Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Updates on the Wayfarers revision.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Now I see.

Geez. I don't know if I want to get in the middle of this one. Smile

But, you asked...

I would cut all skill points earned in half for the conversion to the revision (rounding up!). So, that would give good old Gaius 101 pts.

The crux of the reasoning goes to the fact that in the revised system, it is assumed that the GM will award about 1/2 as many skill points for the same accomplishment (pg 181).

It is a bitter pill to swallow for Giaus, I am sure. 200 is a nice number. You might suggest to Rex that Giaus at least be allowed to keep just a few more skill points (105), -just so that he isn't mistakenly associated with the other converted pleebs. :p I'll back you up on that.
Rasfrasen
Lodge of the Bronze Knight
Lodge of the Bronze Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: The rest of the pleebs... Reply with quote

Yes, we definitely don't want Gaius grouped up with the rest of the pleebs...He is a special kind of pleeb. Anyone else rolls ones on a twenty sided once in a while on one dice, but not Gaius! He rolls double ones multiple times in an evening. Now that takes talent and shows us Gaius's overwhelming skills!
famouswolf
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of quick questions.

One, any changes to armor and shields?

Two, any changes to spell acquisition and cost?

On that second question, how would you suggest making Hermetic magic easier to acquire and use without breaking the game? Also, I am thinking of introducing a rule to let Hermetic mages use upper level spells before they reach the required circle, perhaps with sacrifice, health damage or something. I'd appreciate the thoughts of folks who know the system about this.
famouswolf
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what do you mean by saying the Fourth Age of Twylos has been flushed out? How much of that is in the setting book? Expanded? And, is viral magic and other related rules in the new rulebook?

Sorry about all the questions, got it on my mind.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

famouswolf wrote:
I have a couple of quick questions.

One, any changes to armor and shields?

Yes. Instead of a standard impedance modifier, impedance from armor is now based on strength. Also, shields absorb differently: buckler: 1d6-4, shield: 1d6-3, kite shield: 1d6-2.

Weapon damage has been increased, typically by one die (i.e. dagger now does 1d6 rather than 1d4).

Quote:
Two, any changes to spell acquisition and cost?

Yes, all skill costs have been adjusted. On average the skill points gained and skill costs have been halved. The math is much easier. Some of the magic costs were affected slightly differently.

Quote:
On that second question, how would you suggest making Hermetic magic easier to acquire and use without breaking the game? Also, I am thinking of introducing a rule to let Hermetic mages use upper level spells before they reach the required circle, perhaps with sacrifice, health damage or something. I'd appreciate the thoughts of folks who know the system about this.

There is a new optional Lesser Faith magic discipline. A similar discipline could be created for Hermetic. As Hermetic is pretty powerful, making it easier to get the full discipline will shift the balance of things. But that's fine if that's what you want. There's endless ways to create trade-offs. I haven't tried any, but those you suggest might work. There is also a magic specialization discipline in the revised version that enables casting of spells 1 Circle higher than normal within a specific school.

Quote:
Also, what do you mean by saying the Fourth Age of Twylos has been flushed out? How much of that is in the setting book? Expanded? And, is viral magic and other related rules in the new rulebook?

That's a terrible habit of mine. Smile It's been 'fleshed' out. Greg added to the Fourth Era stuff in the WGJs, and he has viral spells 1-5th in there. It's a very silly book. Smile

Quote:
Sorry about all the questions, got it on my mind.

Not at all!
famouswolf
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, instant response.

Thanks for the info. I'm in. Very Happy

I am scratching my head about the shield absorption, though. I think I would have gone with more certain protection, maybe 1d2, 1d3, and 1d4. Or even making shield use a proficiency, make the roll and parry the blow.

Another question..
How much art is re-used versus new?

Last edited by famouswolf on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

famouswolf wrote:
Wow, instance response.

Thanks for the info. I'm in. Very Happy

I am scratching my head about the shield absorption, though. I think I would have gone with more certain protection, maybe 1d2, 1d3, and 1d4. Or even making shield use a proficiency, make the roll and parry the blow.

Yeah, that's one place where I'm pretty sure I bucked popular opinion. Feel free to over-rule me, but give it a shot first. Smile

Quote:
Another question..
How much art is re-used versus new?

I think the Rulebook has 6 or 7 new pieces. We pulled some of the weaker pieces, and Matteo Bocci, Peter Mullen and Nuno gave us new art. Oh, and one Jeff Dee illustration too! I would have liked to get more from Jeff, but it wasn't in the cards (or the budget). We also swapped some WGJ pieces in for weaker pieces. I believe that all the stock art is gone.

The book looks cleaner, and the average quality of the art is higher. It all has that old school feel, however. Oh, and the new cover by Leo Lingas.
famouswolf
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, don't think I'll over rule the games designers. That's almost always a slippery slope. I would be interested in your rationale if you have the time and patience.

This gamebook looks very good. I hope it gets out by Christmas.

Thanks again.
famouswolf
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more news? Mongoose doesn't have very much, I was hoping for a preview to see how different it looks.

I especially want to see the modified weapons tables.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Sprange just told me that it goes to print next week. I think it will be available in one month.

I just did an interview here: http://www.geeknative.com/24033/jimmy-swills-wayfarers-interview/

I'm working on getting the PDF version done, and getting a preview PDF out in about 2 weeks.
famouswolf
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Very Happy That is exactly what I wanted. The illustration on page 7 conjures up the very essence of the early days, by the way. The armor combines with shields into one roll? Nicely done, and I suppose a chain+shield combo could also be rolled as 1d6, as it results in the same average, if not minimum (you could look at it as being a bit more effective together, anyway how kind does the GM want to be?). Clever, I like it.

I hope the game is available on time, as it's on my Christmas list, and I am going to try to run it at local game stores next year.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks famouswolf.

But, I can't believe I just found a typo! Under the chart, the example with scale mentions a strength of 11, but uses a strength of 12! Argh. I have to see if I can get the fix in now. So very many times combing through, and on an example page I find one. :/

Anyway, the chain/shield in 1d6 would be a neat trick, but it would be just a tad better. 1d6 - 3 has an expectation value of 1, whereas 1d3 has a value of 2. So chain + shield is an average of 3, but 1d6 is 3.5.

Now, I've got to get this fix in!
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy,

How are the World of Twylos and the PDFs coming along? I can't wait to get a hold of them. Cool
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metathiax wrote:
Jimmy,

How are the World of Twylos and the PDFs coming along? I can't wait to get a hold of them. Cool

Very well. The WoT is done. I'm just finishing up edits. I may finish tonight, actually.

The Wayfarers PDF is done. I'm just adding bookmarks. Apparently, the book printed this week.

So very soon! You will be the first to know!
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmySwill wrote:
Metathiax wrote:
Jimmy,

Very well. The WoT is done. I'm just finishing up edits. I may finish tonight, actually.

The Wayfarers PDF is done. I'm just adding bookmarks. Apparently, the book printed this week.

So very soon! You will be the first to know!

It's great to hear!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: