Players. So the GM and Players books cost a bit more than the previous combined hardcover at 35.

A bit different from selling them out of my garage. We've now entered the world of viable business models.
Tywyll
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...not too bad. Though I wish they'd left the crunch in a single volume and put the world setting in its own book. Ah well.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update.

Leo has sent sketches and we have decided on the cover. I've moved from the Player's to the GM book now, and Metathiax is doing a bang up job of isolating typos left and right.

More word soon!
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three books have just been sent to Mongoose.

I can't thank Metathiax enough for his very critical eye. The revised Wayfarers will have far fewer typos due to his help. If any typos are left, I take the blame.

I'll let you know as soon as I know anything about the print date and the release of the PDFs.

Finally!
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see the finished product! Very Happy
Nutshell
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Good to hear the book got some clean-up during the delay. I can't wait for my copies! Making room on my shelf now...
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmySwill wrote:
All three books have just been sent to Mongoose.

Without going into specifics, do you know if all three books are scheduled to be released more or less simultaneously? If so, I think I'll add a World of Twylos section to my review.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll fidn out today and get back to you. They all have ISBNs, so it might be so.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got word from Mongoose that the two rulebooks will be released in April, and The World of Twylos in May.

The new books will be up on their site shortly.
Ars Mysteriorum
Demiurge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W00T!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: