Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Question about hermetic/hedge spell-casting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimLeCat
Strategoi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Question about hermetic/hedge spell-casting Reply with quote

Hi,

I've read through the rules and looked at this thread

http://yeoldegamingcompanye.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210

and there is still one point I'm not clear on - do hermetic and hedge spell casters forget how to cast a spell once they've used it? The rules (p.42) appear to say yes, but in the thread above Jimmy appears to say otherwise.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Jim
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I have to take a look at pg. 42 once I get a book in front of me. but to answer your question: Hedge and Hermetic casters don't memorize spells individually. These casters have a number of spells they can cast per day (their repertoire), and can cast any spells they know that are available to them when they study.

Example:
Quote:
A Hedge mage has three 1st circle spells in his daily repertoire.

He has the 1st Circle spells Klutz, Fix, Friends, Double and Noise in his spellbook.

He hasn't learned Noise yet, but he can cast Klutz, Fix, Friends, and Double.

In one day, he casts Fix twice and Friends once. On another day he casts Fix, Friends, and Double. On another day he casts Klutz three times.

How's that?
JimLeCat
Strategoi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I get that, but the two things that puzzle me are (i) the bit on p.42 which says
Quote:
Each time a wizard studies, he commits to memory the spells he has
learned within his spell books. These spells remain in the wizardís
active memory, or repertoire, until those spells have been used.

implying that he does forget them and (ii) if a wizard doesn't forget his spells, what is to stop him from memorising all the spells he knows at home and leaving all his books safely behind?

Or does the use of the term 'repertoire' to apparently refer to the both the number of spells a wizard has memorised and the number he can cast in a day mean that poring over a spell-book is required for a wizard to recover his ability to cast? In effect, he has to forget all the spells he has memorised to recover his ability to cast, then re-memorise the spells again?

Cheers,
Jim
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimLeCat wrote:
Or does the use of the term 'repertoire' to apparently refer to the both the number of spells a wizard has memorised and the number he can cast in a day mean that poring over a spell-book is required for a wizard to recover his ability to cast? In effect, he has to forget all the spells he has memorised to recover his ability to cast, then re-memorise the spells again

Basically this. I admit the wording could be clearer. Something I will address in the next print. In effect, the wizard commits to memory those spells he has in his book when he studies (or memorizes), and yes,'reformats' his mental hard drive. the new spells are written to his memory and he can cast those. I admit that there are some oddities, but it worked well for us in play for years before making it into Wayfarers.

You'll see in Example of Gameplay this is addressed (in part) after Greg casts Magic Candle:

Quote:
Gregory Vrill: Huh. Ok, I guess weíll just pass the time and wait to see
if the storm passes. I donít really want to open the door in this. Can I
start memorizing my spell? I am only down one 1st Circle spell, but I
havenít anything better to do.

Fiona Gray: Iíll pull out my dice. Maybe Gilbert and Umbrage and I
can pass the time playing some dice games.

Gilbert Graves: Fine, but Iím not betting any money with you.

GM: That all sounds fine. Gregory, you can refresh your repertoire of
spells after 4 hours. -Iíll let you know when that time passes. Is there
anything else anyone would like to do?

The players shake their heads.

GM: Alright then, the storm continues for what seems to be several
hours. Gregory, you get your 1st Circle spell back. Judging by the light
from cracks in the cart, you think dusk is probably approaching.

Again, I admit isn't exactly clear if Greg gained one spell back, or if he overwrote his whole repertoire of memorized spells.

To be honest, for the sake of simplicity, I consider every session of memorization to be a complete overwrite of the previously committed spells. If Greg had previously memorized a spell that was no longer with him, he might want to wait until he cast that spell until he studied again.

BTW, thanks for bringing this up. It is definitely a place in the text where improvements can be made.
JimLeCat
Strategoi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! It all makes sense now! Thanks...

... although the idea of wizards having 'mental hard drives' makes me think of cyberpunk - or maybe a high-tech steampunk crossover!

Cheers,
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: