Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

So far very pleased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarOfTheTrees
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: So far very pleased Reply with quote

The hardcover edition of this book is money well spent.

I have been collecting editions of D&D, AD&D, simulacra, C&C, etc etc needless to say i have a good number of systems to choose from.

Your system has exceeded my expectations. I think this is a problem you need to address. My expectations were low. I thought the system would be confusing and be poorly represented.

Mostly this was because your forums are the same 4 people. 2 of them the guys who wrote the book!

Also the reviews have been only o.k. not enough exposure.

Heres the thing...This is a really good game. Its a little confusing sometimes, but a really good system. Well written, and well thought out.

I would like to help out if i can. I'm tired right now and am going to bed, but i wanted to drop a line. I need to think about this s'more.

I am really enjoying my new book...thanks a bunch... Les
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to hear this. Of course, it's great to hear you like the game. However, the points you make are not lost on us.

Begin Jimmy tangent:

As far as expectations, that's a tough one, and it's one we at the YOGC have discussed a bit. Wayfarers is an anomaly of sorts. It is not a retro-clone, and it might not even be simulacra, depending on who you ask. In fact, I've personally approached some folk in the retro-clone/old-school scene just for their opinion. Most everyone likes what Wayfarers is, but no one is sure what to call it, or if it should be included in retro clone/old-school forums, zines, etc. Complicating things further, there seems to be a general first impression that any system that carries the OGL but steps far away from the retro-clone model is likely to be a 'Fantasy Heartbreaker'. As a result, selling Wayfarers is a bit funny. There's a bunch of sensibilities in the community that are easy to be stepped on, and misconceptions are pretty much the rule.

In addition, I'd personally prefer to promise less than we deliver, rather than the other way around. All of this, combined with the budget of a fledgling gaming company, and you have a soft-sell scenario. That said, if there's a nice way to get people to know the system that we aren't trying, I'm all ears.

Quote:
Mostly this was because your forums are the same 4 people. 2 of them the guys who wrote the book!

Hey, c'mon now, there's at least 6 of us posting, and scores of lurkers! Smile -Cest' la vie.

Quote:
Also the reviews have been only o.k. not enough exposure.

I've been pretty pleased with our reviews. However, I do think we have yet to have a review that reflects a very in-depth look at the system. However, to be fair, we are a new game, and there is a lot of material in Wayfarers to cover. -There is another review for RPG.net in the works, actually. Keep an eye out for it. Who knows, maybe we'll get panned. Still working on exposure.

Quote:
Heres the thing...This is a really good game. Its a little confusing sometimes, but a really good system. Well written, and well thought out.

It's appreciated. We really put a lot of effort into it. Not just me and Greg, but our artists and some of the guys on these forums, Greyfaced and Moth in particular had some very influential ideas. It's very early, but we are compiling ideas and feedback for the future. I don't think any system can be perfect, but if we can improve upon this one enough, eventually we will. No crazy overhauls, just sensible adjustments.

Quote:
I would like to help out if i can. I'm tired right now and am going to bed, but i wanted to drop a line. I need to think about this s'more.

Anything of the sort is much appreciated. Definitely keep us in the loop and let us know if we can help.

Quote:

I am really enjoying my new book...thanks a bunch... Les

NP. That's what it's all about. This hobby can really kick-ass at times. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing like it.

Thanks for the thoughts.
WarOfTheTrees
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wayfarers is to 2e, as castles and crusades is to d&d.

Whatever model c&c is using is applicable, although i have yet to purchase their core rules. I only so far have their collectors box, which is an abbreviated rule set.

Your site is very nice, but i read the whole thing in one sitting. This is a good thing, it means i am starving for more info about your product.

Matthew Finch of Mythmere games, is everywhere i go as an enthusiast. He is a member of every site that any potential enthusiast may go to. I heard about wayfarers at Dragonsfoot, but it was more of an afterthought.

Definately need more "fill".

Hope i am not peeing in anyones cornflakes. Just throwing some thoughts out at random.

This game is good. It needs support.
Moth
Heuristician

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WarOfTheTrees wrote:
I think Wayfarers is to 2e, as castles and crusades is to d&d.

That's an interesting angle. I tend to think of it as kind of an alternate universe 3rd edition. You raise an interesting point, C&C and Wayfarers are both about preserving the core elements that make D&D enjoyable while updating some of the clunkier elements. I think Wayfarers does a better job, but I'm probably kind of biased. I've never read C&C, so is there some element of your comparison I'm missing?

WarOfTheTrees wrote:
Definately need more "fill".

Can you clarify what you mean here?

WarOfTheTrees wrote:
Hope i am not peeing in anyones cornflakes. Just throwing some thoughts out at random.

It's cool. Everyone here likes talking about the game. Some of the worst indictments of its elements, i.e. the alchemy rules, came from one of the authors.

WarOfTheTrees wrote:
This game is good. It needs support.

Agreed!
WarOfTheTrees
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've never read C&C, so is there some element of your comparison I'm missing?

You should read about C&C sometime. Its a nice tidy system. Rules light.

The skills and disciplines of wayfarers are comparable to C&C's "siege engine" in that they focus on giving positive modifiers to chosen areas, in C&C's case you chose which attributes can be modified and then checks are made against attributes when needed.

[/quote]Can you clarify what you mean here?

[/quote]

"Fill" means i need more fuel. More support. Its not enough to just have a book, you really need a community. This isnt a rant at all, but when i am not reading the book, i want to be able to find out more about the game.

I think that YOGC needs to get more involved with the gaming community at large. Thats why i used Mathew Finch as an example. That fricken guy is everywhere.
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Matt Finch pops up in a lot of places. He seems to be a good guy, too.

I do post intermittently on RPG.net and have a couple of times at Dragonsfoot. You'll also find me in the Grognardia comments from time to time. I enjoy it. However, I do have a day job, and time spent on boards is time I can't spend on the game. It's a tough balance.

Also, I think there's only so much anyone wants to hear about a game from the game's creator. I can get my signature link out there, but I only want to bring up Wayfarers where it is relevant to the discussion at hand. When someone else says "Hey check out Wayfarers, it's cool." -It carries a lot more weight than when I do it.

More support is coming. We are currently at work on the second issue of the Wayfarers Guild Journal, and forum member Hybban and I are putting together a module that is geared towards running a con game. He's running one in North Carolina this month.

We are taking a different approach with Wayfarers when it comes to support material. The main device for support is the Wayfarers Guild Journal, a type of digest. Anything having to do with the game, modules, thoughts, home-brews, tweaks, new spells, skills, creatures, etc., created by the YOGC staff or outside players can go in it. This next issue will be bigger, and will contain commissioned art. As more issues are published, material for the game will grow. We are keen on involving the community, and growing the game as part of a conversation between us and its players.

That said, we have made the game open content, and people can create and sell their own Wayfarers material as well, which we will support. We aren't focusing on compatibility with other games ourselves. Of course, that does make it a harder slog for us, but we think the compatibility area is well-covered, and it's not what we set out to do in the first place. However, if someone wants to do it, that's perfectly fine by us.

In short, I think we are in the shallow part of a growth curve, but working hard to get more material and support out there.
WarOfTheTrees
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good response.

I'm pretty much finished reading the book, although i have only skimmed the Twylos section ( it looks very usefull for campaign building purposes).

I'm really stoked about this book. Its speaking to me. While i was at work today I came up with some ideas for a game i am trying to put together for my wife.

What really impresses me is how seamlessly the mechanics work.

Good job
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: