Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index Ye Olde Gaming Companye
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Ye Olde Chat
YOGC Forum RSS
YOGC News on Twitter YOGC News at Gokode

Attracting 4e gamers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfie
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Attracting 4e gamers? Reply with quote

This is perhaps wishful thinking. Wayfarers is a pretty simple fast and freewheeling game from what I have absorbed so far. The play examples in the book remind me of the style I used when I ran Stormbringer or Call of Cthulhu. I see 4e games at the local store all the time, and having watched some games in play (for as long as I could stomach it) I can see a style of gaming, in play, almost diametrically opposed to what I would call a 'fantasy role playing game'. Now, and please don't take this the wrong way, Wayfarers has certain elements in common with 3e-4e that just might attract some of the 4e players into trying it if presented in just the right way. The Disciplines are superficially similar to feats until you look a little deeper, for instance. Your system looks similar but different in so many ways I think I might get some of the gamers there to try it. They sure won't try BRP. I would bash 4e some, but somebody here would probably take offense so I won't...lets just say I would rather dig ditches for entertainment. Some of the practitioners just might be salvageable, though. What do you think?
brak
Strategoi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like a good idea, but you'd probably have to wait a few years until they're bored with it first. i think many gamers will outgrow 4e in due time. that's when we strike from the shadows with our home brews and simulacra!
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never be against exposing new folk to Wayfarers, regardless of what they are playing. But yeah, I do know where you are coming from Wolfie. There's definitely a superficially 'modern' aspect to Wayfarers. You could probably get some sweet builds out of the system Smile.

My thought (hope) is that Wayfarers lends itself to a different kind of gaming than 4e, but I can't see why players of one might not enjoy the other. Maybe they would for exactly that reason.

Like you said, I wouldn't go into it with "You're doing it wrong!", as much as "Hey guys, check this out. It's similar but different."

Of course, let us know how it goes!
Ars Mysteriorum
Demiurge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually the world will see that the Wayfarers way is the Right and Good way, superior to all other ways.

Bah to builds. If the concept isn't cool, the character never will be either.
wolfie
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I note that making a character in Wayfarers is similar if not so obsessed with small stuff, power, and 'cool stuff'. Whatever the reason, I am making characters for Wayfarers tonite and finding it fun, which I never experienced with 3e (not to mentiond my general dissatisfaction with same). I have a pretty competent beginning wizard, first off. I don't know if this is the right place to ask a question, but here goes anyway. Is a D20 rolled for unskilled weapon use, before any points are spent on them? So could my wizard pick up a sword, staff, dagger or whatever and roll a D20 to hit? It seems the first tier of weapon skill is 'weapon mastery'. Am I missing something and looking like an idiot?

I don't quite understand the spell mechanism, but I think it's something like the matrices in Earthdawn, that is you always KNOW the spells but must prepare the requisite number of castings in what ever circles you can cast and then can cast any spells you KNOW, in any combinations, using the various Circles. Correct? And the four hours are always required for priparation of any number of castings, whether just one or all of them? (If you had a dozen 'castings' of varying power it would be four hours, or one Circle 1 'casting' the same.)
wolfie
Ecclesia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that should have been put in the Wayfarers game discussion forum. Sorry about that. Embarassed
JimmySwill
YOGC Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfie wrote:
I think that should have been put in the Wayfarers game discussion forum. Sorry about that. Embarassed

NP Wolfie. I answered you here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ye Olde Gaming Companye Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: