Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Improved Dodge, cost and the new edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rei Malebario
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Improved Dodge, cost and the new edition Reply with quote

Hi, I've noticed that buying Improved Dodge seems to be inordinately expensive compared to just buying better Agility.

As near as I can tell, buying a rank of Improved Dodgr doesn't give you any benefit that you wouldn't also get with a point more in Agility and at rank 2 is clearly more expensive.

Have I missed something, is it a typo that should have been corrected or is it changed in the new edition?
Ars Mysteriorum
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one key thing I believe you've missed is that you habe to buy an attribute twice (unless you're starting at an odd number) in order to get a bonus. Also, you could buy up your agility AND improve Dodge if you so wish. I think a higher cost makes the latter option less game-breaking if someone so chooses to go that route.

Furthermore, stats cap out at 20. At high levels, perhaps monsieur rogue w/ 20 AGL would like to continue being less hittable just as much as senor warrior wants to hit things better with levels of weapon mastery and increased accuracy.

All-in-all, I'd say what's there works!
Rei Malebario
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I got that bit right. Your Dodge score is equal to your Agility, according to the book, so a 1-point increase in Agility also gives a 1-point increase in Dodge.

So even increasing Agility from a 19 to a nigh-superhuman 20 will cost less than getting that second rank of Improved Dodge and give much better benefits.

And at a more normal Agility, an extra point may cost less than even the first rank of Improved Dodge (and again: be apparently much more beneficial).

As near as I can tell, Improved Dodge only really becomes worthwhile once your Agility is maxed out. Unless the cost is changed in the new edition or there's some other benefit to Improved Dodge that I've missed.

But if I haven't missed anything, I think somewhere along half the cost of buying up Agility per rank would be a more reasonable cost - so perhaps about 3 per rank.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rei, you are right that grade II Improved Dodge is not a good buy, except for characters that have maxed Agility.

Even in the original version, it was the intent that Improved Dodge was something that became prohibitively expensive. In that version, Improved Dodge II cost 16 pts., which also was only a reasonable buy for a character with a 20 Agility (Raising Agility from 19 to 20 cost 15pts).

Increasing Dodge has a very significant impact upon play, and having two relatively open avenues (Agility and Improved Dodge) raised issues in the original playtests; aggressively increasing Dodge became too good to pass up for characters, and became a more-or-less de facto spend.

As a result, in many ways it became a question of 1) not having Improved Dodge at all, 2) allowing Improved Dodge to only be bought once, or 3) leaving some option for very high level development. We went with #3.

That said, if you want to try 3 x grade, feel free to do so. I think the difference will be that most characters will Improve Dodge twice, rather than once. Let me know if you do, and if you think it works out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: