Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLurkerBelow
Strategoi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: questions Reply with quote

Totem the ritual spell - possible to pass it to another? can they activate it?

Animal Form ritual spell - what happens to the gear? magic? do buffs like blood armor and stone skin continue once transformed? I need to know when I switch to greyhound and run away I'm still protected from thos evil archers.

Spell interrupt. The window to interrupt spells is very small. Is it possible for a melee with faster initiative to hold their action and wait on a spell caster, striking them after they see them go into casting motion? assuming they know the person is a caster.

multiple attacks. all attacks come at the same initiative?
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answers!

Quote:
Totem the ritual spell - possible to pass it to another? can they activate it?
No.

Quote:
Animal Form ritual spell - what happens to the gear? magic? do buffs like blood armor and stone skin continue once transformed? I need to know when I switch to greyhound and run away I'm still protected from thos evil archers.
Your gear does not change. It is terribly inconvenient, I know... Buffs will remain, so long as they aren't rendered nonsensical. -The caster basically becomes an animal, but retains his/her mind. If the spell could be cast on that animal, then the effect it will remain for its duration.

Quote:
Spell interrupt. The window to interrupt spells is very small. Is it possible for a melee with faster initiative to hold their action and wait on a spell caster, striking them after they see them go into casting motion? assuming they know the person is a caster.
It'd be great, but no (unless you have the highest initiative, and take the 0 initiative, and then that just happens to work out). Spell interruption is more a inconvenience for casters than it is a strategic opportunity for attackers. Swinging swords and shouting incantations in a life or death struggle is messy, and although you have every reason to want to plan Initiative, your character is living it and simply cannot. Initiative best provides an interpretation of combat action sequence, but it shouldn't be heavily relied on as a literal representation of time, and even less as a basis for strategy. For example, a combat round is about 10 seconds; however three combatants might have initiatives 5,4 and 2 one round, and 10, 3 and 1 the next. It shouldn't be assumed that the time between 5 and 4 is necessarily shorter than 10 and 3. -It best lays out a general sequence of chaotic events. A fighter saying he will wait until a wizard begins to cast to swing his sword is akin to a wizard saying that he will wait until the fighter swings his sword before he casts. No one gets that luxury. Smile

Quote:
multiple attacks. all attacks come at the same initiative?
Yes. Very simple, and yes, just a little odd. -However it's a bit less odd when you see initiative as the approximation I just described. Yet, if your group just loves crunch, you can try additional attacks coming at later initiatives (such as: 0, -5, -10, etc...), but IMO, it's not worth the trouble. And, once you throw movement in there, it is a real hassle. If you give it a shot, let me know. Smile

Hope that helps!
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spell interruption has always been controversial and a pain in the ass.

We used to have a rule that if you went at a high initiative, you can differ and hold off your action until any segment in the round, in hopes of striking a caster and interrupting the spell (although it wasn't *lost*, just not cast, so the caster could try again next round or so).

I liked it, others didn't, it led to a lot of problems, and like any optional rule that has the potential to f*** over a character or slow things down, ultimately it's the PCs who suffer.
TheLurkerBelow
Strategoi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appreciate the responses. thanks.

but i'm gonna be a silly looking greyhound trying to get out from underneath a chain hauberk and a shield. could be interesting Razz
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, might add another thing to shoot for in-game... perhaps you can talk the GM into letting you make or quest for some sotta oil or something that, once applied, lets you morph all your stuff too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: