Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarOfTheTrees
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: compatibility Reply with quote

How compatible is wayfarers to older editions of d&d?

Can i use my 2e monstrous manual?
Harold Riley
Demiurge

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried it, but I do think it would be possible without too much heavy-lifting. AC, damage, and HP have obvious conversions that probably could go 1 for 1. I think the trickiest thing is special abilities requiring saves, but even then, not too bad. It'd be kind of interesting as a direct 1 for 1 transform might shift the monster's power some.

I might be wrong, but I think there is some sort of legal stuff in the OGL that prevents Jimmy and Greg from advancing compatibility with certain products, -at least within the books, and probably on the boards as well.

I think I'll grab a book and give it a go myself. I don't have the 2E MM, but I have 1E MM1, MM2 and FF with me.
WarOfTheTrees
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose i loaded this question a bit.

Swords and wizardry, lab lords and other simulacra are really making the waves they are by exploiting compatability with older editions. Using the same ogl license.

This is what wayfares needs is the option to use material that allready exists. Of which there are mountains.

How hard would it be to run older modules?
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't imagine it would be hard at all to run an old 1e module, but you'd have to decide a few things. 1e tended to eschew things like skills or proficiencies in the Wayfarers sense, so you may have to assign rolls in places where there formerly weren't any. And of course saving throws need to be redone, with difficulties assigned. So in short, sure, you can run the modules, but you need to do some conversion work.

I'd been thinking about converting 1e monsters myself recently, since Wayfarers omits some iconic creatures, like owlbears. Jimmy and Greg may not be able to publish it, but maybe someone could throw together a fan supplement about it when he's near his 1e MM again.

Off the top of my head- Nix Frequency, Alignment, No. Appearing, Frequency in Lair, Treasure Type, and Psionic Ability. Armor Class is going to require some human judgment, since you will have to determine what the creatures Dodge and Armor are. Not a problem for stuff like elves, who just dodge, but for a bulette you have to make a call and go with it.

So with, let's say Dire Corbies from the Fiend Folio:
Dodge: 14 (AC 6, and they don't look like armored creatures, so let's just invert Thac0 and figure it out)
Health Points: 6+1d4 (They are 2 HD, so that's an average of 8 hp)
Intellect: 5-8 (make it up, 1e only gives guidelines)
Physical Resistance: +1 (Once again, make it up, I decided to make them about as hardy as their 8 hit points suggest)
Mental Resistance: +0 (Ditto)
Average Size: Same as in original.
Attacks: Claws: 2 x 1d6 (same as in original)
To-Hit: +4 (inverting Thac0)
Hide/Armor: None (or by worn armor)
Initiative Modifier: +2 (Made this up)
Movement Rate: Same as in original.

So there you go. Corbies don't have much HP, they're middlin' hard to hit, they have a good attack bonus and two attacks that do ok damage. Basically, converting monsters takes the same amount of time as detailing up new ones.

Hope this answers your questions.
Warden
Strategoi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't stop there, please, do go on Very Happy
greyfaced
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the easiest and crudest way to convert OD&D monsters' HP would be to start with a base 8 Health and then add double their hit die. If they are a high hit point creature you could treble it. Saves would be harder but not much. It would depend on who much skill the person running the game has with "wingin it". The tougher part would be spells and spell like abilities which would have to be dealt with one at a time, but once a basic plan is worked out I think it would go rather quickly. Especially if you kept the abilities and spells the same and just worked out a conversion for saves.

It might be good to work a saves conversion and just have that done, but I'm not sure how the staff here would feel about posting a straight conversion of D&D saves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: