Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Lesser Spell Caster
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rex
Strategoi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I did think about having Ritual caster have all but 1 school and that would keep them in line with the other caster types.

As for going from a Lesser Mage to a Full Mage I have 2 possibilities a GM could use;

1) Just simply say that the character only has the "Arua" , Gift or other condition to use Lesser Magic and that is all they can ever cast.

2) Paying the cost of going to a full mage. I would say that the Lesser Mage would have to be topped out in the Lesser Magic and then pay at least the point difference between Lesser and Full Magic Potentials and Spell Circles.

eg; Lesser Hermetic to Full would cost at a minimum of 16 points.

The difference in the Magic Potentials, Hermetic is 10 points

The difference in purchasing 2nd and 3rd circle spell circles is 6

[ (10 + 6) + (10 + 9) ] - [ (7 + 6) + (7 + 9) ] = 6

If I read the Magic Potential description correctly purchasing it allows for casting 1st circle spells so only the costs of circles past the 1st circle need to be figured for the additional cost of the upgrade.

After all the upgrade points are paid the caster may advance as a full caster.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good stuff. I see another treatment of Lesser magic, including ideas for the transition of Lesser to to Full Potential, in an up-coming WGJ issue.

Definitely continue post any thoughts/developments on this here. I'll pick your brain again when the time comes.
Rex
Strategoi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I organized my notes and the ideas from this thread and wrote up what I think may be the final draft of the Lesser Magic optional rules.

Optional Lesser Magic Rules

The following optional rules for Lesser Hedge, Hermetic and Ritual magic are modeled from the Lesser Faith article in WGJ2 by Ars Mysteriorum and Jimmy Swill. Feedback from the forum was helpful also.
The costs for Lesser Magics are;
Lesser Hermetic Magic; 25 points Able to cast from 3 schools and limited to 3rd Circle Spells
Spell Circle (Hermetic) 7 + (3 x Circle)

Lesser Hedge Magic; 15 points Able to cast from 2 schools and limited to 2nd Circle Spells
Spell Circle (Hedge) 6 + (3 x Circle)

Lesser Ritual Magic; 15 points Ritual points as in book, access to 3 spheres and limited to 2nd Circle Rituals
Spell Circle (Ritual) 6 + (3 x Circle)

There are 3 options for Lesser Magics based of campaign setting. Option #1 is that the character only has the potential to cast lesser magic and can never achieve higher circles of magic. Option #2 allows the Lesser Mage to finish training or become fully ordained. The Lesser mage would pay the difference in the Lesser and Full Potential costs then be able to advance to 4th Circle as normal. Option #3 is a variation of option #1 with full circle advancement.

Option #1: Lesser Potential only. No advancement to Full Potentials.
For whatever reason the gamemaster and player decide on the player may only use Option #1. It could simply be that thru some mystical means it was divined that there is no greater magic potential. There could also be Social or Political reasons for not allowing a person of status or station to be a full caster. Use the costs listed above for Lesser Hermetic, Hedge and Ritual and Lesser Faith in WGJ2.
As with Lesser Faith casters Lesser Hermetic and Hedge casters may add 1 spell per day for each circle to their repertoire after achieving their maximum casting circles. They would pay the cost of their maximum circle; 16 points for Hermetic and 12 points for Hedge. This is in addition to the Extra Spell discipline. Lesser ritual casters would just continue to purchase Extra Spell Point discipline.

Option #2: Lesser Magic to Full Magic.
If Lesser Mages and Faith magic practitioners are allowed upgrade to Full casters the minimum point costs are;
 Lesser Hermetic to Full = 16 points
 Lesser Hedge to Full = 13 points
 Lesser Ritual to Full = 13 points
 Lesser Faith to Full = 23 point
These costs are the difference between lesser and full potential thru the maximum circles of the lesser magic. To use this option Lesser casters would not be able to purchase extra spells per circle per day as in option #1but could purchase the Extra Spell discipline. If they want more spells they would have to convert to a full caster. Casters will have to be topped out in Lesser Magic before paying the costs to upgrade to Full Magic.

Option #3; This is a variation of option #1.
The differences here are that the Lesser mage would be able to advance thru all circles but with the restrictions in domains, spheres and schools in option #1 and in WGJ2. When achieving the maximum circle here they would be able to purchase extra spells per circle per day but at the cost of 5th or 8th circle instead of 2nd or 3rd.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Rex. Each of the options makes sense.

Definitely good material for WGJ3. My initial thought is that I would go with option 2. Hm, now you've got me thinking...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: