Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Moving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Table-talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Moving Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of moving right now, so updates will be a little sparse. I should be back to posting regularly by about Monday.

I'm heading out to Dayton, Ohio. Swill, I thinks that's closer to your neighborhood?

Great posting so far and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that is almost close enough for gaming. We need a spot in Findlay OH. Huh. Maybe some day I could run a game here: http://www.duelgrnds.com/

Good luck with the move.

BTW, what brings you to Dayton?
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Moving- packing and unpacking at least- always sort of blows.

But yeah, why Dayton?
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaming could be fun near Sandusky someday....

Good luck moving Moth. I own so few things, it's no biggie for me, but I have helped friends move who own way too many books.

You aren't that kind of guy are you?

Books are so heavy, and flammable. Why move them?

I hope you find something cool that was lost. That is a nice thing about moving is seeing what you have.

May you gain a Strength point.
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm moving to Dayton because I have friends and family around there, and housing is affordable. I hear good things about the job market there for college grads.

I haven't been able to find a job in Virginia. That is, other than working at a deli full time, which I've been doing for the past year+. It seems to be a problem for liberal arts majors around here. Plus housing here is terribly expensive.

I might not stay in Dayton for more than a year. A lot of things are up in the air at this point. I've never really lived on my own before.

The Dueling Grounds sounds hardcore. We should definitely run a game there.

Yeah, I do own too many books. I meander from book to book and take my time, so I rack up too many fees borrowing from libraries. I don't like the idea of e-books. I'm only taking books I haven't read yet, so it's probably not enough to get that strength point.
Rex
Strategoi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stationed at Wright Patterson Air Force Base for 8 years. Made good friends there civilian and military. My son has grand parents an aunt and 2 uncles in the area too. Spent alot of time at Tanks Bar and Grill on Wayne Ave.
Good Luck on the job hunting!
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moth, you should consider looking for jobs in Ann Arbor. I know a few people with liberal arts degrees working for publishers and such. It's a great town too.

I'll keep my eyes/ears open for you. What kind of work are you into? I recently came across a couple of guys in town looking for writers for an economic editorial content service.

Chicago might be good too. More expensive, but more opportunities.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I put in my deli time as well. Nice thing there was eating for free.

I like libraries and e-books in principle, for other people. By which I mean I'm glad those options are available, but for me, no thanks. I'm with ya Moth- I own five shelves of books, down from six.5 after negotiating with the girlfriend when we moved. I've tried reading books on kindle- I can't do it. All the time I want to go back to a particular page, or read some section over, and I appreciate the immediacy of the physical object that is actually in the room.

Plus, a book serves as an embodied memory for me of places I was and times in my life when I read it. That may not be true for everyone, but great- let those people use the kindle.

Anyway, moving books sucks. I've heard Virginia is one of the most expensive parts of the country. Ohio should be better!
Salmonid
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Moth, congratulations on the move. Good luck up there in the Ohio state!
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandusky.......

I think books are good. I just hate moving them.

I have sold and given away too many books. There are definitely books I miss.

The rest.....burn.

I can't wait to be done done done with school so I can have a book burning.
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here I am.

Swill- I'm not really sure what I want to do for a career. I think I'd be into anything that would involve working at a desk. Most of my work experience is in a library. I'd never considered publishing before, but that is a very interesting thought. I have a B.A. in philosophy if that matters. Please let me know if you hear of anything.

Moving books wasn't too bad. Right now, I have all of mine on a shelf in my closet. It's space efficient and they look good. Still, if I dare to take one down and read it, others will fall over. I wish I had remembered to pack my bookends. Oh well.

Time to unpack/fill out applications/update DiD
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I will keep an eye out for desk jobs. Seriously.

I just started a new book: "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman. It's about the lead-up and beginning of WWI. It won the Pulitzer in 1963, and I guess JFK gave it to everyone he met.

Hope Dayton treats you well. How's the apartment?
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Midwest! Seriously, good luck with the job search. Glad to see you back here Moth.
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Swill, that's super cool of you.

I'm living in a house with three other guys, a grad student and two undergrads. One of the undergrads is a close friend of mine. It's not anything fancy, but I've got a pretty nice room.

I've put out a few applications, haven't heard anything back yet.

Before I moved I was reading "Angle of Repose" by Wallace Stegner (also a Pulitzer winner) and Bret Easton Ellis' "American Psycho." I also started reading "Viriconium" by M. John Harris. I don't usually read multiple books at a time, but it happens when one is kind of a drag- Angle of Repose is great, but it's also really long, so I start wanting to read other stuff.

Thanks and cheers, everyone.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

If you are ever in the mood for sword and sorcery reading that doesn't suck, try the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust.

If you feel so inclined, I would recommend reading them in their published order, not their chronological.

I think some of the groupings of those works are published in chronological order.

Anywho....welcome to your new town.

Granted, it's not great literature or something, but it is better than Harry Potter.

Ask Swill about having a room to yourself....or a wall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Table-talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: