Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Twylos: The Fourth Era, part 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> World of Twylos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's the best part of Twylos: 4th edition, I mean, Twylos: The Fourth Era?
Viral Magic
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
The Learning Tree
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
"My Healthy Living"
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
That I don't have to play in it
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Twylos: The Fourth Era, part 1 Reply with quote

Hi there.

So maybe you like Twylos. Maybe you'd like a second helping?

Here you go:
http://www.yeoldegamingcompanye.com/misc/twylos_update_01.pdf

Unfortunately it's been sitting out for a while and has gone a little rancid.

This will appear in the first issue of the tentatively-named "Wayfarers Guild Journal".

Features Viral Magic, Grito, and lots of clones!

Stay tuned for the next episode, which will have Murphy the cat, Golem Town, and your favorite NPC Cancer Karl.

Swill and anyone else who wants to edit, it's in dropbox.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure, everyone's seen a darn orc dungeon or evil wizard's tower. Let's take it a little farther.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to vote twice. "My Healthy Living" is hilarious, and it is Grito after all. -I'm very glad to see Apprentice Steve. However, Viral magic is just too cool.

In short the 4th era of Twylos is brilliant. Just incredible. Viral Magic is fantastic and those spells deserve a full treatment. K’Teauva and the Vat and Vhog Sathar are nasty goodness. Great to see Sterling too.

You've outdone yourself, Greg.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Swill. I've got writeups for 1st Circle Viral Magic, but it was getting long, it's already 15 pages without that, so I'll save that for installment 2.

As far as I can tell, no reason to stick this in staff only, we can discuss all this stuff here.

I've been assuming that Viral Magic is about 2 Circles higher in power, relative to a corresponding Hedge/Hermetic spell. I'll send the full listing when it's done for editorial advice.

The goal here has been to skirt the lines between the surreal and absurd, without letting it become silly or stupid. I mean, an Ixian lichlord named Aprill-Mireille Strawberry is pretty close to stupid, as is "My Healthy Living".

Part of this is meant to be parody though- certainly "My Healthy Living" is satire of lots of stuff wrong with our contemporary world, McDonald's, MySpace, etc. Even the name is derived from Monsanto, a candidate for true evil today. And the whole Grito thing, from it's DiD beginnings, was parody of the 'evil wizard takes over a city' thing.

Seriously, if anything feels TOO over the top, let me know.
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twylos gold almost made me cry....

I'm glad he got his hug.

I like what you did with Sterling.

Everything else is really good too.
wolfie
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I rather like Twylos as it stands. If I were to run it I guess the Typhonae? would be only a cult with delusions of grandeur, and let things continue as they are, more or less. Hope you don't mind.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, brilliant. Yeah, the Typhonae are so over-the-top that they have to be wrong.

And thanks, glad you like Twylos as-is.

Some of Twylos 4th Era is meant to be inspirational or comedic, rather than just applied literally- "My Healthy Living" I'm not sure would work for most gaming groups, for example... kind of in the spirit of stuff like "Diamond Blue".

Honestly, my players pretty much hated Viral Magic and the world it was designed for ("Narbohring 9000"). But the new group I'm gaming with is more partial to misery and sort of, eh, a 'sturm und drang' style and feel to the world. Three of us have played and loved Fallout 3. Plus, two of these players were involved, in-game, in many of the events described in Twylos, and brought them about... all the stuff in example campaign 2, with Smalls and Larissa, Ixondr and Muriel, the Dream Realm, that was the last campaign I ran. So they basically already know everything about 'Twylos' as it stands, meaning I've gotta come up with new stuff. They go for the bizarre and awful, so I'm going to test out some ideas writing them up for Twylos 4E.
wolfie
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing You guys should try Stormbringer (or Elric! as the latest incarnation is called). Talk about bizarre and awful. And I ran it off and on for years. Twenty years, more or less. So I want a setting with some stability or at least the promise of stability and things getting better. That's just where my head is at right now, too much gloom and doom for too long. Twylos is very much in the running and maybe I am going to run the system too. I am not through evaluating, running trial combats to see how I handle it, and so on. I may stick to BRP, nothing personal but I can run that system without even thinking about it. Yours looks good, but you never know till you actually get down and dirty by using a new system.

Your viral magic is interesting, and I would hate to be running my wizard in that situation. That trilogy I keep mentioning, Shadows..., had a type of magic called 'vir'. Basically it is a parasite that lends power greater than that available to a 'normal' mage and in return siphons off life force that is fed to an evil goddess. Nifty stuff. The vir is also somewhat addictive to use.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear you Wolfie. Viral Magic was a bum deal for wizards when I first encountered it. The concept is awesome. However, I think in that first campaign it was more like a magical sickness than anything else. I like Greg's new concept of it being a functional type of magic rather than HIV for wizards.

No kidding, I once played a priest of the sun in one of Greg's old campaigns where the sun went out in the 1st session. This was way back when we were kids, but talk about 'sturm und drang'. Greg and I differ slightly in our tastes, as I have a higher tolerance for high-fantasy. I like demi-humans. Greg, not so much.

I am going to be using Twylos to run a game soon, and I'm taking things in more of a renaissance/empire direction. I really like the guilds and churches, and want to concentrate on a lot of the conflicts that come with their growing influences. I am thinking about a kind of Napoleonic war/crusade motif. The guild of opticians might just discover something that does something very bad to Thenzor, creating a mega-dungeon.

No offense at all if you stick with what you know. You can only play one game. I have to say you are a conscientious GM to run trial combats, etc. I haven't played BRP. But regarding Wayfarers I'd give the following advice: Ganging up in combat can drop folk quicker than you might expect. Thus, big monsters and NPCs can fall fast if they are on their own. Magic is potent stuff and I prefer more mundanes than casters in a PC party. If you have a lot of caster PCs, don't normalize opponents to their martial ability, consider the most combat-able member of the party when you think about their adversaries. -Have NPCs/smart creatures go after the casters and use environmental advantages. In short, I think things work best when your NPCs employ strategy as much as players. Wayfarers runs best when the GM is the Game Master, not just a rules arbitrator. Proficiencies checks are typically meant to be made when you call for them. They are mostly about a player knowing "I'm pretty good at this". As a GM, call for them when you are more interested in a slight chance of failure than a slight chance of success. If the players call for it when they shouldn't succeed, give a very high target, say it can't be done, or just ask for a check, but only give a partial success for even the highest rolls.

Also, zombies are a fun surprise. I don't know anything about BRP zombies, but Wayfarers zombies pack an unexpected punch. Smile

At any rate, feel free to share your findings or any thoughts you might have. It's appreciated.
wolfie
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Twlos is 'bloody brilliant', as Ron Weasly would say. The relationships between the religions, guilds, and struggling governments creates a vibrant background that is generating ideas every time I read a bit farther into it. The rules look good, and I would love to play it. And I have a feeling the two go together well. Sooo...I'll try it that way if I get the chance, first. I like it too much to trash it in a couple decades of game time, so no Fouth Age for me.
GrumpyJester
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Fourth Era looks fun as a possible campaign, but not as part of the main setting. Third Era is great as a start-off point. It's the quiet before the storm. Important aspects from the past (say, the Arcanos) are still relatively mysterious, and the previous (Second) Era was one mostly of mundane wars. This makes the coming 'crazy' all the more powerful.

So while it's a cool setting twist on its own (more a post-apocalypse setting rather than a pre-apocalypse one), I don't think it would work well as a default for Twylos.
Gregory Vrill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the feedback.

I completely agree, and your characterization of the Third and Second Eras is dead-on. I think of 'Fourth Era Twylos' as basically more of an art project rather than a serious attempt at describing a new campaign. I mainly want to provide some provocative ideas, especially that are more sci-fi than fantasy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> World of Twylos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: