Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

New to the site, initial dumb questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoMonkulus
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: New to the site, initial dumb questions Reply with quote

Hi, everyone. I just posted in the hello forum. I'm just getting into Wayfarers, and I really, really like it! I mentioned several reasons in my intro post, but I'll reiterate here that I love the character creation system, and the fact that rules, system, monsters, and setting are all in one book.

More than a year ago (or thereabouts), I downloaded the free pdf of this game before it was released on rpgnow. I like the game enough that I want to support the company and pick up the pdf (the price is so nice) as well as a hard copy. I have a few questions, though ... and I did try a forum search to see if these had been answered anywhere (they probably have, so I apologize in advance if I have missed something obvious):

1. obviously, there's going to be a difference or two between the free pdf and the official release. I noticed that even looking at the preview. What are the differences between the two, and is there a compiled list somewhere?

2. I'm looking at picking up the hardcover--but I know that shipping and occasionally binding with Lulu are problems. Has anyone had any issues with the dead tree versions?

Even though I already have the free version, I'm going to support the game by spending money on it, and I'm also hoping to write a review after I actually get to play a game. Thanks to the authors for a great rpg!
Dag
Demiurge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have a single complaint about the hard cover.

It is brilliant.

It stands up well under normal use. My kids flip through it and it has thus far survived.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site, initial dumb questions Reply with quote

All good things to hear.

hoMonkulus wrote:
I have a few questions, though ...

1. obviously, there's going to be a difference or two between the free pdf and the official release. I noticed that even looking at the preview. What are the differences between the two, and is there a compiled list somewhere?

No, there isn't a compiled list. I don't recall too many differences though. It was pretty much the real deal. Typos, a few sentences here and there... Hm. Tell you what. -PM me when you order a book, and I'll solve your PDF disparity issue.

Quote:
2. I'm looking at picking up the hardcover--but I know that shipping and occasionally binding with Lulu are problems. Has anyone had any issues with the dead tree versions?

Well, the Hardcover comes straight from us with $6 shipping anywhere. We've had some trouble with them getting a bit beat up when sent internationally, but if you are in the US, they seem to fare well. Noble Knight sells them online too, and depending on where you are, they could be cheaper. Also a few stores in Michigan, The Source in Minnesota, Leisure Games in London. -The next print run will probably have a wider distribution. -It's a long story.

The Paperback from Lulu is usually good, but every once in a while they slop on the binding glue. The paperbacks are very durable though. I've managed to crack the binding on one hardcover. No pages falling out or anything, but I did crack it. I'm a bit rough with it though. I have backup copies. Smile

Quote:
Even though I already have the free version, I'm going to support the game by spending money on it, and I'm also hoping to write a review after I actually get to play a game. Thanks to the authors for a great rpg!

Great to hear it. Thanks!
hoMonkulus
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I'm at work creating various characters, and waiting for my hardback to arrive in the mail.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to VA I assume. Smile My guess is that it will arrive Friday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: