Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

My house rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: My house rules Reply with quote

I just wanted to share the house rules I'm going to use in my campaign with other board members. I must say that I am very pleased with the fact that they are few in numbers and limited in scope. That's as close to RAW as I have ever been for a fantasy RPG.

- Two-weapons fighting :

Characters suffer from half of their off-hand penalties to-hit with their on-hand when fighting with two weapons instead of only -1.

- Two-handed weapons :

Strength provides the following damage modifiers when using two-handed melee weapons; 1: -5, 2-3: -4, 4-5: -3, 6-7: -2, 8-9: -1, 10-11: 0, 12-13: +1, 14-15: +2, 16-17: +3, 18-19: +4, 20: +5.

- Base to-hit modifiers : (taken from a discussion on these boards)

Strength and Agility now each provide to-hit modifiers; 1-3: -2, 4-7: -1, 8-13: 0, 14-17: +1, 18-20: +2.

- Non-proficient checks : (taken from WGJ #2)

To attempt a non-proficient check, the character rolls 2d20 and keeps the lowest die result instead of rolling 1d10.

- Shields : (inspired by an article in WGJ #1)

There are now three types of shields; small, medium, and large. Wielding a shield allows a character, at his or her initiative until the end of the round, to use it as partial cover (as described in page 197 of the rules) against missile attacks instead of attacking or performing another action. The Shield Use discipline is therefore extended to three grades to account for the added shield impedance.

Shield Type / Absorbance / Impedance / Cover
Small / 1 / -1 / 25%
Medium / 1 / -2 / 50%
Large / 1 / -3 / 75%

- Cover :

When judged appropriate, partial cover can also provide bonuses (+2, +4, and +6 for 25%, 50%, and 75% cover respectively) to physical resistance checks against some ranged attacks.

- Armor vs weapon types :

Armor Type / Absorbance vs Blunt Weapons / Absorbance vs Edged Weapons
Leather / 1 / 1
Padded / 1d2 / 1
Studded leather / 1 / 1d2
Ring / 1d2 / 1d2
Chain mail / 1d2 / 1d3
Splint / 1d3 / 1d2
Scale / 1d3 / 1d3
Banded / 1d3 / 1d4
Plate / 1d4 / 1d6
Full Plate / 1d6 / 1d8

- Weapons strength requirement : (inspired by a discussion on these boards)

In order to properly wield a weapon, a character needs to have a minimum strength equal to the maximum damage that it can inflict. If the character does not meet the strength requirement, he will suffer a (strength – requirement) penalty to-hit when using the weapon.

- Critical hits & fumbles :

The critical hits and fumbles rules are used with the following distinction. On a natural roll of 20, the attack is an automatic hit but it is only critical if it would have succeeded anyway. Likewise, on a natural roll of 1, the attack is an automatic miss but it is only a fumble if it would have failed anyway.

- Invisibility : (taken from a discussion on these boards)

The 4th Hermetic/Hedge spell's duration is reduced from '1 hour per Circle' to '10 minutes per Circle'.

- Training :

Training time rules are not used. Characters are assumed to train whenever possible.

- Water combat : (taken from WGJ #1)

All land-dwelling creatures apply a -5 impedance adjustment when in water. This waterbased impedance does not affect a character’s movement rate. As a result, a character in water would apply a -5 adjustment to his or her dodge score, and a -5 modifier to his or her initiative rolls, agility-related proficiency checks, and Hermetic/Hedge casting failure rolls. All creatures native to water should not apply this water-based impedance modifier.

However, swimming expertise reduces this hindrance. For each grade of the Swimming proficiency he or she possesses, a character reduces the -5 water-based impedance score adjustment by 1. Furthermore, due to the resistance of water, only piercing weapons can be used effectively when underwater while slashing weapons inflict ½ of their normal damage and bludgeoning weapons just ¼ of their normal damage.

- Healing : (inspired by a discussion on these boards)

Characters get a (total Health/Endurance – 1) bonus per day to their natural healing rate, per Circle of the spell providing magical healing, to any regeneration rate, and to the Health restored on a Healing proficiency check.

- Magic item creation :

The Inscribe, Alchemy, Enchantment, Artifact, and Relic spells are ignored and therefore not required for the creation of magic items. The appropriate spells, ingredients, resources, time, and successful Dweomercraft proficiency checks are the only requirements for a Hermetic (scrolls, potions, weapons, armor, wands, and artifacts), Hedge (scrolls and potions) or Faith (relics when favored by the patron deity) spellcaster at any given skill level.

Now on with the conversion work of the introduction adventure...

MX

Last edited by Metathiax on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:38 am; edited 4 times in total
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great stuff, Metathiax. It's interesting to see where people feel the need to tweak. Let me know how these work out for you.

BTW, I have found that 2d20 take the lowest works great for non-proficiencies. It will likely become Wayfarers cannon.

I like the shield variation. It is simple but interesting. You might want to make some small folk adjustments for cover, maybe for impedance.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could kill off all the wee folk.
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I tried to stay in line with the rules' elegant design.

The adjustments for two-weapons fighting (too little trade-off for a free attack) and invisibility (I can totally foresee some of my players trying to remain invisible all the time) are meant to avoid abuse from the players. I think that the toned-down versions are still very attractive.

The 2d20 non-proficient checks just makes the proficiencies system even more elegant, if that's possible.

For the shields, I didn't want to mess with the game's damage vs absorbance balance but I still liked the idea of adding them some variety and usefulness.

Quote:
You might want to make some small folk adjustments for cover, maybe for impedance.

I'm not sure I get your meaning.

As for training, although its implementation does add some realism, I always felt that it broke the campaign's rhythm and we don't get to play often enough to let that happen. So on with the video-gamy leveling-up. Wink

The cover and water combat additions fill in the rules for some less common but still likely game occurrences.

The healing bonus is just there to try to fix an old D&D bug.

MX
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metathiax wrote:
I'm not sure I get your meaning.

I meant that dwarves or gnomes might get more cover from a shield, but perhaps suffer a greater impedance. Probably not necessary for dwarves, but maybe gnomes.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or just kill em.
Chaoswarrior
Strategoi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have apparently gotten two versions of your house rules Meta. One lists monkey grip at 10 skill points and the other lists it as 5 skill points. Can you tell me which is the most current or right?

Another question. Is there any drawback to using power attack, or is it just use a flat d6 with every attack?
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaoswarrior wrote:
I have apparently gotten two versions of your house rules Meta. One lists monkey grip at 10 skill points and the other lists it as 5 skill points. Can you tell me which is the most current or right?

I think that one of the versions that you've got was for the original rules (the single rulebook). A lot of its content (and a lot of what I've posted in this thread) is now obsolete with the revised rules (the three rulebooks).

The most current version of my house rules is always linked in my signature below and they are meant to be used with the revised books.

For example, the maths involved with disciplines and proficiencies have been simplified in the revised books. The skills point costs have roughly been reduced by half, explaining the 10 to 5 skill points drop for monkey grip.

Chaoswarrior wrote:
Another question. Is there any drawback to using power attack, or is it just use a flat d6 with every attack?

No drawback, it's a flat d6 with every attack as it currently stands. We'll see if it's a wise choice or not with playtesting... Wink
Chaoswarrior
Strategoi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that the extra damage for using a two handed weapon became the damage bonus for one handed weapons in the new edition.

Do you use the same damage bonus for two handed damage as one handed now, or is there a new chart?
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The revision has made it obsolete. I play the game RAW except for the contents of my house rules document.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: