Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Jimmy's TPK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Jimmy's TPK Reply with quote

Yes, I just killed a fledgling party. It was a surprise for all.

I don't have much time. Details tomorrow.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude.

You INVENTED the game.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is the story: Yesterday we had three players. The characters were: Ferris (a half-elf fighter-type, played by Morgannon), Bullman (a human fighter-type), and Petrus (Ferrisí brother, and Ixian priest).

The three were from Cevrance, however that mattered very little yesterday. The adventure began with the three awaking in the dark, inside metallic tanks in a room filling with water. (Ok, a bit rough Smile) What the players did not know, was that it was about 300 years since they had been kidnapped and sold to a mad alchemist, who had placed them inside the chambers. For this lab, I used a variation of the Laboratory of Bertolus Frye, and the three PCs awoke in a room 50í below the small storage room #8. Two Fuath exploring the lab had caused the flooding, and broke the stasis holding the PCs.

The players each made a Mental Resistance check, which I used as a gauge of how well they came to after being released from stasis. Ferris rolled high, and as a result, he knew his name and who he was, but he could not recall how he had gotten in this situation. Bullman rolled poorly, and Petrus got a 1. I decided that Petrus didnít know who he was, and it was going to be a while before he remembered that he was a priest at all.

Before the room flooded completely, Bullman broke out of his chamber and helped the other two out of theirs. In the dark and in rising water, they found a long iron bar and a fire poker. Ferris found a Potion of Antidote, but of course, he didnít know what it was. They were dressed in linen robes. Ferris located some rungs set into the stone wall, and they ascended about 50í into the small storage room. Here they found some grease in an open barrel, and then stumbled into the adjoining lab. After some searching, Petrus got a lamp burning and found a knife. The three searched the room pretty well, and peered into the grate below, which was under a large stone table.

Ferris then walked out into the hallway, and was quickly chased back into the room by the metallic spider golem. The spider was the same as in WGJ2, but here its Dodge was 12 instead of 15. The three decided to fight it out in the lab, and between metal bars and some burning oil, dropped the spider to 10 of its 30 Health Points. Unfortunately, we were playing with critical fumbles, and I think each PC fumbled at least once on the spider. Soon Ferris, then Bullman went down, both unconscious, but not dead. Ferris was lucky, because even at 1 Health Point, he decided to keep fighting against the golem. Left with a knife, but unwounded, Petrus decided that he couldnít beat the spider alone. He dashed back into the storage room, was cut by the spider for 5 as he ran, and then took 2 more points as he failed an Acrobatics check and fell into the water below. Petrus had only slid under the trap door, however, and the spider was left up top.

The water had risen halfway up the 3í diameter tunnel, leading up from the room below. Petrus did not have the swimming proficiency, and although he could have pulled himself down into the room along the ladder rungs, he decided it was too dangerous to search the flooded room. Above, the spider was constantly tapping on the trap door. Petrus did find a wooden bowl floating beside him. After some time he wedged the wooden bowl under the door, however he was in the dark. He stuck his knife out, and the spider on top stabbed at it. Feeling trapped, Petrus decided to rest as best he could in the circumstances. He did, and I allowed him a new Mental Resistance check to throw off the fog of the stasis. He rolled a 13. I had decided a 15 would give him a spell back, and here I decided that he had reconnected with Ix, but that he didnít yet feel empowered. I told him that he felt he had been away from his God for a long time. At the same time, Bullman awoke, as he was able to regain 1 HP. And then it happened.

Using Acrobatics and Stealth, Bullman jumped to his feet and slammed the storage room door closed on the spider. The spider turned to the door, but with his 16 Strength, Bullman was able to hold it closed. However, as Bullman and the spider pushed on the door, Petrus climbed up and tried to stab the spider. He missed badly. The Spider turned back on him, beat him for initiative, and hit Petrus twice, killing him. Feeling the door free, Bullman attacked the spider and missed badly. The spider turned, beat Bullman for initiative, hit him twice, and killed him.

I rolled everything in the open. Thatís how I roll.

Looking back, I regret not giving Petrus a spell in such a time of need. However, I have to say that I didnít expect that Bullman and Petrus would just face off against the spider so soon. I also thought that Petrus might search the flooded room below, where he could have found some more useful tools.

Even so, I was rolling very well yesterday, and the players were not. The PCs were to find their equipment in the adjoining room (#10), but they never tried that door.

Despite the situation, we did have a good time, and we are going to play again soon. I guess the upside is that the players now know that PCs can die in Jimmy Swillís Twylos. But, I donít see it as an accomplishment. Even so, death happens, and I think that matters. It is just particularly unfortunate when it happens to everyone at once.

Last edited by JimmySwill on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory Vrill wrote:
Dude.

You INVENTED the game.

Yes, but the rules don't address sending amnesiacs in bath robes with fire-pokers against a metal spider golem.

That was new territory.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling in the open is no excuse! UR PLAYERZ STINK.

Still, given the startup? Dude, regardless of whether they make new guys or not, run them in exactly the same setup next time. What a mindfuck. Actually it's great that they all died now that I think about it.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory Vrill wrote:
Still, given the startup? Dude, regardless of whether they make new guys or not, run them in exactly the same setup next time. What a mindfuck. Actually it's great that they all died now that I think about it.

That's a funny, yet good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: