Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Greetings and thanks for the invite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> YOGC Hello Thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madprofessor
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Greetings and thanks for the invite Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a copy of Wayfarers and I have high hopes for it.

I've been a fantasy RPG GM for 30+ years and I've tried nearly every game you can think of, and written a few too.

I have a love/hate relationship with D&D. I have known for a long time that my dissatisfaction comes from levels and classes that pigeonhole PCs and break the power curve. As a consequence I generally play skill based games like BRP, Omni, and even SW. However, I am constantly drawn back to my roots with older editions of D&D. I think, I hope, maybe, Wayfarers will be the solution I have been looking for.

Anyway, thanks for the invitation to join this forum,

Cheers,

Madprofessor
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome madprofessor,

Your gaming story is not unlike mine. I've been running Wayfarers regularly for the past few years and my group has been enjoying the game. Light modern system, old-school feel, easy GM prep, high PC customizability, TSR-era & OSR material readily adaptable, no endless stream of splatbooks; what's not to like! Very Happy

I find that Wayfarers shines in actual play, try it out and it might scratch that D&D itch of yours. Wink
madprofessor
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Metathiax,

Your review on RPG.net pushed me into giving Wayfarers a try. I wanted to let you know that your efforts there made a difference to at least one tired old GM. I also just looked at your campaign rules and like some of what I saw.

I rarely find a game that I don't feel the need to write a hefty set of house rules myself. Perhaps, this come comes from years of habits and preferences, or from a decade running of 1st ed D&D (which is virtually unplayable as written). Perhaps it is just because I truly enjoy the challenge of writing rules and all the complexities of balance, simplicity, integration, and effectiveness, etc. At any rate, I look forward to some crunchy discussion on these forums. I may follow your lead and post my house rules as I develop them.

Madprofessor
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madprofessor wrote:
Thanks Metathiax,

Your review on RPG.net pushed me into giving Wayfarers a try. I wanted to let you know that your efforts there made a difference to at least one tired old GM.

I'm glad that you have found it helpful.

madprofessor wrote:
I also just looked at your campaign rules and like some of what I saw.

Which reminds me that it has been a while since I've last updated the linked file. My latest version is now online.

madprofessor wrote:
I rarely find a game that I don't feel the need to write a hefty set of house rules myself. Perhaps, this come comes from years of habits and preferences, or from a decade running of 1st ed D&D (which is virtually unplayable as written). Perhaps it is just because I truly enjoy the challenge of writing rules and all the complexities of balance, simplicity, integration, and effectiveness, etc.

Same here, the version of 2E AD&D, and then C&C, that I once ran were heavily house-ruled. I think I would have liked 3.XE D&D if it were not so overwhelmingly crunchy. With the current abundance of fantasy RPGs, I now prefer games that don't require as much tinkering to satisfy my tastes.

I run Wayfarers as close to RAW as I ever did for other D&D-like RPGs. My house rules are fairly limited in scope, really more of a listing of options available to my players as well as filling a few perceived gaps. The most significant tweak lies with my approach to armor.

madprofessor wrote:
At any rate, I look forward to some crunchy discussion on these forums. I may follow your lead and post my house rules as I develop them.

I will be looking forward to those discussions and maybe borrow some of your own ideas. Smile

MX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> YOGC Hello Thread All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: