Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Updates on the Wayfarers revision.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Updates on the Wayfarers revision. Reply with quote

It was a long month, but the revised version of Wayfarers is done. According to Mongoose, the new version should be available in December.

Thanks to everyone that took part in the revision process!

Here are some of the changes that you can expect:

Most creatures have been modified, and some new ones have been added.
Weapon damage has changed.
Many spells have been changed and some new ones have been added.
New GM resources.
A few new skills have replaced a few old ones.
New Optional Skills and Races.
Armor Impedance has been modified.
Natural Healing has been modified.
Skill costs have been modified and simplified.
Attributes costs and effects have been modified.
New art, and a new cover!

There are some more changes, but those are the ones that will make the most difference. All in all, the game feels and plays much the same. My personal impression is that character creation feels a bit cleaner, and a bit looser, and that combat is a bit more deadly.

I'm looking forward to December. I have also started plans for a fall campaign!

Revisions to the World of Twylos are underway.
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. You seem to have done a lot of work in a short amount of time.

At some point, will there be a list of changes or are they too many to compile?

Thanks for the hard work!
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Meta.

I should have taken notes as I went through. When I get a chance, I'll start a more detailed list and post it here. Yesterday I decided to make one last addition, actually.

The most time-consuming part wasn't making revisions, but making sure that any change was correctly reflected throughout the text.
Ars Mysteriorum
Demiurge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on doing such speedy work!
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Updates on the Wayfarers revision. Reply with quote

JimmySwill wrote:
Most creatures have been modified, and some new ones have been added.

Jimmy, just curious, could you scoop us as to which new creatures have been added? Twisted Evil
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. I don't have a book with me, but I think I can remember...

Giant Eel
Fuath
Gru
Shade
Skreeg
Poltergeist
Hobbit
Waldin (treefolk)
Firedrake

Of course, every existing creature has changed some too. Brownies can Call Fauna, I think. Smile

As an aside, I was just visiting Greg and some pals, and to take them though the new character creation, I ran a quick scenario where they battled for a copy of the new book (for real). Greg almost lived. It was pretty funny. There were two small rooms, one on each side of a larger room, and the walls in between were some type of unbreakable glass. Anyway, there were 2 PCs in each of the side rooms, accompanied by a crocodile and a giant centipede respectively. Of course, the crocodile and centipede had chains around their necks bearing keys to the door to out to the big middle room...

In the big middle room a new copy of the Wayfarers sat in a locked case. A grizzly bear roamed around the case with a key around his neck. It was a race to fight to the book. The crocodile and centipede each claimed one PC, and the grizzly bear got the last two. Greg was so very close! Very Happy 15 times he opened the door, shot his crossbow at the grizzly, and slammed it before it got back to him. Finally, all he had left was a hammer and a wounded but very angry grizzly to face.
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmySwill wrote:
Sure. I don't have a book with me, but I think I can remember...

Giant Eel
Fuath
Gru
Shade
Skreeg
Poltergeist
Hobbit
Waldin (treefolk)
Firedrake

Of course, every existing creature has changed some too. Brownies can Call Fauna, I think. Smile

That will make for nice additions.

JimmySwill wrote:
As an aside, I was just visiting Greg and some pals, and to take them though the new character creation, I ran a quick scenario where they battled for a copy of the new book (for real). Greg almost lived. It was pretty funny. There were two small rooms, one on each side of a larger room, and the walls in between were some type of unbreakable glass. Anyway, there were 2 PCs in each of the side rooms, accompanied by a crocodile and a giant centipede respectively. Of course, the crocodile and centipede had chains around their necks bearing keys to the door to out to the big middle room...

In the big middle room a new copy of the Wayfarers sat in a locked case. A grizzly bear roamed around the case with a key around his neck. It was a race to fight to the book. The crocodile and centipede each claimed one PC, and the grizzly bear got the last two. Greg was so very close! Very Happy 15 times he opened the door, shot his crossbow at the grizzly, and slammed it before it got back to him. Finally, all he had left was a hammer and a wounded but very angry grizzly to face.

So that means that the book was left unclaimed? Can't wait to get a copy of my own but I hopefully won't have to fight a grizzly to get one. Wink
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. No one got the book. -Yeah, I am one of those GMs. Wink

I just realized I wrote Hobbit(TM). I added Haubits. And it's Waldkin, not Waldin. -Although that would be a nice ode to Thoreau.
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The revised edition has been made available for pre-order at Mongoose Publishing (nice cover art!) : http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/wayfarers-core-rulebook.html

Jimmy do you know what the page count will be? Also, what got you to decide that the Twylos campaign setting should be published separately?
Rex
Strategoi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not find a release date for the book on the Mongoose site. I placed a preorder. When will those be shipped?
Ars Mysteriorum
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord, this cover is gorgeous.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all. Sorry for the delay. I was out of town for a wedding this weekend.

First off, this was a surprise. I wasn't aware that the preorder was going up.

Metathiax wrote:
Jimmy do you know what the page count will be? Also, what got you to decide that the Twylos campaign setting should be published separately?

The page count for the rulebook is 365. Twylos is about 135 (I'm just finishing up revisions). We could have gone with a 500 page book, but chose not to for a couple of reasons, size was one. Personally, I've always wanted to see WoT as a stand-alone text. Time will tell if we made the right decision there. Unfortunately, Wayfarers is more expensive as a game that isn't personally mailed by its author, and I realize splitting up the books doesn't help. I wouldn't blame anyone from taking the view that we did it to increase revenue, but to be perfectly honest, neither Greg and I have visions (delusions) of riches. And still, I do genuinely hope that Mongoose finds it worthwhile to get our game out there. They left the decision up to us, and this is what we went with.

Rex wrote:
I could not find a release date for the book on the Mongoose site. I placed a preorder. When will those be shipped?

I have a feeling that you all will know before I do. :/ My most current information is that it prints next month, and they are aiming for the first week of December for release.

Ars Mysteriorum wrote:
Good lord, this cover is gorgeous.

Glad you think so! We were really happy to have Leo back on board.

Looks like I've got a lot of work to do!
Doomwarden
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Any plans for a Hard Copy+PDF Combo? Reply with quote

I just ran across this game in passing and have been impressed enough with it from what I've seen to order the PDF from Drive-Thru RPG, but before I did I found out about the revision...glad I came here first lol. But will there be a deal, and will the revision necessitate a new Screen as well?
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Any plans for a Hard Copy+PDF Combo? Reply with quote

Doomwarden wrote:
I just ran across this game in passing and have been impressed enough with it from what I've seen to order the PDF from Drive-Thru RPG, but before I did I found out about the revision...glad I came here first lol. But will there be a deal, and will the revision necessitate a new Screen as well?

Hi Doomwarden. Glad you like what you see. The original books will be discounted shortly. Characters and Trouble at Niven's Creek will be updated for the revised game soon after. The screen might take a bit more time, but the original screen won't be compatible.

I'll make all of this clear in the next few days when the current materials are discounted, and we make an announcement on what is to come.
Doomwarden
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I look forward to hearing ALL about it, as I really think this game will scratch that 'old-school' itch but still have a 'modern' balanced design.

Rather as if 1st/2nd Edition AD&D and D20 were in a horrible transporter accident only something wonderful came out instead Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: