Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Fallout 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that Vrill will have something for you, Charakan. Sounds like a great setting.

Ah, we once played Shadowrun Detroit. Memories.
Charakan
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should add I'm looking for grim and gritty stuff rather then gonzo over the top like stuff like Darwin's World or Gamma World.

Got to say I love your forum avatar picture Jimmy.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good stuff is hard to find. That's why Fallout 3 was so refreshing.

In terms of games, nothing yet really matches it, although Bioshock has a similar sort of retro-future style and paranoid feel about it. You can sometimes get an analogous bleak feeling out of some of the Japanese console RPGs- they're to my taste, but not to others. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII and X are about half-destroyed worlds, about to be destroyed again.

Borderlands? Haven't played it myself though. And haven't played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. either.

You probably aren't looking for text adventures, but you might read about Trinity at least:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_%28video_game%29

and A Mind Forever Voyaging:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mind_Forever_Voyaging

A friend of mine was telling me about a book he read recently with a similar setting as the one you described- post-apocalypse in the London underground, can't remember the name though.

The best fucked-future book I've read in a long time is The Windup Girl, but I haven't quite finished it yet. Stephenson's Anathem was okay, but fell apart a bit at the end... hopefully the same won't happen to Windup Girl, which is Neuromancer if the apocalypse is biotech rather than cyberspace.

The classic books are Canticle for Lebowitz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz

and Riddley Walker:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riddley_Walker

and V for Vendetta, which probably doesn't need an introduction. The graphic novel, not the movie.

As far as movies go, The Quiet Earth messed with my head when I was younger, but I haven't seen it since I was 12 so I can't say if it holds up. I remember it being better than I Am Legend. Same sort of 'last man on earth' thing though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quiet_Earth_%28film%29

Logan's Run is campy, but has a few scenes (the cryogenics bot) that stand out.

Blade Runner, like Wasteland, is must-experience background.

A Boy and His Dog apparently is good, but haven't seen it. If you're going to be running a game, I'd read some Harlan Ellison. Deathbird Chronicles is good, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is great.

Other great movies: Brazil, the first 30 minutes of Children of Men, Handmaid's Tale, Delicatessen and the compelling, weird follow-up The City of Lost Children. City of Lost Children is sort of a movie version of Fallout, if made by a French artist (which it was). 12 Monkeys is surprisingly good. 28 Days Later is great.

The Island, Gattaca, Akira, and Dark City all have interesting ideas, if the execution ain't great. Same for the TV shows The Prisoner, Dark Angel and Lost.

Anyway, hope this helps, and you find at least one or two useful ideas in there. Nothing's perfect, but that's almost the point...
Charakan
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

I'm playing Borderlands at the moment and while its fun its a bit to much like an MMO, I'm actually having to grind beasties in order to level up enough to do my next mission, I thought I'd given that up when I quit EQ2 and the like.

Going to get a copy of a Canticle for Leibowitz as funds allow, just read the Wikipedia entry and it looks brilliant.

I've seen A Boy and His Dog years a go on TV during a Sci Fi season and really enjoyed it.

Riddley Walker looks bloody good too.

I actually rented the Quiet Earth many years ago, but until I saw the cover didn't recognise the title, it was really enjoyable.

Appreciated Very Happy .
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Vrill might be able to lend some advice. He's my goto guy when it comes to post-apocalyptic issues.

Always wondered if there was any connection between this and that 'project' he's been working on for the last several years...
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, enjoy. Seriously, while I don't know if a poor ending is going to spoil it, Windup Girl is some of the best post-apoc science fiction- best fiction, really- I've read lately.

(And Swill, come on now. My research is about love and hope, making the world a better place and averting global apocalypse. It's weird to put it like that, and to say this in all seriousness, but that's basically how I see it. Some of the other postdocs here have started calling me 'Dr. Love'.)
Charakan
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought these links might be of interest they were given to me in a similar thread I made on the Mongoose Traveller boards relating to my idea about doing a gritty Post Apoc game using MGT.

http://www.postnukecomic.com/comic.php

http://www.blastwave-comic.com/

http://www.romanticallyapocalyptic.com/home?page=21
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charakan.

Gregory Vrill wrote:
Some of the other postdocs here have started calling me 'Dr. Love'.)

That's it, -I'm building a bunker.
Charakan
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read a reiew of Windup Girl on Amazon and it seems really interesting looks like I'm going to be putting in a large order at the end of the month.

The novel that Metro 2033 is based on (it has the same title) has given me an interest in Russian science fiction. Decided to pick it up along with a Roadside Picnic the novel that influenced the S.T.A.L.K.E.R video game.

I'll let you know what I think of Metro 2033 when I get it.

Last edited by Charakan on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charakan, I'll be interested to hear your opinion of it.

By the way, if you picked up a copy of Wayfarers Guild Journal, I started revamping Twylos into sort of a post-apocalyptic variant of itself- meant to do it all along based on a short-lived campaign I ran years ago, but playing Fallout 3 was the proximal inspiration.

Although that's a post-apoc fantasy campaign. Wayfarers doesn't (yet) have a ton of support for the kind of thing you want to do... there's no reason why you couldn't modify the system, or any system, just by adding the right skills, but it might be a pain in the ass relative to something like Traveler.
Charakan
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayfarers looks extremely flexible and ripe for modding it was one of the things that attracted me to it when I read the preview. Wayfarers is a lovely hybrid of old school and new school.

I'm going to wait until the end of the month when I get paid (things being what they are in the english economy I don't want to break into my savings or run up to much debt) and order a copy from Leisure Games in London if they still have a copy in stock, otherwise I'll have to order a copy from yourselves.

I have a copy of the PDF as I previously mentioned but I struggle to learn the rules from an electronic copy, it may be my age but I pick things up easier from a book plus its nice to relax and read with one. Though I've run a game off a laptop I'm old school enough to prefer a book and a stack of scenario notes.

PDFs are great for reference though when working up a scenario on a computer.

The only fantasy post apocalypse I'm familiar with is Blood Throne though I believe the Pathfinder setting has an asteroid strike in its history.

I'll take a look at the Wayfinders Guild Journal, thanks for the heads up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: