Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Why I love Wayfarers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongolia Jones
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Why I love Wayfarers Reply with quote

I purchased Wayfarer's in April, no game has excited me as much ever since 3e dnd was released. Unfortunately, after a few months once I became an expert on the system I became disillusioned with dnd. As a player and GM the game seemed too restrictive.

These are just some of the reason's I fell in love with Wayfarer's and consequently will run a group this summer.

-> players can custom design almost any character concept
-> 1e nostalgia
-> the game does not have a culture of needing balance between the characters (easier to GM where players have this hangup)
-> real in-game combat advantage to wearing lighter armors vs heavier armor
-> armor ABSORBS damage (big one for me)
-> simple rules set with lots of options
-> 9th level is considered high level again (yay)
-> a 2nd level character/monster is a credible threat to an 8th level character
-> mass destruction spells (i.e. fireball) moved from 5th/6th level casters to 9th/10th level casters (no more battlefield/war campaigns where mid-level casters throw these spells left and right)
-> monsters are easy to GM and easy to design (lots of ideas and concepts that were too difficult for me to implement in other systems)
-> world setting has just enough information (but not too much so) for me to run with

I was wondering why some of you like/love Wayfarer's, some of your reasons may help me sway some of the more obstinate players in my group.
Morgannon
Heuristician

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongolia,

Great post. Many of your points hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned.

For myself, I find that Wayfarers successfully addresses the vast majority of the major problems with the systems that inspired it.

Things like stunting meaningful, enriching character development by forcing characters down a class (or whatever you want to call it) path, or the CONSTANT dumming down of gaming systems as new editions roll out. These things are major turn-offs to me as a player, and one of the reasons I love Wayfarers so much.

Then there's the little things, like (as you mentioned) armor actually absorbing damage. In Wayfarers, the rules are simple and make sense, and remove just one more of those features of other system that have just bugged me pretty much since I've been playing RPGs. Mages not being able to wear armor / weild a sword, and other nonsense fits under this umbrella too, and Wayfarers handles this magnificently IMO.

I could go on and on, but I guess if I were trying to convince obstinate players, I would just say this:

Anybody who has ever played a PC in a campaign setting is familiar with that tension when your knowledge of how your character should be progressing just butts right up against the rules of the system you're playing in, and it just doesn't make sense. I know you know that feeling of frustration and saying to yourself "This is so lame." Wayfarers lets you go there.
And at the same time, it doesn't sacrifice anything to do it. It's hard to describe, but the mechanics are such that it is just fun to play. Combat is a blast, and it just has the "right amount of dice rolling in the right circumstances" if that makes any sense. It's one of those hard to quantify aspects of an RPG that is critically important to the flow and enjoyment of a night spent gaming Smile

I dig Wayfarers as much for what it is as for what it isn't.

Have your crew run a mini campaign (couple months/weeks perhaps) with Wayfarers, then take a vote on which system they want to use. I'd be willing to place a wager that they'll stick with Wayfareres Smile
Warden
Strategoi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all under one cover.

As Fandalf once said:

"One Book to rule them all, One Book to find them,
One Book to bring them all and around the table bind them
In the Land of Twylos where your destinies lie..."

I got all I could ever want (ok maybe a few more monster pics) right here under one hunk o' love.

Game on! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> Wayfarers RPG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: