Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Jimmy's Twylos Campaign Journal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Jimmy's Twylos Campaign Journal Reply with quote

Yesterday we had a gaming session with a new group. We intend to have more sessions, however due to our schedules I don't expect us to be able to do so more than once a month. Nevertheless, I'll keep a campaign journal and update them as the campaign continues. I ran the game, and we had 4 players, one of whom was Morgannon. Two of our players hadn't played an RPG in years, and one had never played before. Here was the party roster:

Ahim: A Couverton local. A quiet athletic guy, who simply signed on with the Surveyors for some work.
Sam(antha): Yep. A gender-bending fop and a Couverton personality. Once a tax agent, Sam was representing the wrong family at the wrong time. He was enslaved for a couple of years, and is working off the last of his 'community service' with the Surveyors Guild.
Lucian: An old-blooded Verlainan from a family of some means. Generations ago Lucian's ancestors lost in a struggle with the Mendhelose family of Tarach, and he finds some consolation in the recent ursupation of the Mendhelose by Lord Belvaunt. Lucian recently received Hermetic training from the Alchemists guild in Mask and apparently has been struck by wanderlust.
William: A very bright but very ugly orc. William somehow managed to get an education in Hedge magic, was enslaved, and was recently freed. He's been working a bit for the Surveyors and recently got his hands on a new spellbook.

The party began in the employ of the Surveyors and had a two-part job. The first was to accompany Journeyman Yann Markov along the Vehrland Ocean Road to Mask, simply providing security for a small caravan and a local mail carrier named Gunther. The trip went smoothly and they stayed an uneventful night in Mask at The Painted Face, a local inn and place of entertainment. Samantha had a wonderful time.

The next morning the group reunited and Gunther was back, accompanied by a small wiry man dressed in nice powdery pink clothes and spectacles named Milton Riley. Lucian recognized Milton as a local, but couldn't get much meaningful information out of him. Yann informed the crew that they'd see Milton and Gunther halfway back to Couverton, but then depart to the north where they were to complete the second part of their job: to inspect something of interest that was reportedly found on a track of land newly purchased by a client in Mask. The party had previously pressed Yann about this 'thing of interest', but Yann either didn't know much or didn't care to share. Off they went.

Although they encountered a number of travelers on the Ocean road, the party was surprised to pass a small group of Handmaidens on their third day out. They decided it was a bad sign. Two days later at about noon, Milton was shot by an by an arrow. Yann and Will quickly spotted some figures in the tree-line about 150' off the road. Thinking fast, William cast a Shimmering Wall just to the side of their cart. A couple more arrows fell but no one was hit. Lucian checked Milton, who was alive, but badly hurt. Gunther hid under the cart. Sam ran down to the river bank on the opposite side of the road, and under cover scurried far to their front. A few moments of silence followed. Will then used Lucian's spyglass to peer around his Shimmering Wall and immediately saw a figure taking a position to the front of them, getting an angle around the wall. A couple arrows fell, Yann shot his crossbow ineffectively, and Will rushed the bandit who was joined by another. Sam waylaid one of these and was soon followed by Ahim, who followed his lead. Will, Sam, Ahim, and eventually Markov, made quick work of these two. One was dropped quickly, and the second retreated, only to be tackled by Sam and Will not far into the woods. In the meantime, a third bandit sprinted towards the cart, broke through the wall and badly stumbled while trying to attack Milton, who Lucian had put atop the cart. Realizing Milton was the target, Lucian cast darkness on the cart. The next round Lucian managed to heave Milton off of the cart, and out of the darkness towards the riverbank. However, unfortunately the bandit managed to chop into Milton as he did so. In the next few rounds, Ahim and Yann returned, and tried to kill the bandit that stumbled out of the darkness and got another hit on the already dead Milton. Ahim wounded the bandit and he split. The bandit was fast, but so was Ahim. After some contested running checks, Ahim got close enough for a back attack with his two short swords. To his surprise, Ahim rolled two natural 1's. He wiffed, tumbled head-over-heels, and the bandit escaped.

After this episode, the party lead their darkened wagon a distance up the road and regrouped. They tied up their two prisoners and loaded them on the cart along with Milton's wrapped body. Lucian and Gunther searched Milton and found a scrollcase, that was sealed with the insignia of a family of Vesbridge (the name escapes me at the moment). Despite Gunther and Yann's request, Will opened the case and revealed a finger bone, wearing a featureless black ring. It gave him a bad feeling and he put it back. Over the next couple of days the party interrogated their prisoners Drennis and Dougal (thanks Moth), and found them to be a bit dim. Dougal seemed to think he was in with a group called The Shattered Glass, but Drennis only scoffed at him. Dougal insited he was, and that he had even drank a beer with Randal Meeks, who 'F'n WAS the Shattered Glass'. The party and Yann decided they'd drop the prisoners off with the first slavers they saw. Unfortunately, they didn't encounter any slavers and when they reached the bridge towards their next destination, they let the two go, still bound together but able to walk. Gunther was a bit hesitant to continue on alone and asked to join them on their survey. Yann and the party agreed.

We called it a day at this point. Character creation had taken a chunk of our time, primarily due to chatting, indecision, getting pizza and beer, and as three of the players had never played the game before. However, the party worked really well together and everyone had a great time. Considering that three of the players had never even met before, things actually went very well both in and out of game. If I had any regrets, it was that my bandits were dispatched too easily. The fact that my rolls were consistently terrible didn't help. I'm thinking the survey will be a bit more dangerous. The party doesn't have any Faith Magic, and no one took the healing proficiency. Hmm.
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.

I like Lucian's thinking with the "Cart of Darkness."

Morgannon and D Crux are one and the same, no? Same guy who played Threnody and a certain Fist of Odin?

Sounds like you guys had a good time, interested to see how this develops.

Ah, Drennis. Eeeeverybody hates Drennis!

Regular human mooks have a rough time of it in every game. I'm looking forward to hearing what the party finds during this "survey"...
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgannon is not DCrux. Morgannon is another guy from back in the days. If I'm not mistaked Morgannon was probably the main sounding board for the game, so expect some possible changes to the game to come out of this campaign...

I'm betting Morgannon is playing Ahim.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very interested to hear from the players who have never played before. If you could let me know what they think after a few sessions I'd be very happy.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way, Morgannon has to be Lucian. Spyglass? "Lucian"? That's him all the way.

He played- eh, I forget, the thief in the first DiD. Dropped out about 1/3 the way into it, didn't play in the second DiD.

Swill, awesome. It completely, absolutely blows my mind that you're playing in Twylos. Can't believe I'm not there. No healing is completely awesome, but good luck keeping 'em alive. Better to err on the side of too easy, and you'll find your way towards just-hard-enough.

Trust me. Players almost WANT to die. They'll find a way to make it challenging.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my second bet, but I mean sneaking around and backstabbing? Very Morgannnon. He was often wandering around while we fought, looking for "position".

Lucian is a good bet, but it could have been another player who really got into background, while Morgannon came up with something weird, and it's not in the character description given here....

Plus, Morgannon would never let anyone use his spyglass....
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Moth, Morgannon was Cinder the Thief of the first DiD campaign. I think your paths crossed for a short time.

Greg and Greyfaced, you both got it wrong. Good guesses, but Morgannon was Will the ugly Orc. Yeah, Hedge Magic surprised me too. It will be interesting to see how this develops. Ahim's player called me last night to make sure I knew that he and Lucian wanted to play again. Ahim had never played before. -That was nice to hear, and I am sure we will.

It is cool to play in Twylos, Greg. There's so much there to grab from, it really makes my job much easier. The guys were kind of blown away at the depth of information that was available regarding local happenings and major religions. No doubt I'll stray, but that's part of the fun. I was thinking on that no-healing thing. We'll see how that pans out. I forgot to mention that Will and Lucian cast Enchant Armor and Magic Vestment on themselves during the combat. -That worked out very well for Will. Next time there will be blood.

I'll try to get some specific player feedback up here, Greyfaced. I'll also add these PCs to the Hall of NPCs as time permits.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the second session?

Oh, and can you talk to Moth about getting his campaign summary public? I think a campaigns section would be a good forum addition.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyfaced wrote:
Where is the second session?

Oh, and can you talk to Moth about getting his campaign summary public? I think a campaigns section would be a good forum addition.

We are currently scheduling it. One of our players is in the UK part-time, and a bundle of other things delayed us. A campaign thread is a good idea, maybe I'll start it with the second session.

Greg, DCrux, Morgannon and I have a one-shot coming up. I think Greg is running. -I'll get him to post it.
Master Thomas Anopheles
Strategoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Greg, DCrux, Morgannon and I have a one-shot coming up. I think Greg is running. -I'll get him to post it.

Wait, what? This is like a scene from some sitcom where it's like "Hey Josh, good luck with your student council presidential election speech in an hour" and Josh is all like "Whaa? What election?"

Don't forget that, last we left Greg Vrill, he had suffered traumatic brain injury. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

IS IT?

But maybe. Still, I thought you were running it Swill.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran last time. -I pass the Mic to M.C. Vrill.
Master Thomas Anopheles
Strategoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I can do this, but since character creation always takes f-in forever, how about you EXPERT GAMERS do something novel and make your dudes in advance?

So it's me, you, Dave, and Ed huh? Okay. I'll post the adventure hook soon enough and email all y'all. Make Ed make his guy, or just use any character you've got hanging around. 1st level of course.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Thomas Anopheles wrote:
Alright, I can do this, but since character creation always takes f-in forever

Correction: Ed's character creation takes f-in forever. Smile He makes one-shot characters like he is going to play them for 5 years. And I have parry and a rapier because my great uncle, who was a...

BTW don't forget Stamps will be in there too. Maybe Mike.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebooting with my group on Sunday. I'll post details here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: