Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

YOGC Registration/Hello Thread: Read First
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> YOGC Hello Thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: YOGC Registration/Hello Thread: Read First Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the YOGC Community Forum.

Due to a constant barrage of spammers, we ask all folk register to post a quick 'Hello' here. If you do not post here or elsewhere, it is likely you'll be deleted as a spam account.

If you feel so inclined, we ask you answer the following important questions here:

1: Hobbit or Gnome?

2: What was the last good book you read?

3: What was the name of your favorite NPC or PC?

Thanks!

Last edited by JimmySwill on Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello world. This is Greg Vrill speaking.

1. I'll take the 5th here, as I've been scolded before for cussing on these forums.

2. I just finished "Topology of a Phantom City" by Alain Robbe-Grillet. It's the same scene, re-imagined in many different ways chapter by chapter. It's sort of about women. Not for everyone, but I like his style, which is sort of like reading art criticism texts.

3. Well I guess I'd have to say my favorite NPC was this brilliant Master Alchemist, name of... hmm, what was that guy's name again?
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll do as I say...

1: Gnome. Deep gnome.

2: Not the last, but recent and of note: "You Shall Know our Velocity" by Dave Eggers. After reading some of 'A Heart-breaking Work of Staggering Genius' I went into this very skeptical. YSKoV is a very nice book. Almost disarming in some ways. It feels like there's some Salinger and maybe Joyce in it, but something unique. It's not smarmy imitation. I'd read his next.

3: James T. Swill III.
Korvenis Wrathtree
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Troll.

2. Spartacis, for history class.

3. Korvenis Wrathtree, of course.
Ars Mysteriorum
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: YOGC Registration/Hello Thread: Read First Reply with quote

JimmySwill wrote:
Hello and welcome to the YOGC Community Forum.

Due to a constant barrage of spammers, we ask all folk register to post a quick 'Hello' here. If you do not post here or elsewhere, it is likely you'll be deleted as a spam account.

If you feel so inclined, we ask you answer the following important questions here:

Thanks!

Hello!

1: Hobbit, of course. Gnomes are for punting purposes only.
2: I read John Dies At The End. Beyond brilliant.
3: My paladin from childhood, Maerik Tyrcolis Valice.
Cyndre
Demiurge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should list some background before I answer the questions. My posting name is a ridiculously overpowered female drow cleric fighter or something from back when being overpowered was cool. I SHOULD have used the name King Tut, which many of my fellow posters are familiar with.

King Tut is a concept that arose from gaming late night with one too many bottles of Mountain Dew and cheap pizza. There was a box of Bugles (yum!) on the table, and side panel showed the food pyramid (or w/e it's called, 6 servings of grain, 2 servings of meat, etc.). Well, I decided that the undead remains of King Tut resided in this pyramid and that if you knocked on his door (which, as you approached the door, you would notice a pile of shiny new halberds laying just outside the door - odd, as well as a Do Not Disturb Until Xmas sign hanging from the doorknob- also odd. Lastly, a pyramid with a door, nevermind a doorknob? Odd yet again), he would come flying out sideways (his torso unusually long, his legs (if any) hidden deep within his pyramid) screaming like all the 9 Hells, holding a halbard. But, he was SO furious, that he simply couldn't use the hallbard. He would throw it on the ground, engorged with fury, and go for the old claw/claw/bite. If he killed you, he dragged you inside to eat you, and closed the door. If not, he simply closed the door. Either way, he always left a Do Not Disturb Till Xmas sign on the doorknob (you should have listened!). Anyway, that night we got kicked out of the session, drove to my partner in crime's ex-girlfriend's apartment, where we failed to say anything when she opened the door, and then, sadly, closed the door. I forgot what happened after that.

So, in my mind, though my handle says Cyndre, King Tut (KT) types these words with his bony undead Egyptian talons (or perhaps the point of a halbard? You'll never know).

1. Neither. Undead Egyptian prince. Pleased to meet you.

2. I honestly do not like reading. I've done enough of it in school. Wait, strike that. Wayfarers Smile

3. The name of my favorite entity (neither a PC nor an NPC) was Big Ben. Big Ben was an (unusually large) six-sided die that was rolled to determine the results of your typical search (A musty room? I'll search around, hoping to find a ridiculously overpower...I mean, candle or something).

If I recall correctly:
1: Was "Uh oh, encounter!"
2: No idea
3: No idea
4: "It's a dragon!"
5: "Magic Sword!"
6: "BIG BEN"

Alternately, the map that we used for the Narbohring campaign was my favorite. La Badlandsa, so nice. The Great Plains of Leaping Norseman. Truly infuriating for the DM, and all my modifications were utterly non-value adding.

Oh, I did like the "Metal Druid" that I played in the last campaign. A druid that hated trees, animals, and all that stuff. This Metal Druid built androids and then imbued them with some sort of animatory power (Summon Woodland Friend? Pass. How about I build a poisonous robotic scorpion and it becomes sentient).

---
Chickens, page 425 of Wayfarers, is missing a key rule. If you roll a natural 6, you roll again and keep a cumulative total until you do not roll a 6. Rolled a 13 to hit, 19 damage, etc. Helps the trash talk.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal druid rocked the house. That should be a real class, damn it.

(Eh, it probably is somewhere, and I'm sure a million steampunk games have their variants. If you can't be original, at least be hilarious.)
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyndre wrote:
Anyway, that night we got kicked out of the session, drove to my partner in crime's ex-girlfriend's apartment, where we failed to say anything when she opened the door, and then, sadly, closed the door. I forgot what happened after that.

Thanks for flashback, Cyndre. I think that was one of the funniest moments of my life. I know it was very late and we had tears in our eyes laughing. -I don't think that moment at the door was ever explained until now.

Ah, long live KT.
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Hobbits.

2. Naked by David Sedaris.

3. Zindle Braddock, who never let anyone forget that he graduated top of his class from the Midvale Academy of the Liberal Magical Arts, double major in Evocation and Bardic Knowledge, captain of the fencing team. Evoker/Bards weren't exactly a good idea mechanically in 3rd edition, but he was fun to play. He had a talking skull named Murry who didn't like him very much, but Zindle insisted they were best friends and kept him in a bag of holding, because that's what best buds are for.

Edit: I should mention that I really liked Apprentice Steve. Poor guy, that was a great blog he had.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, your guy sounds similar in spirit to some of Swill's PCs.

So, Nabokov has this theory that the 'man in the macintosh' in James Joyce's Ulysses is Joyce himself. It's not totally uncommon for authors to slip themselves in to their books, either overtly or incognito.

Anyway, Apprentice Steve? Was ME dammit. Well not me Greg Vrill, because me/Vrill already had his/my own thing and blog going on. Eh, well, it's sort of complicated, but I still can't believe you offed him Grayfaced. That was so cold.
FredH
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Hiya. Reply with quote

1: Hobbit.

2: Harald, by David Friedman.

3: Favorite PC: A Serenity character, John Wrack, who was a recovering Reaver.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, welcome Fred.
Travious Clay
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw demi-humans. I use em to test the sharpness of my blade.

Good book? you mean the bible, I read it every day.

Mr. Bolar, he's so in side sports, makes me a cool elitist elder gamer.
Dag
Demiurge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Travious.
Shadowryft
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from the Shadowryft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> YOGC Hello Thread All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: