Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Magic item creation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Magic item creation Reply with quote

I know that the rules on this subject are only guidelines to be modified at the GM's discretion but I would like other players' input on the following idea.

Since item creation is already pretty arduous and expensive, in your experience, would it be unbalancing to ignore the Inscribe, Alchemy, Enchant, Artifact, Holy Relic spells and simply allow spellcasters with Dweomercraft (or favored by their deity in the case of relics) to create magic items at any given skill level, as long as they can cast the required spells, put in the time, resources and succeed at their proficiency check.

I'm asking because the 5th spell Circle sounds like a long way to go to scribe a scroll but, then again, I sure don't want to flood my campaign with magic items.

MX
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, sounds good. One idea is that a caster can make anything, it's just that these items are temporary (perhaps lasting one day per Circle or level), and can only be used by the creators themselves.

Then, the effects of spells like Alchemy and Enchant is to make these items permanent and usable by anyone.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have separated magic creation into 3 categories.

Forge Magic

Craft Magic

Artifacts/Relics/unmade things.

Artifacts are a long story, but they don't really radiate magic, and you would normally see them result in a huge influx of magical powers. They may be magic items in and of themselves, but they don't need to be.

Mostly, Artifacts exist in multiple places. In short they are Platonic. Valhonessa's Shame is a knife in my campaign that was made by a Queen who was given a cursed knife that whispered lies into her ear until she killed her husband. When she did that the item became an artifact. Most artifacts in my game have motives.

Forge magic is for making things that a permanently magical. Like swords, armor, anything not "charged".

Craft magic is for potions and the whatnot.

Costs and obstacles to making magic items is very much a question of how much magic is in the game. Greg and Jimmy like very low magic worlds, and I think the system shows that.

I think something simple like paying for "magical" paper and having to dump a spell of the level scroll you want to cast for a number of days equal to the level of the spell is fair. Then roll craft magic target number 10+level of the spell.

I would suggest that special attacks to stop potion drinking, or targeting items would be a good special attack.

You can reduce the use of magic items in combat situations, if you do things like make people rummage around in their backpack, or when they fall down roll to see if they broke their potions.

Sure people will soon keep their potions in metal, or get a beer hat. These things happen and should happen. A magic low world seems to be a way to address potential abuses, but I think a better way would be to look at mechanics, what is happening, and take steps with combat mechanics to make potions and the like less useful.

Things I have asked people running Dungeons and Dragons games are similar to: "What level spell would it be to cast a spell and be granted the powers of some potions in my possession?" or "What level spell would activate multiple wands?" You could easily gain multiple arms if it is simply a question of arms, and one could have a spell like haste that only affects wand use. So really I'm asking what is it to use a wand, or take a potion. This I think should affect the question of what it takes to make those things.

Part of the problem with a High Magic world is that the world seems so much harder to make real, without doing all the standard stuff like airships, portals all over, and fancy lights.

If you could build a gate easily they would probably be everywhere. How about magical transportation? I mentioned airships before, because I think they are cool, and silly. I doubt airships would be the way it would go, and a railroad, or maglev, or linked boxes would be more likely.

K, I've said way to much.

I'll see what others might want to throw in.

5th circle is way too long to wait for a scroll. I do think that Greg is onto something with making items that can only be used by certain people.

I think a scroll of a 5th circle mage spell, that could be used by a person who doesn't know the spell, is different from a 5th circle mage scroll being used by a 5th circle mage, who knows the spell.

Hey M, how would you punctuate the orange sentence?

mEoW
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Greyfaced, is that a quiz? If so, please be lenient as English isn't my first language. I would change the sentence's formulation to : "I think a 5th Circle mage scroll used by a person who doesn't know the spell is different than if used by a mage who knows the spell." and avoid the punctuation altogether... Wink
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problems with grammar, and you seem to have a keen eye; so I thought I'd ask.

I feel so ashamed, this is my mother tongue, and I suck at it in written form. Congrats to you for doing so well with English!

It can be a quiz if you like. Very Happy
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyfaced, there is nothing to be ashamed of. As a matter of fact, I think these boards host high quality discussions. Cool

I think I'll go with a compromise and keep the Inscribe, Alchemy, Enchantment, Artifact, Relic spells but change their Circles a bit. Inscribe would become 2nd Hermetic/1st Hedge, Alchemy would become 4th Hermetic/3rd Hedge, Enchantment would become 6th hermetic and Artifact would stay 8th Hermetic. Relic spells would also stay 8th Faith.

What do you guys think?
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Hermetic/Hedge Circle dissociation you're proposing Metathiax. After all, in the mainstream narrative, that's what Hedge Magic was invented for.

My games sort of evolved to exclude the middle, i.e., Crafts and Artifacts but no Forged items, to use Grayfaced's terms. I just sort of gave up on having the PCs fight like ten 10th level King's Guards each with +1 Plate and a +2 Sword. Mostly the PCs at high level ended up with a bunch of potions and a few pieces of magical jewelry, but even a goddamn +1 Sword had like a first and last name, a Social Security number, and some crazy conspiracy theory it believed itself central in.

Are you working on a world Metathiax? I'd be interested in the details, as would others here I'm sure.
Metathiax
Demiurge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you working on a world Metathiax? I'd be interested in the details, as would others here I'm sure.

Actually Greg, I intend to shamelessly pillage ideas from yours. Wink

Since I've discovered Wayfarers from Ars Mysteriorum's forum signature down at RPG.net last month, I've read through the book a few times, allowed the system to sink in and tweaked it slightly to make it my own.

I'm now working on the conversion of a series of Castles & Crusades adventure modules. I will soon share the results for the first entry of the campaign which is available as a free download.

Sadly, real life (i.e. work) is simply keeping me too busy to create a campaign from scratch... Sad
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the download goes up, let us know where it is at.

I'd read it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: