Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Just bought the game - some rule questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zorglub
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Just bought the game - some rule questions. Reply with quote

Hi,

First, thanks for this great game. I really like this take on the hobby - I felt right at home and could not help but to think "finally, a system that recognise common sense is a better mental faculty around wich to build a game than memory!" I have been looking for such a modern take on "old school" gaming for quite some time now in order to use my old Birthright stuff, and after reading a lot of new systems and retro-clones, I think Wayfarers will be perfect for this, as it will plug in perfectly well into this gritty AD&D setting. Even the difference between Hedge and Hermetic magic seems custom made for Birthright!

Anyway, I still have a some questions after a first reading.

1) What with the "delay" initiative rule? Seems the only reason to delay would be to interrupt a spellcaster, but you can only delay to 0... why not permit to delay to any score between your roll and 0. As this only apply to the the highest score anyway, it don't seem broken and actually give you a good reason to invest in initiative boosts. Else, it seems to me choosing to delay is quite useless unless a spellcaster just happens to be in the middle of casting while the counter reach 0. Am I missing something?

2) Why is detecting traps tied to perception and not search?

3) How do you disable traps?

4) Why is there no examples of traps in the book.? A simple guideline, as with poisons, would had been very usefull. In fact, I don't use traps that much, but it seems so characteristic of the genre I felt something was missing after reading the perception skill's description and seeing traps refered there but nowhere else in the books.

5) Is there any point to Magical resistance? For the same amount of skill points, you can boost both your mental and physical resistance against all attacks, and not only spells. I mean, I guess it lets you boost them more quickly, as you can buy a rank of mental, physical AND magical resistance each new level, but it seems a little bit of a redundancy.

Those are very minor quibbles all in all as the system is very elegant, seems well very designed and there is a feeling that a lot of love for the hobby went into making this game.

I hope to play it very soon!

Z
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought the game - some rule questions. Reply with quote

Welcome, Zorglub. Glad you like the game.

Zorglub wrote:
Anyway, I still have a some questions after a first reading.

1) What with the "delay" initiative rule? Seems the only reason to delay would be to interrupt a spellcaster, but you can only delay to 0... why not permit to delay to any score between your roll and 0. As this only apply to the the highest score anyway, it don't seem broken and actually give you a good reason to invest in initiative boosts. Else, it seems to me choosing to delay is quite useless unless a spellcaster just happens to be in the middle of casting while the counter reach 0. Am I missing something?

Not missing much. However, in addition to interrupting spellcasting, sometimes it's just useful to see what unfolds within a combat. Ex: Will my buddy finish off the wolf? Should I attack, or will someone need healing? -It can give some tactical edge at times as well.

As for the 0 rule, it mostly reflects a lack of precision in planning initiatives. Although I wanted to further reward the highest initiative with the option to delay, I didn't want it to be so precise that a character might say something like: "I want to attack after his sword swing, but before her spell."

As you mention, allowing for a called initiative probably won't break things. So if it bugs you enough, I think it'd work as an alternative.

Quote:
2) Why is detecting traps tied to perception and not search?

They both can be used, just in different ways. Perception might enable a PC to notice a trip-wire or the seam of a floor trap as he is walking down a corridor. However, Search would not reveal these unless the character actively searched the corridor.

Quote:
3) How do you disable traps?

Generally an Engineering check. Engineering to build them, and to disarm them.

Quote:
4) Why is there no examples of traps in the book.? A simple guideline, as with poisons, would had been very usefull. In fact, I don't use traps that much, but it seems so characteristic of the genre I felt something was missing after reading the perception skill's description and seeing traps refered there but nowhere else in the books.

I suppose for a couple of reasons. Like you, we've typically used traps sparingly, and I'd argue that there are actually a limited number of instances where traps might be placed. Just my personal tastes, but IMO they are often used in ways that break verisimilitude. As a result, I'd find it odd that a significant number of people would specifically train in detecting them and disarming them. I agree, it's an old school characteristic you'd expect to find, but just not one we found necessary enough to add specific mechanics for. But yeah, an example might have been helpful.

Quote:
5) Is there any point to Magical resistance? For the same amount of skill points, you can boost both your mental and physical resistance against all attacks, and not only spells. I mean, I guess it lets you boost them more quickly, as you can buy a rank of mental, physical AND magical resistance each new level, but it seems a little bit of a redundancy.

Yes some redundancy there. But you've got it, it's an avenue to boost resistance more quickly, and adds just a tad of flexibility. If you have 3 pts to spend, instead of getting Mental and Physical Resist with 1 pt left, you could get Mental plus Magic Resistance.

Quote:
Those are very minor quibbles all in all as the system is very elegant, seems well very designed and there is a feeling that a lot of love for the hobby went into making this game.

I hope to play it very soon!

Z

Thanks! definitely let us know what you think!
Zorglub
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick awnsers!

Yes, Engineering fits the bill quite nicely for disabling traps. Wilderness lore, rope use or a trade skill could also do the trick in some cases. I guess I'll make a call depending on the situation.

I also guess I'll have to tie magic traps to Magic Acuity for spotting them, and to Dweomercraft for disabling them.

Also I think I will permit the character with the highest initiative score to choose between ONE of the following options:

1) acting first
2) calling a trigerred action (IF x happens, I do y)
3) delaying to 0.

So if the condition for the triggered action is not met, the character looses his round. Seems better balanced this way - there is alway the possibility the mage won't cast, so in this case he'll just spend his round "delaying" the mage - seems a fair trade and not as powerfull as always being able to interrupt. It will also make the players more involved, as they won't feel the possibility for an interrupt if you go first is totally random.

As this choice will involves just one character each round, I don't think it will make combats more tedious to run.

Anyway, now that I begin to appreciate the flexibility of the system, I'll need to read all those spells and magic items in order to get a good feel of the game, but the more I read and picture scenarios in my mind, the more I feel this is almost the perfect game for my GMing style.

I'm really pleased to finally (after 2 years of exploration) have found this game. Not to mention having the designer awnser my questions in person!

I had the Pdfs printed and bound because, sadly, the cost to get the two printed books in Canada is way to high when you take into account the shipping fees at Mongoose. (Almost a 100 CAD) But if a get a lot of use out of the PDFs, I may well shell the money to get the paper version in a while.

Again, thanks for this beatifull game!

Edit: I started a thread about the initiative rules in the Guild forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: